A couple of questions regarding sevenstring guitars.

• Thread starter sportlov
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sportlov

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm what I would consider fairly new to the whole concept of playing guitar and I bought my first electric guitar a little less than two years ago.

Last November I ordered a Music Man BFR 7 string model and I recieved it in Febuary this year.

Having played it exclusively for the last four months some things have occured to me and I began wondering about a couple of things.

I tried doing a search, but I was unable to find anything regarding just that I've been pondering upon.

First of all this guitar is from what I gather a 25.5" scale guitar, and I've strung it with Ernie Ball's .010 - .056 sevenstring sets since I first changed the strings. These were also the strings they came with. On the treble side they feel quite alright, but the further up the bass side I go the sloppier the strings become, and the seventh string even has a bad slap to it when I fret it.

Now I don't play metal or rock music and I only play leads with a high gain tone, and seldom touch the lowest strings while doing so, so I can't mask any inconsistencies in the sound with a high gain tone.

The sloppiness of the strings also lead to having to play with higher fretboard action than I'm comfortable with to avoid buzzing on the lower strings.

A thicker string will of course result in more tension, but will that tension also result in the strings moving around less so I'd be able to lower the action and still avoid buzzing on the frets?

I've read about multiscale guitars also using a longer scale length to tense up the bass side of it all, but I'm wondering if this would be preferable in an ergonomic sense.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a very short guy, being less than 5"6' and my hands being smaller than most girls hands, less than 6' from the tip of my middle finger to the wrist. Stretching my fingers for altered and augmented chords is no problem, but when barring and playing certain chords sometimes my wrist feels very strained because of the angle I have to hold my hand. From the looks of it a fanned fretboard could help remedy some of this, although I have no proof of this, while also increasing the tension of the bass side strings without having to resort to that much heavier gauges.

This of course lies in the future, but I'm looking to find answers to my inquiries so I can plan out what I would purchase when the time comes to find me an instrument to compliment the one I'm playing now.

I'm not very accustomed to posting on internet forums, or playing the guitar, so I'm sorry if these questions are placed in the wrong section of the site, or if they're just plain stupid.

Best Regards,

Erik

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
if you got thicker strings i think it would help tighten the string more and makin it less flabby, but mild fret buzz is pretty common on the 7s ive played if the action is low, i would recommend a fanned fret guitar, as the tension of the strings is evened out and they are in "perfect tune" and there easier to play, and i think they look cool as hell

blister7321

Reaction score
10 - 56 seems a little odd to me
i use that on a 6 for drop c and its flappy
on the low
i suggest 11-60

also your tuning may have to do with it what do you tune to

sportlov

Reaction score
A .010 - 0.56 is indeed too light for me at least, but as .010 - .046 worked pretty well on my 6 stringer in standard before and the guitar came strung with them I bought 10 packs before I had even had time to setup the guitar properly.

I might want to go with a "Skinny top, heavy bottom" type of set with an added .064 or .065 for the seventh string though, based on that it might be possible to achieve a tesion like the .010 has for the top string tuned to E. If I'm not mistaken I would achieve a more balanced tension over the fretboard with a set like this.

Thank you for the answers thus far, if there are more people who'd like to share their view or perspective, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Erik

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I'd use a more balanced tension set. Maybe a 10-48 or 10-42 set for the first 6 strings then add a 60 for the low string. That's how I string my 7s, and it feels just right.

')