81 yr old man decides to retire

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got little to add that's constructive, but I regain a bit of hope for humanity when I see how reinvigorated some folks are just at the prospect of having any other choice than two bumbling fossils.
The thing that's funny to me is anyone on the right griping about Kamala's age, when Tang is 20 years older than her. He's odd/old man out now.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My vote goes to Sasha Banks
This is where my vote is going

20240724_122622.jpg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think the reason things are so upside down is because we didn't really....have....a campaign cycle. From what I saw, Dems didn't really get a choice on whether or not Biden was their guy. When he decided to take his ball and go home, you've got this gigantic pool of 'fuck Trump' energy that needs a direction; and with Kamala being the most immediate choice, that's where it goes. I don't think most of the general electorate chomping at the bit for her right now really know or care about what she thinks about anything policy-related. She can channel the fuck Trump energy at least as well as Joe did and that's enough.

I think the fact that she's a woman is largely beneficial. Most of the surge in organic support I've seen for her so far is the same crowd that went all-in on Hillary specifically because she's a woman and "it's about time." Tack on the fact that she isn't 739 years old, removing age from the equation after it just drove Biden into retirement, and even allows them to flip the script on Trump since now he's the old guy? It doesn't matter that she fell flat on her face on policy when she ran in 2020. She's killing it right now on all of the lowest common denominator, lizard-brain points that are plainly evident to the general populace. Not Trump, not old, making history, and not a wild card. I think it will peter out come the election but I do think the Dems are better off now, strangely. idk man it's been a wild ride these last couple months.
I figure there's a finite amount of time before one of the MAGA crew here gets hurt and tries to get this shut down, but until that happens, I can at least try to provide some thoughtful input. :lol:

I'd been in favor of swapping Biden for Harris (I figured anyone else was a longshot) because I figured while neither outcome was great for Democrats, she offered a marginally wider path forward. And even with the advantage of being confident who the eventual nominee would be, I still fell into the same trap that a lot of pundits did, where they focused on this question solely as it pertains to Biden - does it hurt the party more to run an old and seemingly becoming senile man, or to do a swap this late in the game for another candidate?

And, belatedly, I think we're all seeing Kamala Harris came with some pretty strong advantages that we didn't really take into account:

*Harris, as an outspoken proponent, just made abortion a central issue to this campaign again, when thus far it had been mostly which candidate was less fit to hold office. Abortion is a winning issue for Democrats - it has broad popular support despite GOP elected official opposition, and the GOP has yet to come up with a unified party stance on whether or not abortion should be regulated at the state level or banned federally, so it's a minefield for them.
*Doubly so now that Vance is Trump's GOP pick, and with Vance having suggested we should go beyond providing weapons and provide direct military support for Israel, potentially committing US troops... Harris has been much more outspoken about Israel's campaign in the Gaza strip and more open in her support of Palestinian civil rights. Biden had been caught in the middle here, in the same sort of no-win scenario the GOP now faces over abortion. Moving to Harris side steps that debate, and in particular this will help shore up support with younger voters.
*Trump cannot help himself, and WILL say something racist or sexist, likely before the end of the month, about Harris. He'd made some limited inroads into female and minority voters over eonomic issues; he's likely to blow that. A friend was telling me on the drive down from New Hampshire she saw a truck with a decal of a bound and gagged Biden, like he was tied up in the truck - for better or for worse an older white man is about the only person in this country you can do that to without it coming off like a hate crime. Can you picture the outrage if someone starts selling truck decals of a bound and gagged half-black, half-Indian woman?
*There's been a clear enthusiasm gap, even a bit before the debate, but certainly after that. I thought Harris could help close that a little - instead, she locked up enough delegates in 24 hours to secure the election while pulling in a record $100mm in new donations, including 65% first time donors, and writing on Wednesday that total is now over $250 since Biden stepped down and she became a candidate. I think there's a new enthusiasm gap, and it's on Trump's side.

Her tenure as the border czar, and the need to secure a swing state, plus the need to replace Biden's foreign policy experience, makes Mark Kelly a pretty solid pick for VP, and I think that's where my money is now (come to think of it, I should put actual money down, I'd meant to a few weeks back on Harris, gotta make up for that) to round out the ticket.

But, honestly, looking at the reaction now... I think it'll ne a while before we see good polling and even thhat will be tough to interpret becase I think likely voter modeling is going to be a challenge an where Harris's strength lies... but I think she's probably the favorite now. the last 72 hours have really surprised me.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I figure there's a finite amount of time before one of the MAGA crew here gets hurt and tries to get this shut down, but until that happens, I can at least try to provide some thoughtful input. :lol:

Please, just because fortune 500 companies and average Americans are realizing cancel culture is dead, doesn't mean the dweebs here realize it.

I'm just waiting for Stevie to call me a cunt again so Alex can delete the evidence...again.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll do a few of you a favor and clarify a few things you seemingly have missed.

The policy change, to whatever extent it actually matters or exists, was because the administrator is too busy managing larger communities and does not want to have to micromanage this one just because people can't get along with each other.

That doesn't mean we can't discuss or debate, really anything. What that means is that you shouldn't expect him to swoop in and intervene. He's made it clear he doesn't want to be bothered. That's the only consistent thing in the current policy.

You learn to deal with each other or to deal with The mod squad or go somewhere else. That's just how things are here from now on.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only reason these threads are getting locked is to avoid rambling long winded threads with the same people arguing each other about the same things.

If you want to discuss the matter at hand fine. If you want to argue with each other, that's fine too. Once it's clearly exhausted itself, the thread gets locked and we could hope that you'll reset the next time you get the opportunity. If all you care about is arguing with each other and not having a discussion you should rethink participating on this forum or any forum.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Please, just because fortune 500 companies and average Americans are realizing cancel culture is dead, doesn't mean the dweebs here realize it.

I'm just waiting for Stevie to call me a cunt again so Alex can delete the evidence...again.
Not sure what "cancel culture" has to do with anything I just said. But hey, cool story bro!

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
• Harris is going to make the GOP trip over themselves on an abortion position
• She also mostly dodged the Israel-Palestine bullet while Vance is out in the weeds
• Trump gunna Trump and Harris has a very powerful position over Trump in terms of optics
• She is swimming in money, both inherited from the Biden campaign and new contributions; and people are excited to vote for someone who didn't hunt dinosaurs when they were young

But, honestly, looking at the reaction now... I think it'll ne a while before we see good polling and even thhat will be tough to interpret becase I think likely voter modeling is going to be a challenge an where Harris's strength lies... but I think she's probably the favorite now. the last 72 hours have really surprised me.
Agreed on all fronts. Assuming this was planned, which it sounds like it was to some degree, this was an absolute masterstroke by the Dems. They get to drop most of Biden's baggage and simultaneously invalidate most of the GOP prep work. All of Trump's campaigning against Biden is now irrelevant, all of that time and money wasted. Now they need to start fresh against a new target and the path they're likely going to take is to try and osmosis her into all of those talking points since she was part of Joe's administration but I don't think that's really going to stick with independents.

If they want to retread all the ground from the 2020 primaries I also don't think it's going to matter because this is another anti-Trump election. It's less about voting FOR somebody and more about voting AGAINST somebody, and if she's going to be that figurehead, I don't think dredging all of that up is really going to help them much either. She's just a stronger figurehead than Biden was.

Super interesting to watch. Nerve wracking to live through but super interesting to watch.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

off topic but when was the last time you had sex? just wondering lol

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
off topic but when was the last time you had sex? just wondering lol

Three days ago. You wanna know all the positions, and if/when I put on the furry stuff?

That is the kind of kink some of you are into afterall...

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Three days ago. You wanna know all the positions, and if/when I put on the furry stuff?

That is the kind of kink some of you are into afterall...
There is no way you lasted long enough to do multiple positions.

Latest posts

')