A reputation to overcome?

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
jufob said:
Not everyone wants to be a "Neo" or a "Sentinal Agent" type...most are just satisfied being mainstream human fluff who can easily be exploited and marketed too. Just believe that there are enough 7-strings that were made or being made now to be harvested by the hands of those who deserve them. Happy Halloween!!
Was this like an excerpt from an Ultimate Warrior promo or something? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to always tune down my six, either a full step, or a step and a half; but with my seven, standard tuning is perfect, we have a couple songs that are in E and I just touch on the B a little, and 1 song is in E and I never touch B. works great.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
90% of old-skool metal is in E... both key and tuning :lol:

Most guitarists are STILL in the habit of basing most of their original riffs and writing songs off of the lowest 2 open strings, and hence, most songs end up in those keys (or their relatives).

Most of the Maiden-esque stuff is, yeah, but once you get into all the thrash/death/technical metal coming around the late 80s, early 90s, all that changes. \m/

But basing off that principal of riff writing, you also have to keep in mind, that a lot of bands play in D#bMin, G#Min, C#min,etc. or, even D, G & C minor... or... F# & Bmin ;p

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
jufob said:
Not everyone wants to be a "Neo" or a "Sentinal Agent" type...most are just satisfied being mainstream human fluff who can easily be exploited and marketed too. Just believe that there are enough 7-strings that were made or being made now to be harvested by the hands of those who deserve them. Happy Halloween!!

Dude, thats the best rationale i've ever heard lol You rule :hbang: :hbang: :hbang:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Most of the Maiden-esque stuff is, yeah, but once you get into all the thrash/death/technical metal coming around the late 80s, early 90s, all that changes. \m/

But basing off that principal of riff writing, you also have to keep in mind, that a lot of bands play in D#bMin, G#Min, C#min,etc. or, even D, G & C minor... or... F# & Bmin ;p
Yeah, and once a band plays in said key/tuning, the rationale follows... 90% of their songs remain in that key/tuning! :lol: So, nothing really changes.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Actually, I'd say that most "classic metal" bands play in either E or A (key-wise. Tuning wise, it's almost all standard).

I've always been a huge fan of standard and I play in standard 80% of the time. My six-string right now is tuned in drop-B and has been for the last few days, but I prefer to keep the really low stuff on my 7-string.

Also most bands (especially metal) play mainly off of their lowest tuned string. So if it's 6-string standard, most stuff is in E. If it's 7-string standard, most stuff is in B. If it's 6-string drop-D, most stuff is in D. If it's 6-string drop-C, most stuff is in C.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:

Why not major for a change? :)

peterchau

Heavy Metal Pirate
Reaction score
Naren said:
Why not major for a change? :)
Because musicians try to be manly and put up an angery side. They just wanna spread there feelings to others. You see, they arent bad people, they just misunderstood. :lol:

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
To Dark Wolf: I just applied an idea from the movie "The Matrix" to what I was reading in this thread. These guitarists jumped down the rabbit-hole and are plowing up new uncharted musical territory and I like it! To Hatebreeder: Yes, you get it, you're a "Neo" and I sense you can't be intimidated and it comes across in your guitar playing and that means YOU rule!!!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
jufob said:
To Hatebreeder: Yes, you get it, you're a "Neo" and I sense you can't be intimidated and it comes across in your guitar playing and that means YOU rule!!!

Sounds like a horoscope or fortune cookie or something. "You are a Neo. You cannot be intimidated and it comes across in your guitar playing. You don't let people get in your way, but, because of this, you will never be able to love. You are great at guitar, but will die alone." :ugh:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Sounds like a horoscope or fortune cookie or something. "You are a Neo. You cannot be intimidated and it comes across in your guitar playing. You don't let people get in your way, but, because of this, you will never be able to love. You are great at guitar, but will die alone." :ugh:
:lol: The things you say sometimes, Eric...

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
I just returned a compliment, dude, I speak no harm on no one especially a fellow 7-string player (there are too few of us) it's just not my style. On a positive note your quote "you're great at guitar" to whom you directed that too seems to have already achieved an envious reputation and the two negative comments: never love and die lonely are only possible probable non-poweful outcomes because we are beings with free-will who can direct our own outcomes. Besides Ted says, "I've got news for you, you don't have to go." (from the song "Stranglehold")

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
you will never be able to love. You are great at guitar, but will die alone." :ugh:
You cant be talking about me. Cause i get plenty of love ;p

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
jufob said:
I just returned a compliment, dude, I speak no harm on no one especially a fellow 7-string player (there are too few of us) it's just not my style. On a positive note your quote "you're great at guitar" to whom you directed that too seems to have already achieved an envious reputation and the two negative comments: never love and die lonely are only possible probable non-poweful outcomes because we are beings with free-will who can direct our own outcomes. Besides Ted says, "I've got news for you, you don't have to go." (from the song "Stranglehold")
I SWEAR this is the Ultimate Warrior!

This comment makes me go, "...Huh?"

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
You cant be talking about me. Cause i get plenty of love ;p

Nah, I wasn't talking about you. I was just screwing with the way that post sounded.

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
When i first heard Vai on a seven, i thought "hey that's different".

When i first heard Trey on his seven, i thought "hey that's cool".

When i first heard At The Gates on their sevens with Slaughter of the Soul, i finally thought "gaddamn, I must have one!"

I never cared why they were in or out of style, demand, whatever. If the music I want to creat requires a wide range of notes, then I want a 7 regardless.

If today's bands continue to play in their low tunings, and continue to bring shredding back into style, then, as already mentioned, today's demand may even grow to an even larger degree.

Roland777

Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
I never cared why they were in or out of style, demand, whatever. If the music I want to creat requires a wide range of notes, then I want a 7 regardless.

Word!

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I got my first seven back in 1991, when the nu-metal guys were all in junior high school or something. I was rather unimaginative at the time and the low-B on that UV7BK seemed like a useless appendage, so I sold the guitar within a short time. :(

It's only been within the last three years or so that I got back in seven-stringing, and it's entirely due to the shred players.

Latest posts

')