9 string guitars

• Thread starter Tom Drinkwater
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I'm pretty intrigued by 9 strings. I'm yet to play a proper 8 but I've tuned down that low before and liked it. I think if I was to play a 9 string I'd end up playing some touchstyle and regular playing on it so I'd really need the instrument to be up for both kinds of playing.
I think the main reason more people don't plumb for these is because you have to go custom which is really expensive and almost everyone getting one won't have played more than 8 before so it's an expensive trial really and there is a good chance you won't like it. This won't really change though unless they become very popular which is unlikely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emguitars

Reaction score
Hey emgguitars, that guitar looks great. What are the specs? Does it sound and play as good as it looks?

Thanks Tom, I think it turned out pretty well. It's got a 28" scale on the bass side, 24" on the treble. Walnut neck, maple board,tung oil finish. The body is alder with poplar wings, to save some weight. Walnut cap, with a maple center stripe. Hand wound the humbucker, hand fabbed the aluminum bridge, with Graph Tech saddles. Tuned F# to high A. Single volume, with a push-pull pot for coil tapping. I'm obviously not impartial, but I think it sounds pretty great! Good clarity, very resonant. The pickup was underwound intentionally, to keep the high A from sounding harsh, and it works. Very sparkly top end, the low notes are quite clear as well, but you do have to crank your amp to get a good crunch. All in all, a sucess!
Eric.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I'd like a 9 string that I could use to alternate between touch style (i.e. Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar) type playing and traditional picked guitar playing. The tuning/string spacing/layout of touch-style instruments seems to make it very prohibitive to use traditional guitar picking/chords, whereas a 9 string tuned F#BEADGBEA or something would be more intuitive and multi-functional for a guitarist. Also, the option to switch between a traditional pickup mode and a split pickup mode (separate outputs for bass and guitar strings) would be awesome.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I totally agree that the 9 string would be more guitarist friendly than the dedicated tapping instrument. After owning and building a few tappers I think that for me a guitar with 9 or 10 strings just makes more sense. A 10 string guitar could still be tuned like a 10 string Stick if that is the tuning of choice or maybe an 11 string version with the inverted 5ths bass strings on the lowest 5 strings and just tune up strings 1-6 like a regular guitar. That would be cool. Either way, after playing the first 8 string that I built I knew that I couldn't stay committed to the dedicated to the Megatar 12 string.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are describing an NS Stick with more strings, which would be very cool.
walnut_natural_large.jpg

www.stick.com - Instruments and Tunings

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I have liked the looks of the NS Stick for quite a while, especially the one that is half fretless. I am Don Schiff fan.

JonnHatch

Reaction score
GOD i want a 9 string guitar like a fat kid wants to bathe in cake. Im gonna have to save my pennies and order one of those sexies from Dan at Oni. PURE SEX in the form of wood:agreed::lol:

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
GOD i want a 9 string guitar like a fat kid wants to bathe in cake. Im gonna have to save my pennies and order one of those sexies from Dan at Oni. PURE SEX in the form of wood:agreed::lol:

Kevin Siebold at Krappy Guitars could make you one.

Here is a custom 10 string he did.
cust3.jpg

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are describing an NS Stick with more strings, which would be very cool.

Yeah, I'd be interested in something like that, but perhaps slightly more guitar-ish. I think I'd sacrifice a little bit of the low end range to have something that played more like a big guitar (uniform string spacing, a more standard bridge) than a guitar + bass on one neck. If Agile ever puts out a 9 string, I'd probably pick one up and come up with a pickup arrangement to allow for separate bass and treble outputs. I may actually try it with an Intrepid 8 string if I ever pick one up.

Scarpie

Reaction score
i think i may have to contact this kevin. i need a 9 that i would feel comfortable beating up and gigging with. cause somethings in this world require an infinite amount of delicacy,admiration and tender care. a gigging instrument is not one of them hahaha

')