A general Theory Question

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
In the E Harmonic Major (the relative of A Harmonic Minor) there's an interval between C and D#. Now is that considered a "Whole+Half" interval or does it default to a "Whole" interval ?? I've tried searching on A "Shine-Ola" load of music theory pages and they all seem to gloss over that topic completely.
They pretty much Cop Out by examining/changing to a different Key all together. If anyone knows of a Theory site that doesn't gloss over a complete explanation/examination of the "E" H. Maj scale please let me know the web Addy.:ugh:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Something I am unsure of - Would you actually consider it the relative minor of A harmonic minor? Seen as it's not a mode of it and has several different notes. By the way - there is a theory subforum further down the main page :)

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Something I am unsure of - Would you actually consider it the relative minor of A harmonic minor? Seen as it's not a mode of it and has several different notes. By the way - there is a theory subforum further down the main page :)
I guess for all practical purposes you just simply INVERT what the 3rd is regardless if it's Maj. or min.
I know it doesn't sound right for a min. of a min. to be a Maj. but several sites use that example so I'm guessing it's not a fluke or an error.
Crud, guess I didn't scroll down far enough, but at least posting here is less evil than posting this in say like the Recording Forum.
Thanks for the reply and info.:hbang:

Prog_Freak

Reaction score
Whole+Half indeed. I would tend to write that as simply W+ if writing steps with H and W's. Or you could use a 3 where there would usually just be 1's and 2's.

The Harmonic Major Scale
HARMONIC MAJOR SCALE AND ITS MODES
On the surface the answer looks so obvious, but I was wondering if there was some screwy "Rule/Loop Hole/etc.." like in English. Remember I before E except after C........
Thanks for the info and reply, Hope you're having a good turkey day, my Turkey Pot Pie is cooking in my Toaster/Oven !!! LOL:shred:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
No problem :hbang:
I'm just not sure where that relative come from. I've never really thought of the term outside of the basic maj and min, but I'm fairly sure they are supposed to share the same signature. If anything I'd say the relative major of A harmonic minor is going to be C Ionian #5 (the 3rd mode of A harmonic minor).

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
From Wiki:
One interesting property of this scale is that for any diatonic scale, there is a relative major or minor mode, and if each of these is made harmonic major or harmonic minor, the accidental required in each "harmonic" scale is actually the same note spelled enharmonically. For example, A-flat in C harmonic major and G-sharp in A harmonic minor; i.e., A harmonic minor is an "enharmonic mode" of C harmonic major.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
If anything I'd say what EtherealEntity said, and keep in mind that the interval between C and D# is always an augmented second, assuming you are ascending. If you were descending you would basically subtract from 9 to get 7 and then flip the quality, so it's a diminished seventh.

The letters (or equivalently, the staff positions) of the notes dictate the degree (second, third, etc) and the number of semitones in between dictates the quality of the interval.

ShredandBalls

Reaction score
In the E Harmonic Major (the relative of A Harmonic Minor) there's an interval between C and D#. Now is that considered a "Whole+Half" interval or does it default to a "Whole" interval ?? I've tried searching on A "Shine-Ola" load of music theory pages and they all seem to gloss over that topic completely.
They pretty much Cop Out by examining/changing to a different Key all together. If anyone knows of a Theory site that doesn't gloss over a complete explanation/examination of the "E" H. Maj scale please let me know the web Addy.:ugh:

Well, the harmonic minor and harmonic major scales aren't relatives at all. The fifth degree of the harmonic minor scale is called phrygian dominant mode which is commonly known as mixolydian b9, b13.

Now, the E Harmonic Major scale has these notes:
E, F#, G#, A, B, C, D#, E. (It's just a major scale with a bVI) The interval between the bVI and the VII is an augmented 2nd. Its enharmonic equivalent is a minor third, but it's considered and augmented 2nd because it has 1/2 step more than a major 2nd. Whether it's a whole+half or half+whole it's kinda irrelevant since what matters it's the interval itself. You could say it is whole+half since you're adding a semitone to an 1 tone interval, but its name doesn't really make a difference.

Hope it helped!

')