A bunch of IT guys?

• Thread starter Mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Looking around the forum I've noticed that a lot of my fellow metal heads are in some kind of IT profession or a related technical field (myself included). I just find it really interesting. There has to be some kind of mental link between the appreciation for technical, intricate music and an interest in computer systems.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Suits by day, Shredders by night :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Well, i'm a programmer for a major tax company. None of my band mates are IT though. I think there may be some relation to highly logical personalities and METAL :hbang:

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
I'm tempted to make a similar generalization correlating metal and the IT field.

I have a 2 year IT degree (networking) and am intimate with computers, though I've yet to even land a helpdesk position. in fact, I ended up a mechanical assembler in a medical device factory (which I recently left) and are currently studying music. although, my love of metal came first.

that in itself is a valid question I think: of you IT metalheads out there, did the lust for heavy technical music come first? or did the appreciation grow after honing your keen sense of logic through academia?

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I'm tempted to make a similar generalization correlating metal and the IT field.

I have a 2 year IT degree (networking) and am intimate with computers, though I've yet to even land a helpdesk position. in fact, I ended up a mechanical assembler in a medical device factory (which I recently left) and are currently studying music. although, my love of metal came first.

that in itself is a valid question I think: of you IT metalheads out there, did the lust for heavy technical music come first? or did the appreciation grow after honing your keen sense of logic through academia?

Personally, I like fixing problems. I actually think IT is a little boring, especially working for bigger companies where it's 75% politics and 25% actual work.

Although when I get to sit back and really unscramble a challenging problem, I really do enjoy it. I get a buzz from the self achievement..

BTW I was a network engineer before going into Telecomms AI / R&D, get that CCNP passed and if you need a reference let me know :)..

Dylanvoy

Reaction score
i have had the dreams of being a penetration tester since 5th grade. ive breached my schools several times. next year i graduate with my MTA and A+ certs then its off to college for security. but i love myself some technical heavy music. !

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
i have had the dreams of being a penetration tester since 5th grade. ive breached my schools several times. next year i graduate with my MTA and A+ certs then its off to college for security. but i love myself some technical heavy music. !

Penetration Tester? You sure your talking about IT? :fawk:

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I graduated a "electronics engineering technologist" from college (2 full years). Love fixing tube amps/electronics. Its kind of a mixed bag profession as it covers a little bit of everything - IT, programming (multiple levels), electronic fundamentals, microwave, control systems, etc. Never really gets too deep into anything but the fundamentals are there. Built robots which was pretty fun. Im a project manager now for a company that specializes in door access security system integration, which sounds cool and all but is quite simple actually.

I have the book for A+ cert that was part of one of my courses, but like I said it never really went deep into it. I ....ing loathe communication/IT stuff, and it always falls on me to set up new networks in the company I work for.

Never tell anyone you know how to fix a computer. Ever.

flint757

Reaction score

Word. :lol:

I have people calling me up for help all the time and usually the problem could have been resolved with a simple google search.

Knowing computers has made me valuable at every job I worked at though so... :shrug:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
EE student here :) I've always been into STEM-related stuff as well as music... many non-musicians/tech types see them as very disparate, but it's never been that way for me. I got into EE from modding music equipment, I saw it as a way to combine my interests.

True. Fucking. Facts. Any piece of electronics, really.

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
Network Engineer here, long time metalhead.

A number of our younger server/storage guys and application dev guys are metalheads as well.

working for bigger companies where it's 75% politics and 25% actual work.

Yup. Luckily our Network Manager handles most of the Layer 8 stuff so we can actually roll out deployments and fix problems. The only downside to that is introducing new tech can be tough. It was difficult for my team to get DMVPN rolling out even though it saves over 3million over the next 5 years.

get that CCNP passed

:wavey:

Making some progress on a CCIE as well.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Everyone in my band writes code to some degree or other. I'm a UI engineer for a big data security company, and lots of folks I work with also play music. Go figure.

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't work in IT anymore, but forever building pcs/researching parts/repairing computers/setting up networks and listening to sweet death metal

Latest posts

')