A replacement tremolo for my JP7

• Thread starter jimiyves
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimiyves

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in search of a tremolo for my JP7. I found the Hipshot US Contour 7 String Tremolo, and I would like to know if this trem could get with the JP7 ?
It seems to be almost the same tremolo, but I want to be sure it will be ok.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you want to replace the trem on that? Most people love the JP7 trem. If it's a tuning stability thing, I doubt the Hipshot will be any more stable since it's not a locking trem either.

jimiyves

Reaction score
Because I have no Tremolo on my guitar :lol:

I bought it without Tremolo, and I'd like to buy a similar Tremolo to the JP7 Tremolo

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I guess that makes sense :lol: The routes might not be the same. I have never heard of anyone buying this particular guitar in parts, so I don't think anyone here would have a definitive answer for you. Could always get it routed for an OFR :lol:

jimiyves

Reaction score
OFR could not get in the emplacement, and I would have to install a locking nut, and I don't like locking nut :wallbash:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to install a locking nut, some people use floyds without them, like Chris Broderick. You just can't go crazy on it. However, the routing for an OFR would suck on that guitar :lol:

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to install a locking nut, some people use floyds without them, like Chris Broderick. You just can't go crazy on it. However, the routing for an OFR would suck on that guitar :lol:

Broderick has tilted neck on his LACS and JP7 has straight so it maybe a bigger problem without the locking nut

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to install a locking nut with a Floyd. They work well with locking tuners.

The Hipshot is your closest bet, but it won't be an exact fit. Have you tried calling EBMM to see if they'll sell you a bridge? (My guess is they'll say no, but it can't hurt to ask.)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Broderick has tilted neck on his LACS and JP7 has straight so it maybe a bigger problem without the locking nut

It's a bolt on, so you could shim the neck if needed, but I would think a tilted headstock would be the more important part. Do the JP7's have a tilted headstock?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
That would probably be a problem then. But I don't think the guy is really looking to route for an OFR, but it's just a thought.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are you talking about tilted necks or tilted headstocks?

Yes, you could shim the neck so the trem floats above the guitar's surface. That's the way we used to do it in the old days before guys like Steve Vai made carving more wood off the guitar's body fashionable. (And incidentally, i believe it was Brad Gillis who did the back-routing thing first.)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
nikt mentioned tilted necks, but I brought up that a tilted headstock would probably be more of an issue, or rather not having one would be a problem. Like I said though, this dude probably won't be into routing his guitar for an OFR. I probably wouldn't have bought a JP without the trem, as replacing it is going to be a bitch unless you do some modification.

jimiyves

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.

You don't HAVE to install a locking nut with a Floyd. They work well with locking tuners.

The Hipshot is your closest bet, but it won't be an exact fit. Have you tried calling EBMM to see if they'll sell you a bridge? (My guess is they'll say no, but it can't hurt to ask.)

EBMM told me that they don't have JP7 Tremolo at the moment, and it would cost 365 € (almost 500 US $) !! I can't wait for a long time, so I want to order a tremolo quickly.

I think the Hipshot is the better choice, it's closer to the JP7 tremolo than an OFR.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
What I would do is look at the dimensions of the Hipshot trem and then ask someone what the dimensions of the JP trem are. If they're pretty similar you may have a direct fit.

jimiyves

Reaction score
I asked Hipshot in order to know if their trem is close to the JP7 trem.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
We have an office guitar that's a Soloist body with a Strat head neck with a Floyd, and Schaller mini locking tuners, and for the life of me, I can't knock it out of tune, no matter have Vai-extreme I get with it.

With a good setup, and locking tuners, you don't need a locking nut.

jimiyves

Reaction score
Ok, but I don't think that OFR will go with my guitar, since it is too big (or too long if you prefer).

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Ok, but I don't think that OFR will go with my guitar, since it is too big (or too long if you prefer).

well, of course it won't. They were suggesting you rout out the body a bit and put one in there, which I wouldn't do, especially if you want the guitar to retain its value better. I mean, the idea is cool but its a bit overkill for what you need.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
(And incidentally, i believe it was Brad Gillis who did the back-routing thing first.)

I'd + rep you for knowing that but then I'd have to - rep you for mentioning BG's name. :lol:

Jeff Watson was SO under rated. :bowdown:

Latest posts

')