A good set of headphones?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Don't wanna break the bank, but I'll spend up to like 300 bucks for some nice over-ear headphones..anyone got anything good?

I'm interested in the Dr.Dre Beats but then again if I can do better for the money...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trenolds39

Reaction score
I've been using the Beyerdynamic DT770's for a couple of months now and absolutely love them. They have all the low end you could need, without being ridiculous. I think they work best for music or gaming, although I haven't watched any movies while wearing them. I tried Beats in a Best Buy and was initially impressed but found them uncomfortable. I think the DT770s are better in every way from the Beats. I've also heard that the Beats have shoddy construction on the band and tend to break easily, so keep that in mind.

Depending on what you want to use them for and what you're plugging them into, you may also want to consider an amp for them. $150 can get you a pretty decent amp, and there's tons of resources around as to what amps work best with what phones.

aiur55

Reaction score
Those shure are MUCH better than the beats in pretty much every aspect (except for the looks). If you dont mind going in ear and having much better sound quality than the beats, you can go with the monster turbine coppers, way better than anything in the beats lineup imo.

If you do end up getting a beyerdynamic, I would go atleast DT880 and go with the 32 ohm version, it ll sound than the other versions without an amp.

I also recommend you look at the Denon D2000, and if your budget permits D5000.

The bigger Sennheisers usually need to be driven by a good amp to sound anything decent.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Just a thought, but he might not necessarily want to block outside noises. That can be dangerous or inconvenient depending on your listening environment.

raximkoron

Reaction score
Grado drivers sound pretty amazing, but you kinda have to be gentle with them and they're uncomfortable to wear for more than a few hours at a time. I do like that they're open-back though, helps a lot with the soundstage and helps me hear surrounding sounds when needed.

I'd love to get some of those Shure 840's, but I'm keeping my eye out for open-back phones around that price range.

Cogito

Reaction score
Shure srh750's blow 840's out of the water. to the soundstage and the bass frequency is superb on the 750's imo

check out head-fi.org
it's the ss.org of headphones ha

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
I have someSennheiser HD25cII's that I use for studio monitoring/dj-ing, such fantastic headphones for the price in my opinion!

metalmonster

Reaction score
i have a pair of cheap superlux , they're great . In my opinion . At least , it's not some creepy MP3 player headphones anymore ...

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
anyone ever tried WESC headphones? they are stylish but I'm curious about their actual sound quality.

redskyharbor

Despises crabcore.
Reaction score
They're probably mostly unheard of, but try the Grado SR series. Some of the most natural sounding cans I've come across.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I love my HD-25's.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 25 Studio Monitor Headphones: Electronics

A couple of notes:

1. Do NOT confuse this model with the HD-25-SP or any other variation of the HD-25 model that sells for half the price. They're not the same at all.

2. The next time you watch any major sports broadcast, look at the headphones everyone's using. ;)

3. One of the things I love about the brand is that they keep inventory of replacement parts for every little individual piece of the assembly, so if over time your ear pads go to shit or you break a cord or whatever, they've got you covered (not free, of course), direct from the manufacturer. :yesway:

*edit* Thanks for making me miss Honolulu, by the way. ;)

Josh_Conlee

GRVMND 2014
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, picked up some able planet true fidelity noise cancelling headphones for 45 bucks from bestbuy.com and they sound pretty sexy for the price

Latest posts

')