A few Floyd Rose questions. FR Newbie

Reaction score
I broke my high E string and am curious if having a missing string is bad for my floyd rose? I am trying to get some new strings this week just debating on ordering them or running to the music store if I can get time.

Is it bad to adjust action while there is tension on the strings? I raised my action a bit and afterwards found out that its not good to raise action while there is tension on the strings as it can damage the knife edges but I also read people saying that they have been doing it for 20+ years with no problems.

Last question, my bridge is no longer floating as well as it used to. Do I just loosen the springs in the back? If so should I just wait to do that until I get a new high E string?

Any tips/tricks anyone can give me would rock too.

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First things first: what model of trem do you have exactly?

There's a pretty big difference from making adjustments under tension on something like a name-less pot-metal unit and a nicer unit with hardened steel knife edges.

The cheaper units in general need to be babied a bit more, but all units need regular care to operate thier best (keep tune) for the life of the unit.

As long as you get the unit back to zero, the point where it's neither diving or pulling up, you can run without a string or two or three or whatever.

If you just broke the string, simply loosen the springs around back until the unit is back at zero.

As for tips and tricks, most people don't tune thier Floyds the "right" way.

Do like so:

Block at zero. Unlock nut. Tune at headstock. Lock nut. Tune at fine tuners. Unblock. Adjust Springs until at zero again and in tune.

Takes some practice, but once you have it down you'll be able to change strings and retune in minutes.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
You're fine adjusting the trem posts with the strings on at full tension. There's no point in trying to recalibrate the trem without all the strings on, once you put on the freshies it'll be outta whack again.

A quick fix if you're high E snapped at the bridge saddle is to unlock that saddle, take out the little piece of string, unlock the nut, loosen the high E (if you have enough winding) then put the string back into the bridge and tune it back to pitch, then re-lock the nut.

Reaction score
Its a cheap no name chinese guitar straight from the factory. Its whatever, I got it for shits and gigs honestly but in a weird way I kind of like it haha. Its a douglas before rondomusic gets their hands on it, a douglas scope 727 I believe. It says "Licensed Under FLoyd Rosd Parts" ROSD? Im guessing its a fake floyd rose haha I honestly always thought it said "Floyd Rose".

I wish it broke at the bridge or else I would just trim it and tuck it back in :(

I also noticed it doesnt really stay in tune. Is I move the trem around a bit it seems to fall out of tune could that be due to it falling or it being a fake piece of crap? I dont think a real floyd rose would say Floys Rosd right?

Also, I can adjust the springs while the strings are locked?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I broke my high E string and am curious if having a missing string is bad for my floyd rose? I am trying to get some new strings this week just debating on ordering them or running to the music store if I can get time.

Is it bad to adjust action while there is tension on the strings? I raised my action a bit and afterwards found out that its not good to raise action while there is tension on the strings as it can damage the knife edges but I also read people saying that they have been doing it for 20+ years with no problems.

Last question, my bridge is no longer floating as well as it used to. Do I just loosen the springs in the back? If so should I just wait to do that until I get a new high E string?

Any tips/tricks anyone can give me would rock too.

Thank you!

The guitar will be fine for a bit without the string but I assume your Floyd is “floating” (it can both lower and raise the pitch), in which case the guitar will be out of tune if missing a string. Probably not worth setting it up to be in tune while missing a string.

I’ve adjusted the the actions with it tuned up, and I’ve done this forever. You’ll be fine. It’s not like you should be doing it a lot.

Wait to get the new string before messing with how it floats. But here’s what I do: (1) I take one of the springs off, (2) I shove a stack of paper behind the tremolo block to force the tremolo to sit level, (3) I replace the strings, stretch them, and tune, (4) I lock the nut, (5) put the tremolo spring back on and remove the paper, (6) adjust the spring claw until you’re in tune. Done!

Its a cheap no name chinese guitar straight from the factory. Its whatever, I got it for shits and gigs honestly but in a weird way I kind of like it haha. Its a douglas before rondomusic gets their hands on it, a douglas scope 727 I believe. It says "Licensed Under FLoyd Rosd Parts" ROSD? Im guessing its a fake floyd rose haha I honestly always thought it said "Floyd Rose".

I wish it broke at the bridge or else I would just trim it and tuck it back in :(

I also noticed it doesnt really stay in tune. Is I move the trem around a bit it seems to fall out of tune could that be due to it falling or it being a fake piece of crap? I dont think a real floyd rose would say Floys Rosd right?

Also, I can adjust the springs while the strings are locked?

Most tuning problems are either the strings need to be stretched or the strings are slipping at the nut (the nut isn’t tight enough or there are grooves worn in the pads). Check for those things and see if it helps. BUT DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE NUT! It just needs to be snug. But sometimes especially with the middle pad on a 7-string, the pad doesn’t seat against all three strings.

Yes: you can adjust the tremolo springs with the nut locked. That’s pretty much the only time I do adjust them.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's no point in trying to recalibrate the trem without all the strings on, once you put on the freshies it'll be outta whack again.

The guitar will be fine for a bit without the string but I assume your Floyd is “floating” (it can both lower and raise the pitch), in which case the guitar will be out of tune if missing a string. Probably not worth setting it up to be in tune while missing a string.

We're just talking about loosening the springs around back a little, not rocket surgery. :lol:

Literally some turns with a screw driver will negate the tension differential from the broken string.

Would I do it for a long time? Of course not, but no need to rush to get strings. The couple days shipping will be fine.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, very helpful. Now what about this being a fake floyd rose? Does that make it junk? I feel like it would do essentially the same thing so its not a huge deal especially being in such a cheap piece of junk guitar. It seems like it would probably be made of some cheap metal I would assume but will it function about the same? I figured if anything I can use this guitar to sort of learn how to use a floyd rose. Out of my 15+ years of playing guitar I have never owned a guitar with a floyd rose but do know its not spelled "Floyd Rosd" haha. Also, when playing with the whammy bar if I go down on it and make the notes lower i have to pull the bar back up to get the notes to be back in tune or else they are a little flat, is that due to missing the high E?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, very helpful. Now what about this being a fake floyd rose? Does that make it junk? I feel like it would do essentially the same thing so its not a huge deal especially being in such a cheap piece of junk guitar. It seems like it would probably be made of some cheap metal I would assume but will it function about the same? I figured if anything I can use this guitar to sort of learn how to use a floyd rose. Out of my 15+ years of playing guitar I have never owned a guitar with a floyd rose but do know its not spelled "Floyd Rosd" haha. Also, when playing with the whammy bar if I go down on it and make the notes lower i have to pull the bar back up to get the notes to be back in tune or else they are a little flat, is that due to missing the high E?

It's not a "fake" it's licensed.

It sounds like it's in need of some TLC. Perhaps take this first string change as an opportunity to clean, lube and properly setup the unit.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
It's not a "fake" it's licensed.

This is important. While there's quite a few low-quality units that are "licensed" Floyd Rose trems, some are much better than others. I've heard quite a few people say their Schaller-built licensed units were even better than their Original FLoyd Rose bridges.

Reaction score
I just never seen a Floyd Rose misspelled before. I understand licensed Floyd Roses but other guitars similar to the cheap one I have they said "Floyd Rose" not "Floyd Rosd". It works fine besides me having to pull back up on the whammy bar to get it to go back in tune. If I push the whammy bar down which makes the stings loose it doesnt return back in turn I have to pull it up then its in tune (I dont know if I am saying this right).

Reaction score
So this is just a misprint then? Or do some Floyd Roses say "Floyd Rosd"

FR_2.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So this is just a misprint then? Or do some Floyd Roses say "Floyd Rosd"

They don't have to say anything, the patents expired a few years ago.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen an error in the mold. The molds used to make these super cheap bridges are used thousands of times and are relatively expensive to make. Not to mention the folks making them a) don't speak English as a first language, if at all and b) don't even know what Floyd Rose is outside of the object they're being paid meager wages to make that particular day.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
This is important. While there's quite a few low-quality units that are "licensed" Floyd Rose trems, some are much better than others. I've heard quite a few people say their Schaller-built licensed units were even better than their Original FLoyd Rose bridges.

You mean the lockmeister? It's exactly the same as an original floyd rose with the Schaller name on it instead :lol:. Unless you mean the "Schaller Floyd Rose" which has a softer base plate, and I'd argue is inferior.

Anyway, the only licensed floyd I'd argue is superior to an OFR is the Gotoh Floyd Rose. That's hindered somewhat by not always being a direct replacement due to the dimensions of the baseplate being a little longer on the treble side than the OFR and the front corner sometimes not fitting in existing routes.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every "Original Floyd Rose" that's not a Pro Series, Special or that ridiculous all titanium one is Schaller made.

The thing is, Schaller's quality overall has had ups and downs throughout the years. It got bad enough in the late 90's and early 00's that a lot of high end builders went to Gotoh or Takeuchi. Right now they're solid, but I still think the Gotoh 1996T is the best off the shelf unit you can buy.

The ABM 5400 is a beast too, but they're very rare and you pretty much have to build a guitar around it as they don't fit most routes.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Every "Original Floyd Rose" that's not a Pro Series, Special or that ridiculous all titanium one is Schaller made.

The thing is, Schaller's quality overall has had ups and downs throughout the years. It got bad enough in the late 90's and early 00's that a lot of high end builders went to Gotoh or Takeuchi. Right now they're solid, but I still think the Gotoh 1996T is the best off the shelf unit you can buy.

The ABM 5400 is a beast too, but they're very rare and you pretty much have to build a guitar around it as they don't fit most routes.

Exactly, the "Schaller Floyd Rose," "Original Floyd Rose," and "Schaller Lockmeister" tremolo are all made by Schaller with the OFR and Lockmeister actually being the same exact thing one is just stamped Floyd Rose the other says Schaller on the base plate.

That ABM bridge looks neat. I'd never heard of that before. The CSL Sophia tremolo also looks like an interesting piece of kit, though I've never seen one in real life.

Retrofitting the Gotoh into some guitars with a TRS trem required removing a tiny bit of wood to square up the front (toward the bridge pickup) of the treble side of the route, and I suspect that a route for an original floyd would also be a little too rounded (though I could be wrong). Mine also doesn't seem to flutter as well as the OFR, but that may just be because I reused the TRS's posts.

Anyway, all of these seem like solid units. If the OP is interested they can always look up pricing. There was a person on ebay selling Gotoh floyds for much less than an OFR as well, a while back.

')