9 string guitars

• Thread starter Tom Drinkwater
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Im quite interested in getting a 9 string, so i can tune both an open chord for the first four strings (or just something i find really easy to use personally) and traditional tuning from there down.

I like rhythm :lol: And also using weird fx for big soundscapes :yesway:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I am thinking of making a 9 and 10 string model soon. I have to eliminate my back log of custom guitars first. Maybe I should start a thread in Dealers/Group Buys about it.

emguitars

Reaction score
Here's one I built.
9string.jpg

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
As far as 9s are concerned... In all seriousness, 8 is the absolute maximum for there, and even then it's a serious push. I find the low F# to be far too muddy to be considered alongside the rest of a guitar. B is as low as it should go for me. I do not tune up as I find the high notes to sound incredibly unnatural and distinctly "un-guitar" like.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
F# too muddy? you ever hear of meshuggah?

Meshuggah is one of my favourite bands. I should've been clearer (operative word, really :lol:).

I find the F# too muddy to use in power chords. In other words, I can't play that range like I can in a normal guitar. That's what puts me off.

Scarpie

Reaction score
aaaahhhhh. i see what you're saying. i guess it's subjective to tone and style. with a nice thick tone i don't mind the single note palm muting cause it's pitch so low and tone combined work very nicely. but yes a lil too out there for chordwork. i hear ya dude

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
aaaahhhhh. i see what you're saying. i guess it's subjective to tone and style. with a nice thick tone i don't mind the single note palm muting cause it's pitch so low and tone combined work very nicely. but yes a lil too out there for chordwork. i hear ya dude

I should've been clearer, I apologise. I LOVE obZen etc, but I don't think I could ever integrate it into my own playing. Having said that, I LOVE playing distorted bass, so I guess I can play single notes in such registers in certain respects. ;)

CIAM :)

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Hey emgguitars, that guitar looks great. What are the specs? Does it sound and play as good as it looks?

ADAMAKAGORE

Reaction score
Someday we will see bands playing 15 strings guitars...This is starting to become ridiculous...At least in my point of view.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'd love to play/own a 9- or 10-string guitar, but I'm not even close to ready to pay for one. I don't think I'd want to go over 10, though.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Am I interested in 9 string guitars? Absolutely.
For the same reason I was drawn to a 7 string and then interested in the idea of 8 strings: All about the extra range.
For me, whether I'd be able to play one or not is the question.
Going from 6 to 7 actually improved my bending up+vibrato technique as well as just being easier to play for longer periods of time, but my fear is that a wider neck than that means for me the comfort levels will start going in reverse, so there is no chance I will drop money on a 9 string without getting to try one first.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I found 9 strings too much of a stretch for my hands, but still more playable than I expected. The main difficulty (IMO) with adding strings is muting the ones you're not playing. But that's probably mainly a matter of taking some time to adjust.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Someday we will see bands playing 15 strings guitars...This is starting to become ridiculous...At least in my point of view.

There are already guys playing fifteen string basses; triple-course five-strings!:) Do a search for Jauqo III-X, as he plays fretted and fretless fifteens tuned eeEaaAddDggGccC, as well as a subcontrabass tuned C#F#BE(a bass' low E on top, then going down in fourths!). Posts here occasionally too...

Latest posts

')