A really refreshing piece of music

• Thread starter Esp Griffyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of my time recently listening to mainly metal, which is unusual for me, as I generally listen to more jazz fusion, but I stumbled across this on my computer. I haven't listened to the album this track came from, and I was just blown away by how fresh this sounds, despite being nearly 9 years old. The album, M2, actually won a grammay for being the best comtemporary jazz abum of the year.

If one thing is true of jazz, it stands the test of time better than metal imo - being generally less mainstream, its less prone to fashions and trends. Whats cool in metal these days is quite different to what was cool with the masses in 2001!

This, I feel is the standout track of the album, and has shockingly only had 27 views (of this video at least!) on youtube, I'm assuming the vid was uploaded quite recently, as Marcus Miller isn't a small name in jazz!

Anyway, I thought this would be quite cool to post here, as this forum has quite a strong metal and shred saturation, its always nice to hear something fresh and different, and I think it helps us all grow as musicians, even if we don't all go off and play jazz, folk, indian classical or whatever, there are still loads of things we can learn from other genres and apply them to our own musical philosophy in order to become better musicians and people.

Note the awesome bass player, very groovey. Some fantastic sax playing also, the free improvisational feel adds a real cool aura to the song. It's one of the great things about jazz I feel, that the bands can sound tight and yet loose and relaxed, which gives the music an almost live feel, but with the awesome production quality of a studio recording. There have been some less than civil discussions in the past about what constitutes "heavy", and as I have always said, its not crushing drums, blast beats, double bass, low tunings and death growls, its more about the atmosphere to me. In the same way that I find some of Opeth's acoustic stuff form Damnation to be heavier than the more death metal Deliverance, I find this kind of heavy, tight jazz vibe to be "heavier" to me than most metal. Perhaps the more musically open minded of you out there will agree with me, or at least see where I'm coming from on that! Even if you don't agree with me, at least listen to the song, I would be surprised if anyone here didn't enjoy it. Fantastic in every element, you can't really criticise anything about it. The production, the composition, the improvisation, the atmosphere generated, its superb.

Ladies and djentlemen, I present to you, Marcus Miller's "3 Deuces"

Enjoy, discuss, share your thoughts

Dave :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kheros

Seasons Change
Reaction score
This track is pretty cool. I love me some good saxophone playing, and jazz in general.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds cool but for that kind of sound I prefer spyro gyra,I love them.

Nidolf

Reaction score
Marcus Miller is easily my favourite Jazz/Funk bassist. To paraphrase my friend: "He makes the bass sound like a bass is supposed to sound"
I just remembered this awesome video of Miller playing his tune Scoop (solo)

YouTube - Marcus Miller - Scoop

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
really, really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't class it as heavy, I get where you're coming from with the atmosphere angle, but personally I wouldn't class this song under such terms.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Howard Moon: I'm driving, it's my music we're having.
Vince Noir: Not Jazz!
Howard Moon: [lifts cassette] No. This, my friend, is Jazz Funk.
Vince Noir: Oh. The double? That's even worse!
Howard Moon: The mixture. The cerebral musicality of Jazz mixed with the visceral groove of funk.
Vince Noir: Funk?
Howard Moon: Imagine that.
Vince Noir: Funk?
Howard Moon: What a combo.
Vince Noir: Jazz's deformed cousin!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I really love Marcus - he's an absolutely awesome bassist, and he has such an amazing groove at all times. Thanks for the linkage, mate! :yesway:

')