A Box of things and stuff.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I realized I never do picstories that involve boxes, so this thread starts with a box!
1ss2.jpg

Going to start a new build! This guitar is a guift to my brother in law. Except he doesn't know I'm building him anything.

First off. Somewhat wild quilted maple top, and a birdseye maple fingerboard, slotted to 25"
1ss3.jpg

1ss4.jpg

Also got a schaller Hannes bridge in chrome, Gotoh tuners with ebony buttons, some pots, knobs, jacks, nut and other stuff.

As always, I chose wood that's impossible to capture well enough in pictures, so here are some more pics.
1ss5.jpg

1ss6.jpg

AND, the rest of the wood that will be used.
1ss7.jpg

Also bought a set of BKP Mississippi Queens in chrome which have shipped today.

Sooo, specs:

Shape: Single cut. Might offset it, but I think it will be a normal SC shape.
Scale: 25:
Top: Quilted maple, 75% sure it will be stained blue with natural binding
Body: 1 piece Mahogany
Neck: 1 piece Granadillo
Fingerboard: Either birdseye maple with ebony binding, or ebony with flamed maple binding.
Bridge: Hannes
Tuners: Gotoh with ebony buttons
Pickups: Mississippi Queens with Chrome Covers
Oh, and the truss rod will have the access on the body side.

Now the tricky part... The body will be chambered, but radiused on the bass side, and then the top will be bent and glued over it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

silent_k

derpa derp!
Contributor
Reaction score
Now the tricky part... The body will be chambered, but radiused on the bass side, and then the top will be bent and glued over it.

Sweet -- I look forward to seeing how you pull this off! What do you have in mind, method-wise? I'm going to be doing this myself eventually for a Klein-style build so I'll be watching this project closely (not like I wouldn't be watching it anyway!).

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
For your previous double build thread...I am eagerly awaiting this one. Cannot wait :3

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
I realized I never do picstories that involve boxes, so this thread starts with a box!

Going to start a new build! This guitar is a guift to my brother in law. Except he doesn't know I'm building him anything.

First off. Somewhat wild quilted maple top, and a birdseye maple fingerboard, slotted to 25"

Also got a schaller Hannes bridge in chrome, Gotoh tuners with ebony buttons, some pots, knobs, jacks, nut and other stuff.

As always, I chose wood that's impossible to capture well enough in pictures, so here are some more pics.

AND, the rest of the wood that will be used.

Also bought a set of BKP Mississippi Queens in chrome which have shipped today.

Sooo, specs:

Shape: Single cut. Might offset it, but I think it will be a normal SC shape.
Scale: 25:
Top: Quilted maple, 75% sure it will be stained blue with natural binding
Body: 1 piece Mahogany
Neck: 1 piece Granadillo
Fingerboard: Either birdseye maple with ebony binding, or ebony with flamed maple binding.
Bridge: Hannes
Tuners: Gotoh with ebony buttons
Pickups: Mississippi Queens with Chrome Covers
Oh, and the truss rod will have the access on the body side.

If I may chime in on some finish options:

1. Amber/Cognac finish for the quilted maple would look really good with your selected woods and natural binding.

2. Dark blue in to amber/cognac same thing.

TJV

Reaction score

Cool! :yesway:
How much radius? I really like to see your way to do it. :)

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Bad agent as always good sir.

Lucky man your brother in law...

Do you have another sister?

vansinn

Reaction score
Bad agent as always good sir.

Lucky man your brother in law...

Do you have another sister?

What? Scherzo has a sister? Where are the pics I've missed?
I adore Mexican women. Was out dancing salsa with a (damn, to young) cutie named Mercedez, who said repeatedly "you're so nice":

Her name was Mercedez - she was from Mexico
she was not Juliet, though searching for her Romeo,
driving like a Ferrari - the perfume was Renault

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Been trying to find the best orientation for the top, and I think I'll go with this one.
1ss8-1.jpg

Edit: Either 16 or 20" radius on the top.

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
I like the El Rey shape. Considering your previous builds, we're all in for a treat. Now get those hair straighteners out and start bending some binding!

ECGuitars

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Maple is pretty easy to bend, use distilled water when bending though, as tap water has crap in it that can stain the maple. My suggestion would be to use a clothes iron and clamp the top on the body and bend before you glue as the heat from the iron could remelt the glue. Can't wait to see the progress!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Maple is pretty easy to bend, use distilled water when bending though, as tap water has crap in it that can stain the maple. My suggestion would be to use a clothes iron and clamp the top on the body and bend before you glue as the heat from the iron could remelt the glue. Can't wait to see the progress!

Thanks for the distilled water advice! I was indeed going to pre-bend the top, and glue afterwards.

I got a couple of days off, so I've started working on the neck... I should have the first build update by wednesday. :metal:

Latest posts

')