A plugin your mix cannot go without?

• Thread starter Psyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
if the Mac community wasn't getting soe much shaft from the free plugin community i'd say Lepou aswell, awesome plugins but i can't put them all on my mac, legio and Lecto are tits \m/

still hunting for a good outside EQ other than what Logic hsa to offer

Mn3mic

Reaction score
Have to edit my post, it's no longer called apeq, now it's apQualizr.
apulSoft - apQualizr

Check it out, it's the best EQ I found so far....

• 64bit internal precision
  • 2x and 4x oversampling
  • Unique filter stack feature to improve filter results
  • Output hard- and softclipping built in
  • Variable number of filterbands (up to 63)
  • Up to 40 dB gain per filter
  • Independent stereo & M/S filtering
  • High resolution FFT analyzer
  • Large analyzer display with zoom
  • Graphical editing of filters on top of the analyzer display

btfsam

Banned
Reaction score
scrolled ALL the way down this looking for someone to say ozone 4 before me and damnit the last person did.

izotope ozone 4 ftw

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Sonar VC64 Compressor is a godsend, as is Sonar's vocal strip and percussion strip plug ins. I frequently use Lexicon Pantheon reverb, more because its there and I don't have much else. Sonar V-vocal sounds so much more natural than Auto-tune and its interface is absolutely perfect.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
First off a few words about ozone... I use it only for slight maximizing purposes nowadays. Very rarely for harmonic enhancer. Oh well, it's just me. Wouldn't suggest it if you didn't do any mastering jobs!

For me the plugin of choise would be either Waves 8 band EQ for surgery work or Melda Productions compressor, EQ or the analyzer! Analyzer is so worth it!

Valdolopezz

Reaction score
UAD's 2 1176 compressor + precision multiband compressor

Vintage warmer and sound toys decapitator to add warmth

and slate digital fgx for master bus

cant work without diz stuff )))

p.s.
By the way, advice me some quality stereo enhancer, please *)

in-pursuit

Reaction score
Don't use one. Please. It won't help you. It may make it sound wider, but it's always made my stuff sound weird.

YMMV, however...

I've gotta second this. even the stereo widener in ozone fucks with my shit in a way that I just can't stand. you're better off just getting creative with your panning instead it will save you many hours and headaches.

atm I'm digging the stillwell event horizon, waves Q10 para EQ, audiocation compressor and transX multi. I downloaded the stillwell bombadier bus compressor not long ago but am yet to dive in with that one, looks pretty daunting haha!

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Yeah, Nolly said it's required to read the manual for the Bombardier. I believe him, having messed with it a little bit!

This thread's actually opening my eyes to companies I hadn't heard of before. Isn't helping the recording withdrawls any, though. :(

EDIT: I'm going to have to try that Analyzer out, Kurk! Free hurts nothing!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Don't use one. Please. It won't help you. It may make it sound wider, but it's always made my stuff sound weird.

YMMV, however...

I've gotta second this. even the stereo widener in ozone fucks with my shit in a way that I just can't stand. you're better off just getting creative with your panning instead it will save you many hours and headaches.

atm I'm digging the stillwell event horizon, waves Q10 para EQ, audiocation compressor and transX multi. I downloaded the stillwell bombadier bus compressor not long ago but am yet to dive in with that one, looks pretty daunting haha!

Don't second it. Stereo enhancers can make you sound weird if you don't know how to use them, but can be a real help when cleaning up a mix for vocals and such. It's also a nice tool to widen synths that normally end up in the middle.

Bus your guitars on one track -> multiband compressor -> light stereo enhancer -> free space for vocals in the middle and a bigger mix. I use the cubases default enhancer and it works fine.

Another application would be (thanks to iceythe for this one) enhancing the upper frequencies of bass guitar. This is what I do. Copy bass to another track -> high pass the other, low pass the other copy -> distort the one with hich freqs with your fav distortion -> stereo enhance the fuck out of it -> here you are, once again you have more space for vocals in the middle NOT fighting against bass' higher frequencies. Plus you have a clearer bass sound. Your bassist will be happy too.

Valdolopezz

Reaction score
Another application would be (thanks to iceythe for this one) enhancing the upper frequencies of bass guitar. This is what I do. Copy bass to another track -> high pass the other, low pass the other copy -> distort the one with hich freqs with your fav distortion -> stereo enhance the fuck out of it -> here you are, once again you have more space for vocals in the middle NOT fighting against bass' higher frequencies. Plus you have a clearer bass sound. Your bassist will be happy too.

Thats the thing i should to experiment with, thanks for an advice)
And what enhancer do you use? Ozone, Psp, Bx etc? or DAW's default?

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I cannot name just one plugin because it is just a fraction of the total sum, but MeldaProduction really upped a notch in their latest version of MCompressor. Even their MEqualizer got itself an analyzer, geez.

GMulti is also amazing as - apart from multiband dynamics - it has multiband stereo enhancement as well. It lets me more accurately place the low-end of rhythm guitars closer to center to avoid that ear tingling, and still leave the rest of the spectrum far to the sides.

Latest posts

')