A little help here

• Thread starter LeonMaga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeonMaga

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im having a little problem here, so the thing is that i've been playing the Dean ML shape for basically my whole 7 or 8 years of playing, besides the dean, I have a Washburn dime 332. The thing is that i've always been extremely comfortable playing these shaped guitars, the way i can play them sitting down is pretty comfy! Recently i bought a 7 string (an ltd aw-7) and playing it's kinda though, not because it's a seven, because i've played a couple before.
But because i can't find a comfortable way of playing it, i've tried the normal position, and the classical one (which im more used to, because of the ml's) but im just having a hard time. And besides, when i play it standing up it's the same thing, and the strap thingy it's in it's regular place and not on the back (like ml's or v's) So it's kinda hard for me.. What advice would you give me? Besides Practising with it alot!

When i was on my search of a 7 i looked a couple of deans 7 strings but they we're all pretty boring and looked kinda cheap.. So yeah.

Sorry if my english's bad!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Yep, certainly for me I found that I have to have 7s in a different position to 6s even if they are the same basic body shape. It took a long time to get strap length to feel right. Upshot of it is that I wear 7s a bit higher then I used to wear the 6, and my 6s I now have lower than my old position! :lol:

I did have a 7 string Jackson Kelly that I never got to feel right when standing so I swapped it on: not every guitar will necessary work for you.

It just takes time, and may affect the way that you hold all guitars.

And your English is very good too!

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I had a Razorback and I got so used to the shape that when I went back to my other guitars it felt so weird.

What helped me a lot was realistically just alternating between the two until I had a good feel again for the two of them.

stevexc

Reaction score
What works for me is tightening my strap so the guitar hangs at a spot similar to where your ML sits.

You'll get used to it with enough practice, unfortunately that's really the best advice.

Oh, one other thing that really makes a difference for me - raise the height of the chair you sit on. I'm sure it has something to do with ergonomics, posture, the angle my legs are at, or something but it really seems to help.

')