9 string guitar samples and vids

• Thread starter Sroth Saraiel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sroth Saraiel

BC Rich 7 Strings :)
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Just wondering if you guys have like samples of a 9 string guitar tuned like this: C# F# B E A D G B E

Seems very hard to me to find any in youtube, even in ROTER's website says it's difficult to find one :(

You guys have any audio samples or vids you can share?

or any of your own?

Cheers! and have a rocking week!:shred:
Leo.

explorer&
thraell%209%20front%20small.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
C#.. I'd hope we're speaking clean tones here. Going all the way to a low C# with gain on top of it wouldn't sound too good I'd think. However, I'm also interested. I know Halo guitars makes some kinda 10 string with a custom OEM Kahler, but I'm far from a Halo guitar fan, so I have no clue.

demolisher

Reaction score
I've thought about it a decent amount and you could get away without using a bass string. .090 sit guitar string at 32 inches would be 16 pounds of tension. probably a fan to 29 inches.

Sroth Saraiel

Reaction score
C#.. I'd hope we're speaking clean tones here. Going all the way to a low C# with gain on top of it wouldn't sound too good I'd think. However, I'm also interested. I know Halo guitars makes some kinda 10 string with a custom OEM Kahler, but I'm far from a Halo guitar fan, so I have no clue.

Yeap! I know, it may sound weird, more like a distorted bass, that's why I'm asking cause I have no idea :ugh:, I've seen other forums talking and talking about 'em but no vids or samples :squint:, that's why the incognito of this tuned axes is driving me crazy!

C'mon guys share 'em!! don't be selfish! :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score

I've tuned lower. It works all right.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Thats the only video I was able to find on youtube, but i dont know how he tunes...

Sroth Saraiel

Reaction score
:wavey: Thanks Patrick!!!!!

unfortunately I'm now at my job and youtube is blocked :noway:

but as soon as I get home I'll take a look at the vid!

:shred:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I found this information on his website.... :wallbash:

* The Hydra, simply put, uses a standard guitar tuning, a whole step lower with 3 extra strings inserted between the 4th and 5th strings

Hydra - D·G·D·g·c· C· f·a d
* Standard E· A·-·-·-------D·g·b·e
* now, imagine :.
* without tuning the hydra 1 step lower,
* you have a normal 6 string with the 3 extras between the 4th and 5th being
* 5th=d, same note as 3rd fret 2nd string
* 6th=a, same note as 2nd fret 3rd string
* 7th=e, same note as 2nd fret 4th string

http://www.9string.com/

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
yeah I've been thinking about a 9 string guitar/bass hybrid for a while now, I just dont know if it'd work well.

demolisher

Reaction score
yeah I've been thinking about a 9 string guitar/bass hybrid for a while now, I just dont know if it'd work well.

I can tell you with complete conviction a bass/guitar hybrid works absolutely wonderfully, the reason we have trouble is due to power chords and high gain on the lower notes. If a good luthier makes it and you get good custom pups(all this is expensive mind you) you can get georgous clean tones. The last thing you need is skill to play the basslines and chords at the same time haha!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Here're some vids of Jauqo iii-X's band, with DeLawn Simpson (the guy on the right) playing an Ergo 9 in the tuning you describe!:) He plays on their 'Low C# Theory' album as well if you want some recorded examples.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
I've been looking into a 9 string, but I have to say there's no way in hell I'm going that low. If anything, I'd tune it like this

F#/B/E/A/D/G/b/e/a

and use that added upper range for solos. I'm sure it'd be fine to riff in C#, but I couldn't get into it :shrug:

Sroth Saraiel

Reaction score
I've been looking into a 9 string, but I have to say there's no way in hell I'm going that low. If anything, I'd tune it like this

F#/B/E/A/D/G/b/e/a

and use that added upper range for solos. I'm sure it'd be fine to riff in C#, but I couldn't get into it :shrug:

You know, I´m giving it a very very hard exhaustive thinking, cause I don´t want to spend $2K+ and then regret, so I need to hear the sound and analyse playability...
:scratch:

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
You know, I´m giving it a very very hard exhaustive thinking, cause I don´t want to spend $2K+ and then regret, so I need to hear the sound and analyse playability...
:scratch:

I'd think if you can play an 8 without trouble you'll probably be OK :shrug: sound-wise though I'm not sure.

I know the guy from MAN plays an 11 string and it's pretty clear. I'll dig some vids up in a sec.

EDIT: Here you go man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX7iq5tlJzE

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Y'know, you don't have to get a custom 9-string to see if C# should work. Pick up a relatively inexpensive baritone, pop in some half decent pickups, and try it out. Youtube clips probably aren't going to give you the best idea of the practicality of it, anyway.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
WTF IS THAT THING???

I´ve had it now!, buying ASAP!

Thanks Evan!

I have no idea, but seriously, I want one. Like there is major GAS for it, I just haven't really found any info on it. I could probably just go to their website and check his profile, but that would just tell me it's "custom made by X luthier" and that I can't afford it now so :shrug: :lol:

Hey, it's not a problem, I'm here to help when I can and learn all I can :yesway:

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Possible he built that himself? In the vid when he's playing other stringed "things", he mentions one was his own invention...

Latest posts

')