A little idea of mine, may or may not work...

• Thread starter Ginsu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I know these aren't designed for being used as a bass cab...but say I wanted to use one on my 5-string bass (In drop A, the A in question being 27hz, some of these go down to 25hz) in addition to an actual bass cab for the highs....would that work (assuming the impedance matches up and whatnot) or am I totally wrong?
JBL Subwoofers - Reviews of Surround Sound and Home Theater Gear

I quite literally am going for the most ridiculously wall-shaking bass possible without spending an exorbitant amount of money.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
JBL has great quality, sound and otherwise, but I have NO idea if this will work as a bass cab. What are you going to power the subs with?

I'm not extremely experienced on the subject, you may even know more than I do, but you'll need to be careful to match the sub's wattage ratings to the amp's output in addition to impedance matching. You might also need some kind of crossover between the amp and the cabs.

It's a cool idea though! I hope you can get it to work.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
This seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. You'd be better off looking into something like the Avatar TB153.

Also, remember that you don't need much of the 20-80Hz range at all, even for low tunings (I tune to A standard and drop G).

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I am sure it could be done, maybe run about 1000w into the sub to cover your bases. Prediction: will rattle walls/windows and be great for chicks to sit on, you/your band will sound like mud.

I'd just shop around on craigslist, maybe you can find something used.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I am sure it could be done, maybe run about 1000w into the sub to cover your bases. Prediction: will rattle walls/windows and be great for chicks to sit on, you/your band will sound like mud.

I'm not in a band, not my thing...most people think my ideas are too crazy. Like that^. :p Also, I'm just looking for something fun to do. I don't want it to be heard, just felt. :D So this gave me my answer. Thanks.

knuckle_head

Reaction score

I'm not in a band, not my thing...most people think my ideas are too crazy. Like that^. :p Also, I'm just looking for something fun to do. I don't want it to be heard, just felt. :D So this gave me my answer. Thanks.

If you tune to 27 Hz you will be well served by a cab that is competent at 55 Hz - you really don't need much more than that.

A bass note identified as a 27 Hz tone has little more than 10% of it's sonic content at 27 Hz. A 27 Hz bass note has more than three times the sonic energy at 55 Hz than it does at 27 Hz. Waterfall plots of bass notes prove this out.

If you want the first harmonic and want to have flat response so that you can indeed hear everything that is coming off the bass you will need twice the power you're using to give you 55 Hz to get you to 27 Hz regardless of speaker choice. There is no doing this with a small cabinet or small investment. These frequencies are difficult to reproduce, and expensive to reproduced in a controlled manner.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Eminent%20TRW-17d.jpg

This one is flat response to 1 Hz but costs $15000
The effect: :scream:

Ginsu

Reaction score
Eminent%20TRW-17d.jpg

This one is flat response to 1 Hz but costs $15000
The effect: :scream:
How is that even possible? Where's the link to that? That's amazing! I wanna see. Though it's more than 25 times my budget...

ixlramp

Reaction score
')