A good, play-at-home strat?

• Thread starter Fenceclimber
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Hello! I've been GASing for a strat-style guitar for a few years now, I used to own one and I really, really want one again.

I'm just going to use it for some simple home recording and just to play around with at home, maybe to some gigs with it, I'm not sure but I doubt it since I've gotten so in love with my sevenstring.

Anyway, I've listed three guitars that I've had my eye on for quite some time.

Jackson SDX Maple

Jackson%20as%20maple%201.jpg

ESP LTD ST-213FR
ST-213FR-Maple_BLK.png

Fender Modern Player strat

6833478_800.jpg

Fender Squier Classic Vibe Strat 50's

SQUIER%C2%AE%20Classic%20Vibe%20Stratocaster%C2%AE%20'50's%20Olympic%20White%20Maple%20neck%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.JPG

If I get the Squier, I'm probably going to get a black pickguard and a humbucker in the bridge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The SDX is a good guitar but *nothing* like a strat, neck is more reminiscent of a Les Paul and is pretty chunky actually.
Still the one I would pick because I like those kind of necks, but just know it beforehand. :)

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
I have nothing but good things to say about Squier. For the seriously budget-minded people (<$500) they have excellent quality control and playability. You definitely get the most bang for your buck going with them IMO

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
^ this. If you just need a good player that's a strat you can't beat the Squiers for the money. :)

MrPowers

Reaction score
Personally I'd get the Jackson... But over all of those I would get a used Charvel San Dimas or So Cal

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
G&L Legacy Tribute or S-500 Tribute. $300 used, $500 new.

American pickups and trem (which is incredibly stable and has a great arm holder relative to the Fender screw-in type), versatile electronics (the second tone control is a surprisingly useful bass rolloff rather than a tone knob that affects just a few pickups) and jumbo frets with a flatter fingerboard radius for easy bending and vibrato.

I love mine; I played almost two dozen Strats ranging from $250 to $1500 across three stores, and none of them grabbed me playability-wise or tonally as much as this one:

2013-01-20%252018.26.45.jpg

Daeniel

7string n00b!
Reaction score
If you want the classic Strato tone I would avoid anything with a Floyd Rose, it just takes away some sweet harmonics that contribute to the overall sound of the guitar when equipped with single coil pickups. Personally I would take the Fender, 'cause it's by far the easiest to sell if you get bored with it. Just my two cents ;) and almost every Mexican strat I've played recently was a good deal in terms of quality\price.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the squire's. So I'd personally look into the MiM strats if you want the "Fender". The G&L's that were mentioned are really nice instruments as well. To be honest, G&L would most likely be the route I'd go.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
G&L Legacy Tribute or S-500 Tribute. $300 used, $500 new.

American pickups and trem (which is incredibly stable and has a great arm holder relative to the Fender screw-in type), versatile electronics (the second tone control is a surprisingly useful bass rolloff rather than a tone knob that affects just a few pickups) and jumbo frets with a flatter fingerboard radius for easy bending and vibrato.

I love mine; I played almost two dozen Strats ranging from $250 to $1500 across three stores, and none of them grabbed me playability-wise or tonally as much as this one:

I came in here to post just about the exact thing.

You REALLY can't beat the G&L imports in that price range, and even in a few brackets above.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I hear Squiers are excellent for the price butt I'd go with the modern player simply because I like the finishes they have.

Latest posts

')