8th grade metal band signs w Sony

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
My favorite quote from the article:
"The Post does say, however, that the contract’s a bit tricky." :coffee:

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'm glad these kids are getting what they want. I started seeing them everywhere like two years ago, or something.

Also, yeah, that mosh pit is terrible. Thats what happens when you get a bunch of people who don't listen to metal together and then put a metal band in front of them. Gross.

EDIT: Another thought - weren't there things all around Coachella that told people not to "appropriate other peoples cultures"? Wasn't everybody there all about that? Isn't them trying to do "metal" things while they don't actually like metal the exact thing they're rebelling against?

Demiurge

Reaction score
Now, Sony has picked up the hardcore teens (and tween) for a guaranteed two-album deal with the option for four more. The deal secures $60,000 up-front for the boys on their first LP, with a possible $350,000 advance on their second. What’s more, if Sony goes all the way with the six-record contract, the band could net upwards of $1.7 million(!!).

I'm presuming that the $60k and $1.7M figures are also referencing advance dollars as well. If this project goes south- even if they don't get picked up on any options- that's a whole lot of moolah (for the first two) to be on the hook for at such a young age.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I love these boys, ever since I first saw their videos playing in New York streets. They are awesome.

I also really like the fact that they're kids and that they're black. It's cool to see black musicians playing metal and doing their thing, not conforming to stupid stereotypes, they could inspire a lot of other kids to do the same, metal is for everyone! I wish all of the success in the world to them! :metal: :hbang:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Only getting royalties after 250K sales isn't a contract, it's being sold into slavery.
Assuming they take ten years to do those 7 albums, that 1.5 million for 10 years of work make 50K yearly for each of them. They basically got tied and trussed, if they "make it" they won't see any more money than working in a factory.
One can say it's still better to earn that by playing music, but they are far from having got a jaw-breaking contract.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Only getting royalties after 250K sales isn't a contract, it's being sold into slavery.
Assuming they take ten years to do those 7 albums, that 1.5 million for 10 years of work make 50K yearly for each of them. They basically got tied and trussed, if they "make it" they won't see any more money than working in a factory.
One can say it's still better to earn that by playing music, but they are far from having got a jaw-breaking contract.
I don't know what French factories are like (pretty well paid, evidently), but I have a graduate degree and would be pretty chuffed to be making $50k annually at this point. That's above the median household income in the US, which is pretty damn good for literal kids with no education or experience and probably also pretty good for a metal band.

redlol

Reaction score
I was reluctant, but that song totally rocked.

i hope your being sarcastic man or are talking about a studio version of one of their songs...

cus that live vid blew in my opinion

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I was hesitant to think of how that video would turn out, and it was genuinely awesome. I really hope these kids are treated right and mature to become beastly players! Nothing worse than bleeding good people dry.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I don't know what French factories are like (pretty well paid, evidently), but I have a graduate degree and would be pretty chuffed to be making $50k annually at this point. That's above the median household income in the US, which is pretty damn good for literal kids with no education or experience and probably also pretty good for a metal band.

That contract is a ....ing joke to anyone in the music business.

Side note... I haven't seen them play one song that they have written.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
That contract is a ....ing joke to anyone in the music business.

Essentially theses lads at the age of 13 are already $60k in debt to Sony before recording a single note and based on the standard model, they have to pay that back out of their royalties which means that if they aren't gonna earn any royalties till they have shifted 250,000 units, assuming they are lucky enough to make as a band $1 per unit (and for simple maths!!) they will actually have to sell 310,000 records before they can actually keep the first dollar for themselves.. to then pay the manager, and agent etc etc..... These lads are financially fcuked before they are legally eligible to actually pay tax!

Murmel

Reaction score
God, I feel sorry as fuck for these kids.
I assume their parents had to co-sign or something, I can't believe they agreed to such a contract.
Yeah, they're going to get exposure, but what is that when you're going down the financial abyss?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
God, I feel sorry as fuck for these kids.
I assume their parents had to co-sign or something, I can't believe they agreed to such a contract.
Yeah, they're going to get exposure, but what is that when you're going down the financial abyss?

Most likely...so when they flop/dont sell shit, Sony can take their parents houses :wallbash::ugh::lol::lol:

Nats

Reaction score
They'll be the coolest kids at the 8th grade dance though.

Latest posts

')