A few picks to review

• Thread starter audibleE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

audibleE

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I'm a noob to the forum, so I first wanted to say there is some fantastic info on this site.

Ok now the good stuff. In my search for better picking I came up on the first post about the JazzIII's. I've been retarded insane with Paul Gilbert lately going through his instructional DVD's and what not, so I broke down my picking problem to the picks. My primary guitar is a 6 String Schecter006, but I got a 7string Omen a few months back. Plays great.

So in my own test of different picks I purchased 5 different types and here's my review.
Picks:
  • Dunlop Red Nylon - J3's
  • Dunlop Black Stiff - J3's
  • Ibanez Sand Grip Wizard - Heavy
  • Dunlop Ultex Standard .73
  • Dunlop Ultex Standard 1.0

I picked a simple scale pattern, arpeggio and some chunky ryhthm riff and used the different picks with the same patterns.

Alternate Picking
I'll start with the J3's Nylon. First impression with the Red, very thick, small in finger grip. Alternate picking became instantly more defined and actually effortless to be consistent with alternated picking on all strings. The small size of the pick was bizarre at first but became very easy to adjust to. If you're not used to thicker picks then you better stretch out your picking hand.

Black J3's. One would think since it's the same brand but different color they should be the same. Well I guess there's some difference in the actual materials it's made out of. The black one's felt less bulky between the fingers but played just as good as the Red ones.

Dunlop Ultex Standard .73 and Dunlop Ultex Standard 1.0
These picks are very smoothe so if you are a sweaty bastard on stage these things will be flying around like crickets from your hand. They are your standard shape picks. Again there's little grip so, one handy thing is take a cuticle tool for your fingers, one with a point tip, and just scratch a waffle type design in each side. Hello Grip! These picks seem really bulky and fumbled alot. Seems like you have to put more effort into accuracy. But again, once you get used to them, it becomes easier to not fudge a note. I liked the 1.0 best, with being more stiff it was easier to play better.

Ibanez Sand Grip Wizard - Heavy
Now with these picks, I've never seen them before. On each side of the pick there is a sandpaper oval to grip your fingers. Very very nice. I'm part of the "My Hands Sweat Like A Pig Club" so this was a pleasant find. The picks are more squatty than standard picks and there is a nice point at the tip. These actually, for me, played everything the best. Same accuracy as the J3's, but has more grip and more pick to hold onto.

Arpeggios - Sweep Picking
It takes a little different approach to get a good sweep with the J3's. But once you get it, it's like "Butta." The Dunlop Ultex seemed lethargic because of the pick size. The Ibanez Wizards cut through it like a nerds' WarCraft character slicing up some Orgs. Again I like the Ibanez Wizards, but the J3's played great too.

Chunky Riff - Meat and Potatoes
Now if you're a heavy ryhthm player with alot of palm muting, the J3's are going to make you feel like a pussy. With the small pick size it's more challenging to get a good sounding "CHUNGE" out of the strings. It's not impossible but just takes some practice. The Ultex picks did fine with the palmy stuff, but was kinda sloppy if you're palm muting and chunging a pattern. The Wizards' did a fine job, still getting the ballsy chunk and accuracy. I sound like I'm getting paid by Ibanez or something? Actually I'm not fond of Ibanez products so there! :flame:

So overall.
  1. The J3's - Great for accuracy and speed is not an issue with these picks. Pick size and less grip could be an issue for sausage fingers. Chunky riff players may have a problem with these.
  2. Dunlop Ultex - Standard pick size, very smooth, could slip from sweaty fingers easily. But the 1.0 were better for accuracy.
  3. Ibanez Wizard Sand Grip - The Heavy picks worked great. Awesome grip, smaller pick, pointy tip, played chunky riffs well and speed picking was very accurate.

I hope this can help some people out. Good luck and of course this is just my opinion so no need to get into a pissing match about what's better and what's not. It's all about the music and how you feel it.

(PLUG: check out my band http://www.myspace.com/audiblethread HAHAHA!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting you think Ultexes are easier to lose grip of than Jazz 3s I have the opposite experience.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Welcome to forum, man. Funny you posted this today, I just received some Ibanez Sand Grip Picks in heavy and medium to try out (a friend gave me hers and I've been smitten ever since), and you're right these are really cool, slightly bigger than a JazzIII with just enough "sand" to keep it from rotating on your fingers. My only wish is twofold {a} i wish they made a thin pick, and I wish you could get these in bigger quantities (they're a little pricy at 6 a pop).

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
+1 On the Sand Grips - got them in at work today and i left with several to try out and FUCK ME, these are awesome.

I'm buying a bag likes.
My only wish was that they were slightly stiffer or thicker (the shape feels flimsy due to the lack of thickness and small surface area, and that the sand was coarser.
Ibanez - I moisturise - it isn't a problem!

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
you guys may laugh but I have been using Clayton USA picks 1.00mm thickness for about 6 months now and I prefer them over anything else. They have the perfect texture for grip and they are nice and stiff. I use the standard size ones. They are the white ones that look like Harley Davidson picks.lol Here's a link:

http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html

These are wonderful for people with sweaty hands like myself. The music store I go to have these picks right by the register and they are cheap as hell so that's why I got them. I used to use Fender heavy picks but got tired of them slipping around in my fingers. These have a matte surface which make them stay right where you want them.

They sell individually you don't have to buy a bag of them so seriously these are worth checking out they are made out of "Acetal Polymer" whatever the hell that is but they feel perfect.

Damn I sound like a commercial.hehe

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
You're totally wrong on the Ultex picks. I'm one of the sweatiest hand people around, and the main reason I use these picks is because they never slip. Never.

Even Tortex picks don't stick to my hands as well.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Sweet I just noticed on the clayton website you can design your own color scheme. Never thought of getting custom picks made but looks like fun. The standard ones that look like the Harley Davidson picks have got to go.lol Thinking of getting a Hellraiser theme pick.:cool:

Oguz286

Reaction score
OMG, i seriously read "A few pricks to review", i was like :ugh: :lol:

But on topic, nice topic! I'll try some of them out for different techniques :)

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
WHAT about the jim dunlop h3's ...michael romeo use's them . I think they have the best of both world's ..very accurate picking and sweeping attack ..and ..most af all cool turtle ..lolol

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
If you guys like the Sand Grips, give these a shot if you see them:

coolpick.jpg

It's a "Cool" Juratex jazz pick.

Different material than the Ibanez picks, but same basic idea. The Cools were around first though. I have a couple bins of the Ibanez picks around the house, but I always come back to these.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretyt happy with tortex but I'll have to check these Ibby ones out sometime.

audibleE

Reaction score
http://www.gear1music.com/coolpicks.html Found them. I'll have to try these out.

I must say what a bunch of geeks we are.... talking about picks and gear and stuff....heheheh. It's funny. Let's talk about food recipes and the many subdisciplines of biology, such as botany, zoology, and medicine.

BAHAHAHAH!!! ROck on!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
You're totally wrong on the Ultex picks. I'm one of the sweatiest hand people around, and the main reason I use these picks is because they never slip. Never.

Even Tortex picks don't stick to my hands as well.

you wear gloves, though, yes?

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
Good to hear this kinda thing. I keep telling people that different picks make a pretty big difference to playing and sound.

I've been using small picks (mini stubbies/ Small JazzIII's ...) for about 8 years now, this is because of the way I use my right hand for picking, the large picks end up getting in the way too much and I find it more difficult to use just the tip for picking. The picks I have spent allot of time using are 2mm dunlop mini stubbies, .88 small tear drop picks, Jazz III's

2mm dunlop mini stubbies - These feel pretty big in your fingers and they can be quite smooth, I don't tend to drop picks much but these ones I found I would drop more often. These picks are quite pointy and fairly accurate but wer down after not too much play. The overall sound I got from these was quite round and dark compaired to other picks, so for tight riffing you don't get quite as much clarity.

.88mm small tear drops - After ages of playing the stubbies I tried these. The fact these are so thin took some getting used to, the main problem I had was making sure the tip was pointing down correctly, I couldn't tell half the time. These have a really nice pointy tip, makes them very accurate and because they are pretty thin as well (surprisingly stiff though) they have a really aggresive pick attack. makes fast picking and riffing really clear and tight sounding. A side effect of being thin and pointy mean they also do wear down really quickly. I used to get through one of these doing a live set no problem. In the end I had problems getting hold of these easily round here so I moved on to the JazzIII's.

JazzIII (the little red ones) - These are what I have moved onto and they are great imo. They are nice and small and pointy making them nice and accurate, but they are thick also enough to grip really well and they last for ages. The overall sound is more like the .88mm but with less attack, still got a nice clear sound for both riffing and lead, just not quite as aggresive.

Out of these three I definatley prefer the JazzIII's, they perform really well for everything, last for ages and pretty much every guitar shop I've come accross seems to stock loads. Shame they are not bright green like the .88mm picks, those were much easier to see on the floor of you drop one and don't have another to hand.

audibleE

Reaction score
Well, after a few months of playing different picks and posting the first review, I went back to the Tortex picks. Depending on what guitar I'm playing and string gauge, depicts which picks I use. Mostly the Green, Blue or Purple ones.

Oh well, back to oldies but goodies. Ciao!

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Clayton Black Jazz (Black Raven on the site I think) ftw. The sharp triangle ones are the best picks out there.

Except for the Dunlop 3.0mm stubbies. Different but also awesome.

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
I played with a Dunlop Ultex 1.0 at a show. It was the first time this pick touchd the strings. After a 40 minute set, the tip of this pick was DESTROYED. I don't know wtf happened, but there were large chew marks from the strings around the tip. I didn't do any pick scrapes, or any sort of rubbing.. just playing. I don't understand how I managed to eat an Ultex pick like that. I've been using an Ultex Jazz for over a month now and it's just now showing its age..

Maybe I should move up to the 1.14's.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Jim Dunlop Stubby 3.0 mm, best for me.

I love Stubby 3.0's, but lately I've been using these:
1153431027_NYLON_BIG_STUBBY_445_GRP_463X342.jpg

Because these are nylon, they have a softer attack and slight, almost imperceivable flex to them, a contrast to hard, glasslike attack and feel of the purple Stubby. They also stand up to abuse pretty well, and seem to retain their tips. I've been iusing them for about a month and the only problem I've seen is that they have a different wear patterns. Purple stubbys wear away smoothily and never lose their glasslke character, nylon stubbys on the hand tend to peel, and the flakes of reminding nylon can interrupt an otherwise smooth attack. What worse is the behavior is not consistent, as different stubbys picks can different amounts of flaking, the worse case scenario happening only after a few hours play.

')