8th String Too Low

• Thread starter Moongrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
What gauge string do you use? I used a .068 for low F, which I know many people would think is way too light, but the light gauge actually sounds like a guitar. Also some strings (d'addario NYXL) sounded much brighter to me, so I used those too. I couldn't believe how much I hated Ernie Ball strings for the low F. Wouldn't think it'd be such a difference but it was at least for me.
I believe I have .074. Not that I'm opposed to it, but do you have to be more mindful of your dynamics/picking strength when using a .068? Is there much of a feel difference? I've heard similar sentiments about lighter gauge strings, and why many people prefer scale lengths greater than 27" for 8s so that they can use lighter gauge strings.

Dayn

Reaction score
All trial and error, really. I'm happy with:

E1 - .080 or .090 - 27"
F1 and Eb1 - .080 - 28.3"
D1 - .090 - 28.3"
F#1 - .072 - 29.3" (stainless steel)
C#1 - .094 - 29.6" (stainless steel)

But it also depends on the string's construction. A .090 Winspear, Kalium or La Bella string sounds brighter to me than an .080 Dunlop or GHS.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I believe I have .074. Not that I'm opposed to it, but do you have to be more mindful of your dynamics/picking strength when using a .068? Is there much of a feel difference? I've heard similar sentiments about lighter gauge strings, and why many people prefer scale lengths greater than 27" for 8s so that they can use lighter gauge strings.
I thought it was fine, though I was using fancy guitars with perfect fretwork.

Low action also helps IME. Moving from say 2mm to 1.25mm action will create a lot more snap and attack and eliminate boomy bass. But some people would say the sound is too thin etc. I prefer the sound with the strings practically laying on the fretboard, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Are the strings new? And old 8th string can sound suuuuper dull. And too thin or too thick can sound muffled or bassy, respectively.

What scale length do you have?
I think those are the right questions.

I can barely tolerate a 0.080 on my 28" strandberg in F#, even in E. The 0.084 that the strandberg NYXL set comes with sounds phenomenally horrendous to my ears, and completely different from the rest of the strings. Lovely set of strings otherwise though.

I'm waiting for my 29.1" to clear customs sometime this week, and once I get it I want to go as thin as I can with the 8th string, so I can get that thing sounding like a guitar.

Christopher Har V

Reaction score
Anyone else find the lowest string on an 8 string sounds comically low? I feel like I'm having the opposite experience of most people who usually find the 8th string to be brutal, but for me it just sounds hilarious.

All seven strings B-E sound great!...but then when I play that low F# string, it sounds like a bass and really out of place. Maybe it's because of how I eq my amp sim :shrug:

Would love to hear any tips you have, I've only had my 8 string for a bit more than a week, so I'm still figuring things out.
I play with a lot less gain than most metal, because I like to play chords with a lot of open strings and that can kind get too busy too quick with too much gain. Maybe the 8th string doesn't really lend itself to that kind of playing.
Actually reminds me a lot of when I used to play bass as a kid wishing it was a guitar lol.

Please tell me about your love, trials, and tribulations of the sonic range of 8 strings :)

View attachment 137915
I love my 8-string, but it's got a 30" scale length. I think it should be a crime to sell 8-strings that have a scale length lower than 28" (at least on the bottom end, if it's a multiscale). An instrument like an 8-string was made to be a multiscale. There's a reason that John Petrucci, who's never touched a multiscale guitar before, and the genuises behind all his top-notch gear decided to go with a multiscale design for his first and only 8-string.

And IMO that multiscale should be a 27-30" length. My 30" scale 8 is awesome on the low-end (helps that I put in DiMarzio D-Activators), but the high strings are definitely harsh and thin sounding - kind of cool for doing high, scrapey-sounding chords in a djent setting - GREAT for pickscrapes - but overall it's not the greatest thing in the world, especially not for leads.

I need an 80 Gauge on that 30" scale to get a good, tight, reliable low E that doesn't bend sharp from reasonably-hard pick attacks. It's the only instrument where, in my mind, the "drop" tuning is the standard - having that low E reflect the low E of a normal 6-string really rounds out the instrument and makes it whole. The low F# is cool, one of my favorite songs I ever wrote is in F# standard, but something about just dropping it to the low E is so satisfying.

Drop E on Agile 830

Also here's standard F#