A 7-string for 8-string tunings?

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So, I've been wanting an 8-string for a long time, but I came to think of that I might never actually need the high E, and I am fairly used to 7-strings now, and I really don't feel like having another string and having an even wider neck. I still feel I have to get even better with the feel of 7's.
Any good recommendations for a 7-string suitable for 8-string tunings, such as F# standard or drop E? Must be someone here that uses or have ever tried this before! :D

I'd prefer to have one with a thin Ibanez-ish neck size!
I'm not sure about the scale lengths that works best with something like this, but you guys here are always such smart people :D
I'd guess anything between 26" and 28" would be good!?

This thread might have been posted here once, but there are so many great new guitars out there now! I did do a search, but oddly I didn't find any other threads.

Thanks for any help :D

Keep shreddin :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Yeah, with appropriate string gauge and scale length you could tune a two string guitar down to F# or E.

I'd look for baritone lengths, 27"+.

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
Yeah, with appropriate string gauge and scale length you could tune a two string guitar down to F# or E.

I'd look for baritone lengths, 27"+.

I'd think of it more as having a 7-string that is tuned down hella lot.
Don't misinterpret what I say about the high E, It's just that I don't need THAT many strings, haha.
If I ONLY cared for the two darkest string, why would I want a 7-string in the first place instead of a 6-string? haha :)

Djentleguy

Reaction score
I'd say check some agiles. They have plenty of wide scale guitars, perfect for an 8 string tuning:yesway:

Sir Applesauce

Nerfherder
Reaction score
My LTD SC-607b is awesome.
27" scale
Neck Thru
EMG 81-7's
I've had it in E for a while now, great tension too.

RuffeDK

Reaction score
My .11 - .70 string gauge can easily tune in 8-string standard (F) and it's a 25.5" scale 7-string.

26.5" or longer, and you will be able to drop it one step down ;) Ibanez RGD2127Z is my recommendation !!

')