A reputation to overcome?

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
But did 7 strings ever really get to "the masses" before now? You see people playing them a lot more now than you did in, say, 1998. I actually think we're at the high water mark for 7 string sales right now - look at all the different models available, and some (like the Schecters) are backordered.

I think the hype flooded the market with them back in the 90s, and a bunch of people who wanted them for all the wrong reasons bought a cheap seven for too much when a good six down-tuned for the same price would have made them much happier. Now the selection is much more limited, but I see a lot of small operations building high quality guitars at reasonable prices. Not to mention that Schecter has stepped up to the plate to offer a great alternative to Ibanez and ESP in the midrange market. There is also always the Carvin route.

In the 80s, cheap guitars really were cheap in every way, and you had to spend a lot of money to get something that wasn't junk. Then, with the 90s the midrange market exploded, and the new seven string "fad" made seven strings the same as guitars in the 80s: pieces of junk and expensive, quality instruments. Now, with the seven string scene "dead" (you know, like metal "died" in the 90s :lol), things have balanced out and there is a broader range of sevens across all price points. You can get your $600 Schecter that will absolutely smoke, step up to a more expensive Ibanez that plays a lot better, and graduate to something in the $1300-1800 range from a small builder that will rival the various custom shops of the big boys.

When I joined Divison and needed to pick up a couple of sevens, I was pretty discouraged that I wasn't going to be playing something anywhere near as nice as my USA Jacksons. I've now seen that I can find something that nice, and at about the same price. It simply took people telling me where to look. If you think about it, there really is no "beginner" seven string market. Practically everyone starts with a six, and then steps up when they feel they need a low B without sacrificing the range they already have. By the time you're ready to step up, you're hopefully a more educated consumer who is willing to spend the time researching what you want.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
i dunno, if you look through say feb '00 guitar world theres 7 string ads all over it. i didnt even remember them being that popular. and as much as head and munky are not quite up to the level of virtuoso :fawk: its safe to say i wouldnt be here right now. i wouldnt have even picked up the guitar.

i was gonna buy an S470 in jewel blue, then i saw the 7620 when i was browsing about the net, remembering from when i was 13 "thats the guitar that korn uses blah blah blah" but what really got me was when i was laying in bed trying to sleep and a song off life is peachy came on and i was like "my god those guitars sound friggin HUGE!"

and sure they might not be able to pull off sweeps or anything in a traditional mode perhaps but at least they did something different and for that i give em props. its not really their fault every nu metal kid on the block saw them and decided they wanted a 7 string too.

precisely. i hated how it became a fad. anything like that really destroys the whole scene. like when grunge became fashion instead of the music. it toally killed it. good post man

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
But did 7 strings ever really get to "the masses" before now? You see people playing them a lot more now than you did in, say, 1998. I actually think we're at the high water mark for 7 string sales right now - look at all the different models available, and some (like the Schecters) are backordered.

As far as manufacturers....
Dude, in the late 90s, nearly EVERY manufacturer had a 7-string in their product line. Ibanez, of course, lead the charge. Check out a Musician's Friend catalog from 4-5 years ago & you'll see the difference compared to now.

Now that the 7 market has died down, Ibanez reduced their 7s, but Schecter is adding 7s. I think one of the reasons Schecter is now the 7-string leader (for new guitars) is because Schecter is endorsing many of the new metal/hardcore bands in the last 5 years. Kudos to them! Schecter is one of the few brands that are pumping out a variety of 7s, thus they are backordered (just like Ibanez use to be on UVs in the late 90s).

As far as players...
I saw many more 7-string players in the late 90s then I do now (locally & nationally).

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
For me, I cannot stand playing in E and have always been that way ever since the early ninties. I got into death and I had all my sixes tuned down but I had a wide variety of music I was into as well. I saw the 7-string as a perfect instrument for me.

I knew about Vai and the Ibanez UVs and 7-strings but didn't start playing them until 1998. Korn was very popular and I liked them alot but never cared to take the 7-string down the path they did.

Trey Azagthoth was the first person I saw playing a 7 live.
I got into a band in 1996 and played a 6-string tuned down to low A, by '98 I had all those songs down and sounding better on a 7 plus writing a shitload of songs.

Now, I play in bartone tuning, baritone with the low b dropped to a, standard tuning all on the 7. It's all I need. :)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shawn said:
For me, I cannot stand playing in E and have always been that way ever since the early ninties. I got into death and I had all my sixes tuned down but I had a wide variety of music I was into as well. I saw the 7-string as a perfect instrument for me.

I love E and have always loved E. Although, I did play in one-step down in one band I was in and drop-D in another band, I played standard in all the other bands. And, even on my 7-string (which is in standard), I probably play the low E more than the low B... Although I love them both.

zultone

Reaction score
eaeolian said:
A lot of guys I know that play "straight" metal are going 7 string now - I think Loomis is leading the charge there - and many death metal players I know have been using them for a while.

Humorously, the "Nu" bands around here have all gone to baritone 6s - which actually fits what they're doing better, anyway, since they don't solo or really use a high E.

Chris is on to something, though - I doubt I'd own my CS Jackson if there were as many 7 string options when I ordered it as there are now. I'd like to see that continue...
Hehe, I'm a death metaler gone 7.

The nu metal thing sucks though. I was accused of being a korn wannabe, because I have a seven string. :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Naren said:
I love E and have always loved E. Although, I did play in one-step down in one band I was in and drop-D in another band, I played standard in all the other bands. And, even on my 7-string (which is in standard), I probably play the low E more than the low B... Although I love them both.
Dont get me wrong, I still play in E just not nearly as much as low b or low a. :)

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:
Dont get me wrong, I still play in E just not nearly as much as low b or low a. :)

I did get you wrong & now my day is forever ruined. You suck, Shawn. :fawk:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shannon said:
I did get you wrong & now my day is forever ruined. You suck, Shawn. :fawk:

I got you wrong too, Shawn. I'll never forgive you...

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I thought you were one of those weird people who just refused to play in certain keys... Like "I refuse to play in F#, C, and Ab!" Seemed kinda strange that you never played in E...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Naren said:
I thought you were one of those weird people who just refused to play in certain keys... Like "I refuse to play in F#, C, and Ab!" Seemed kinda strange that you never played in E...
I'll play any key.
I play in E when doing covers, and some original stuff.
I've been playing in B alot more for original stuff.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shawn said:
For me, I cannot stand playing in E and have always been that way ever since the early ninties.
I should've said "I love playing in B alot more than E". :noplease: :)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yeah, the "I cannot stand playing in E" didn't make much sense to me... How can you "not stand" playing in a key...?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Yeah, the "I cannot stand playing in E" didn't make much sense to me... How can you "not stand" playing in a key...?
He was reffering to a tuning and you're reffering to key signatures ;p

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
He was reffering to a tuning and you're reffering to key signatures ;p

He tuned down on his sixes because he didn't like playing in standard E, but when he got a 7-string, he kept it in standard (and tuned some down) and plays in "B" (and "A"). But, in that case, it doesn't have to do with tuning, but with keys. In the original post, I believe he was referring to both tunings and keys.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
He tuned down on his sixes because he didn't like playing in standard E, but when he got a 7-string, he kept it in standard (and tuned some down) and plays in "B" (and "A"). But, in that case, it doesn't have to do with tuning, but with keys. In the original post, I believe he was referring to both tunings and keys.
90% of old-skool metal is in E... both key and tuning :lol:

Most guitarists are STILL in the habit of basing most of their original riffs and writing songs off of the lowest 2 open strings, and hence, most songs end up in those keys (or their relatives).

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to be a "Neo" or a "Sentinal Agent" type...most are just satisfied being mainstream human fluff who can easily be exploited and marketed too. Just believe that there are enough 7-strings that were made or being made now to be harvested by the hands of those who deserve them. Happy Halloween!!

Latest posts

')