A couple of pics of the finished Carvin (no flametop conent, I`m afraid)

kevenmo

Reaction score
Here`s a couple of pics of my 727, with EVO installed.

Carvin1.JPG

closecarvin.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I like it.
what do you think of the neck/playability of it?
did you get Stainless steel frets?

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a real shame that Carvin discontinued silver - it was by far their coolest standard colour.

Is yours the standard maple neck with alder wings and if yes, how do you like the Evo in such a bright environment?

kevenmo

Reaction score
@ Eric, it`s Pearl silver. Like Eske says, it`s now discontinued.

@ Nick, I love the neck, and upper fret access. I wasn`t sure what to expect, but it was a positive experience, mos def. I`m not sure about the frets, because I got it second-hand, but I believe they`re nickel(sp?) They don`t look like ss, at least.

@ Shawn, Baxter and Eske.

Since I did`t order the guitar, I`m not sure what kind of body wood it is. The neck is maple, so it`s probably alder, and the fretboard looks like ebony, again based on color and texture. It looks like "bright city" on paper, but actually sounds very balanced to my ears. I`ve used the EVO in two guitars, and actually found it quite meaty. The six string version is brighter, I had it in a JS-1 I used to own.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Why did Carvin discontinue it? :wallbash:

That color is hot buttered sex.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
Here`s a couple of pics of my 727, with EVO installed.

Carvin1.JPG

closecarvin.jpg
Hey, nice carvin...how does the EVO-lution compare to the carvin double allen pole per string pickup? Did the carvin sound fizzy or even noisy? Or did it just have a different voice?

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
cool guitar?

So you said the 7 string Evo is more meaty than the 6 one? I used to have a 6 string evo and found it kinda sterile.. but im on the look out for a nice beefy 7 string pup.. I might go try some duncans first though

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice! I love that color too. I want one just like it. :agreed:

Congrats! Nice pics too. :hbang:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... that's classy, shiny, silvery hotness.

Carvin discontinued silver? WTF kind of "custom" guitar company doesn't offer silver as one of its finish options?

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow... that's classy, shiny, silvery hotness.

Carvin discontinued silver? WTF kind of "custom" guitar company doesn't offer silver as one of its finish options?

:shrug: It's crazy isn't it?

Its really interesting to see a solid-colour Carvin after seeing so many natural/opaque finishes.... Especially when the colour is the hawt-ness like that!

kevenmo

Reaction score
@ Rindgecore - It`s a very very long time since I played a 7-string RG, but from memory, I believe the Carvin neck has a little bit more of a D-profile, while the Ibanez`s are flatter.

@ Alex-D33 - hehe, yeah. You can really fly on it, so it would suit it just fine:hbang:

@ Vova - Thanks for checking it out, man

@ Frank - Yeah, I didn`t know what to expect, because it`s a difficult color to capture in a snapshot, but I really like it

@ Dennis - The EVO is a lot meatier than the original C26T. While it sounded perfectly fine, and would`ve worked as a charm (If I didn`t already have the EVO laying around, I wouldn`t have gone out of my way to change it), it was brighter and had less output than the EVO. The Carvin wasn`t noisy at all, and sounded really nice for normal rock/blues/80`s shred. The neck pu is wonderful, and stays just where it is.

@ Nick - To my ears it is meatier, but I`m keeping in mind that the Carvin has twice the neck of the JS model, and also has a lot more body mass.

(from dimarzio: "
Tech Talk: Making a 7-string version of a pre-existing 6-string pickup is not a simple matter of copying specs. Particularly with a high-output pickup, it's important that the low B string doesn't get muddy-sounding. We made the Evolution 7™'s coils brighter-sounding than the 6-string version to make sure this doesn't happen. We then used some of the same technology that went into the Virtual Vintage® design to warm up the sound of the high strings without affecting the low B. The bass strings have a lot of clean power and the high strings cut through without sounding thin.")

Maybe this is the matter? My English isn`t colorful enough to convey exactly what I mean, and also since the guitars are radically different (woods, size, trem vs hardtail etc..)

Duncans are often more organic sounding than DM`s, many seem to agree on that, so if you found the 6-string version sterile, you might experience the same with the 7. I love EMG`s, so that`s really not an issue for me:cool:

@ Shawn and Darren - Thanks for checking it out. I agree that it is strange they discontinued the Silver. Since they already had it in their color scheme, I can`t understand why they didn`t keep it?

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The 747 on Carvin's products page is in silver ;) So you could probably still get it if you ordered over the phone.
Also, I think DiMarzio will sell you black poles for that Evo for like $10 if you want to get the all black look back.

jim