81-7 much lower output than 707?

• Thread starter pipelineaudio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
I have two nearly identical guitars and the guitar with the 707 is 4-6 dB louder than the 81-7. I have them both wired to tone and volume bypass when testing. Is this normal?

Edit: Just got off the phone with EMG, they said this sounds about right, also that my 707 neck should be a bit louder than my 85-7 neck

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
That's mad. I never knew the 707 had way more output than the 81.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The 707 has a fuller overall sound output range. The 85 is also technically higher output than the 81. They all hit the front end of the amp a bit differently though.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
707 always did sound like it had more ommph to it when I'd hear direct comparisons. As for the 85. I've never found it higher output than the 81. It's just looser and not near as compressed. I don't like either one personally but I know EMG has other options that I really like.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
They should have the same mV and µA outputs, but the 707 is a lot bassier. Is the 6 dB difference the same across the individually plucked strings? If so, there might be something wrong. 6 dB would be approximately 4 times as much output in mV.

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
It seems pretty even across the strings. I didn't have an analog meter to see where these things went, but peak to peak, my measurements were exactly what EMG said they would expect. If you are finding differently, you should let EMG know.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
That was NUTS!

Did you watch the Nevermore video? There used to be a video of Jeff Loomis playing that exact song live with Chris Broderick, another badass 7 string guitar player. But that video was taken down, but Broderick harmonized the last solo, not like Steve Smyth who only played the rhythm section.

Check this one out - this one of them playing live jamming blows my mind! Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick were the next Marty Friedman and Jason Becker!

Zhysick

Reaction score
Nevermore was AWESOME. I saw them live like ten years ago... Mercenary, Psychotic Waltz, Nevermore and Symphony X. All of them the same afternoon/evening. MIND BLOWING. That's too much for a person to handle in the same day... SX and Nevermore were just perfect in their shows, amazing performance. Warrel was amazing, singing effortless and Jeff playing was so great that I felt inspired to practice more but then I saw Michael Romeo playing those solos and rhytms smiling and walking around like if he was smoking a cigarette and I just wanted to stop playing the guitar forever :lol:

I say it again: MIND BLOWING

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Nevermore was AWESOME. I saw them live like ten years ago... Mercenary, Psychotic Waltz, Nevermore and Symphony X. All of them the same afternoon/evening. MIND BLOWING. That's too much for a person to handle in the same day... SX and Nevermore were just perfect in their shows, amazing performance. Warrel was amazing, singing effortless and Jeff playing was so great that I felt inspired to practice more but then I saw Michael Romeo playing those solos and rhytms smiling and walking around like if he was smoking a cigarette and I just wanted to stop playing the guitar forever :lol:

I say it again: MIND BLOWING

Yeah Nevermore was amazing! And speaking of Symphony X? One of my best friends saw them live in Calgary one time, then he hungout with Michael Romeo afterwards and lit his cigarette!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you watch the Nevermore video? There used to be a video of Jeff Loomis playing that exact song live with Chris Broderick, another badass 7 string guitar player. But that video was taken down, but Broderick harmonized the last solo, not like Steve Smyth who only played the rhythm section.

Check this one out - this one of them playing live jamming blows my mind! Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick were the next Marty Friedman and Jason Becker!

I love it when this turns up. I was 15 feet from this on the side of the stage, since we opened the show. It was awesome to watch.

')