90s Nostalgia

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240813-012113_Firefox.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Garfield cartoons. Crystal Pepsi. Slippin' Slides. Supersoaker with the backpack reservoir. Gak. Angry Beavers. Invader Zim. Walkman and then later discman with skip protection! Having tapes and cds. Super Nintendo,mario cart trash talkin and the joy of having Toys R Us money to blow on games. KB toy store. The mall not being dead and eating in a food court that smelled of sbarros pizza. Pump up sneakers, because they make you jump higher and run faster. Oj getting chased in a white bronco and all the teachers putting it on tv and not knowing wtfuck is happening but hey, no spelling words. I miss the 90's a little.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought the netfix Invader Zim movie was pretty dope. Not as many callbacks to the inside jokes from the series but still fun. Vasquez's sense of humor shines through well. I prefer fillerbunny over johnny the homicidal maniac though so I'm more along the lines of uncultured swine I suspect.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Invader Zim got co-opted by Hot Topic/Spencer's Gifts kids and was never the same
See, I'm a little confused on that one.

I never looked it up but the invader Zim art style look identical to Johnny the homicidal maniac, so my assumption was that Zim was from the same people but toned down for kids television. I could be totally off on that.

If that's the case, a Hot topic tie in wouldn't completely surprise me

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
See, I'm a little confused on that one.

I never looked it up but the invader Zim art style look identical to Johnny the homicidal maniac, so my assumption was that Zim was from the same people but toned down for kids television. I could be totally off on that.

If that's the case, a Hot topic tie in wouldn't completely surprise me
Turns out it is the same guy: Jhonen Vasquez - Wikipedia

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have honestly never even heard of JTHM, but if it is the same people, it's not surprising, but it's not like there was any Johnny merch in Hot Topic either, so I'm not sure where the overlap would have come in that they saw the adult crowd buying Johnny stuff while the younger ones go for Zim.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jhonen also did album art for Mindless Self Indulgence too. Not so much 90s nostalgia but early 2000s

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was incredibly saddened when, at doom shows, I've tried to reference "I'm going to sing the doom song now! Dooom doooom do doooom doooom" etc, and nobody got the reference.
That is the saddest thing I have heard today.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
To our credit, 99% of the audience at doom shows are stoned out of our gourd, so all we probably heard was "doooooom" and then you just get a pair of horns or a thumbs up thrown your way

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone who picks Oddjob in Goldeneye is an asshole.

Though to be honest, I've made a lot of people rage quit street fighter back in the day by picking Dhalsim and not letting them get close enough to strike :lol:

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
I have honestly never even heard of JTHM, but if it is the same people, it's not surprising, but it's not like there was any Johnny merch in Hot Topic either, so I'm not sure where the overlap would have come in that they saw the adult crowd buying Johnny stuff while the younger ones go for Zim.
Actually, their was a brief window of time where JTHM merch was sold in Hot Topic. I had a JTHM tee in the late 90's that I'm pretty sure i bought at Hot Topic. Maybe. It was either Hot Topic, or Utopia, which was a local head shop type place in Long Island that was basically the Hot Topic for people with more "culture" lol.. It and a record shop called None of The Above were like the only places you could buy metal merch locally that wasn't just from a selection of Nu metal bands

Edit: I'm now recalling the time me and some friends went to None Of The Above and while one of them was all excited about the Mr. Hanky bong he just bought, I was on the other side of the shop grabbing the last copy of the then new 'Sound Of Perseverance' disc, and when we got back to my friends car he got pissed, and kept demanding I trade him the Death CD for the bong. Nope! :D

Latest posts

')