A new tallent I discovered , if you dig neoclassical chek this out !

• Thread starter Alex-D33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
That video effect was only cool for about the first 10 seconds, then I kinda wished I could see what he was doing better. Good clean playing but it was kind of average imo. It didn't blow my mind or anything.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
That video effect was only cool for about the first 10 seconds, then I kinda wished I could see what he was doing better. Good clean playing but it was kind of average imo. It didn't blow my mind or anything.

ya the video FX get lame after 11.5 seconds :lol: :agreed:
Sorry to hear that you didn't like that piece of classical shred :yesway: thanks for posting feel free to comment :hbang:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
It's good for a number of reasons. Just the memorization involved in this is demanding. He uses at least three different picking techniques. His timing is great to be able to synch up with another instrument like that. Plus, the choice of music is unusual (for electric) and therefore more interesting.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Its when I see guys like him that makes me want to quit or practice more hummm...very impressive the way he uses the other fingers of his picking hand . Lots of country players ..like Albert Lee ..the late & GREAT Danny Gatton and Steve Morse ...I would like to see what those guys could do with a SEVEN STRING..

WillingWell

Reaction score
It's good for a number of reasons. Just the memorization involved in this is demanding. He uses at least three different picking techniques. His timing is great to be able to synch up with another instrument like that. Plus, the choice of music is unusual (for electric) and therefore more interesting.

It's not syncing up, it's a piano effect like those Roland guitar synths and such. To me this was too bland and repetitive, it was all in that one register mostly and started sounding too mushed together after a while.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not syncing up, it's a piano effect like those Roland guitar synths and such. To me this was too bland and repetitive, it was all in that one register mostly and started sounding too mushed together after a while.

Each to their own, I guess. That was one of the most inspiring 'neo-classical' things I've seen in a long time. What I like is that this guy had the guts to drop all of the baroque harmonic-minor stuff that's been done to death and delve into a more harmonically rich Romantic Era composition. Bravo! This is an adaptation of an Alkan piano piece, isn't it?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Marshall Harrison isn't exactly a "new" talent, and while I'm not personally a huge fan of what I've heard, the guy IS a fuckin' sick player. :yesway:

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Marshall Harrison isn't exactly a "new" talent, and while I'm not personally a huge fan of what I've heard, the guy IS a fuckin' sick player. :yesway:

New to me :fawk:
Hey Drew Ryan said that you are the Master in setingt up guitars & i was wondering if you could tel what exactly i have to do to have a super low action on my rg1527 ( Ryan said shimmed the neck ) but how much is the correct thickness and where do you place it ...:scratch: : thanks :yesway:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've heard him quite a few times, although it's always just been jams or classical transcriptions. I wish he'd get a proper album done, as if the guy could channel all the technique into some quality compositions, he'd be beyond sick. He's an incredible pianist as well, somewhat scarily...

Oh, and he already does play a Carvin seven string from time to time!:D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
New to me :fawk:
Hey Drew Ryan said that you are the Master in setingt up guitars & i was wondering if you could tel what exactly i have to do to have a super low action on my rg1527 ( Ryan said shimmed the neck ) but how much is the correct thickness and where do you place it ...:scratch: : thanks :yesway:

:rofl:

Um, that's a huge question, dude. I'm about due for a fresh setup on my PWH, so when I do maybe I'll do a picstory.

WillingWell

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player, it's just that the particular video that was posted doesn't do much for me.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard him quite a few times, although it's always just been jams or classical transcriptions. I wish he'd get a proper album done, as if the guy could channel all the technique into some quality compositions, he'd be beyond sick. He's an incredible pianist as well, somewhat scarily...

Oh, and he already does play a Carvin seven string from time to time!:D

Thats what i was thinking :yesway: His friend Darryl Gabel is also a monster jazz-fusionist ..with a better sense of composition ..playing wise the two are wicked good . But not nearly as good a composer as Greg Howe ...IMO :yesway:

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Derryl Gabel is SICK!

But they are the two nerdiest looking guitar players I've ever seen :lol:

:lol: I must :agreed: on that they look like nerds ..but I would give my left nut to play like them :lol: the word I was looking for isn't nerds it's GEEKS ...and I consider my self a Geek of music Gear that is :lol: certain I'M not the only one on SS.ORG :lol:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Derryl Gabel's insanely good, although he occasionally makes his influences a little too obvious. I'd love to hear him do an album with a full band rather than a sequencer. I got some of his instructional stuff in powertab format via his website, and he has some great ideas for playing over changes and develolping the technical approaches Derek Taylor pioneered (313s etc.).

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
Derryl Gabel's insanely good, although he occasionally makes his influences a little too obvious. I'd love to hear him do an album with a full band rather than a sequencer. I got some of his instructional stuff in powertab format via his website, and he has some great ideas for playing over changes and develolping the technical approaches Derek Taylor pioneered (313s etc.).

Would you like to shed some light on Derek Taylor ...interested in knowing more :yesway:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's not a lot of info on him online unfortunately, as he's mostly involved in production rather than actually playing guitar. He did a couple of albums for Shrapnel (one solo album, one .00 Spool album, the Eniac Requiem album, and the Crimeny album). He was a big influence on Scott and Brett Stine, Derryl Gabel and Rusty Cooley, who all had lessons with him. Stephan Forte's a big fan as well. Santiago Dobles (Aghorasilat on these boards) also had lessons with him, so he's probably the guy to ask if you want more info. Do a search on his name, as we had a pretty interesting, informative thread on him a while ago.

He developed the legato approach to soloing a lot, particularly the 313 approach to scales and arpeggios, and the 'spocking' technique (tapping with the middle and ring fingers of the right hand). He was also experimenting with super-low tunings and seven strings pretty early compared to most shredders.

It's a bitch to find, but check out the Crimeny album, 'Peat', as that has awesome songs and some insane playing.

')