A simple question

• Thread starter bonethug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I've always seen sigs as a set of specs that are in some way different then standard. I couldn't care less about the name attached, because I'm not trying to be like them. Just got a PRS Mushok SE baritone and I think Staind is utter shit. But the guitar has the specs I wanted to try, and why limit myself because I don't like the artist it represents? Think of all the people who play JPs - I'm pretty sure I saw Joe Bonamassa playing the EBMM JP baritone, and that guy has his own Gibson sig.

If companies didn't make sigs we'd have a lot less variation. The fans of the band are the wide adopters of the sigs, without them I doubt some of the crazier guitars would've sold (and as a result less money into R&D for new guitars). Names are what sell guitars.

:2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bonethug

Reaction score
I've always seen sigs as a set of specs that are in some way different then standard. I couldn't care less about the name attached, because I'm not trying to be like them. Just got a PRS Mushok SE baritone and I think Staind is utter shit. But the guitar has the specs I wanted to try, and why limit myself because I don't like the artist it represents? Think of all the people who play JPs - I'm pretty sure I saw Joe Bonamassa playing the EBMM JP baritone, and that guy has his own Gibson sig.

If companies didn't make sigs we'd have a lot less variation. The fans of the band are the wide adopters of the sigs, without them I doubt some of the crazier guitars would've sold (and as a result less money into R&D for new guitars). Names are what sell guitars.

:2c:
Well what I'm trying to get at is why not just make guitars with different specs instead of spending money endorsing musicians?

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
It's been over a year since I bought my last guitar and I'm dying for a 7. Whenever I go to guitar center, all i see is mass produced overpriced guitars. They're never set up properly, they all have basic low end quality parts and in my opinion they get way too much business. On the other spectrum there are customs which a poor boy like myself will never afford. I go to bed thinking of the day I might own something made exactly to my specs. A guitar so perfect that I will never buy another. The thought of building my own comes in to mind. Giving birth to a monstrous seven. Where do I start?

Post script. Does anyone actually buy signature guitars? I can understand if the guy is your hero and you want a remake of his or her guitar. I just think that guitar companies have way too much invested in signatures. I can't bring myself to play something with someone else's name... thats coming from someone who ghosts the brand name off....

Dude I hear you. I HATE signature guitars. The only time I condone them is if the person who buys one simply wants a guitar with those specs yet cant afford a custom. For instance your not going to find many ash bodied maple fretboard 7s in the production market. Your only choices really are the schecter loomis model and some odd ball agiles.

But you will find me an you are actually a rare breed. Seems in the seven world people LOVE themselves some signature guitars. So much to the fact that some obsess over signature guitars that havent been released yet like they are the greatest guitar ever made yet no one but the artist has even played one. Ive seen countless posts on this forum and others where people who come here asking for a recommendation on a guitar get pointed to something that was just shown at namm. Now dont get me wrong I understand getting excited over gear and wanting to check it out when its released. But I also feel its a bit premature and irresponsible to recommend products that NO ONE has even played let alone seen in person. Me? I dont own a ferrari or a lambo. So Im not about to go tell people that they NEED to find a way to buy a F360 modena when i havent even been on the same street as one. :scratch:

bonethug

Reaction score
Dude I hear you. I HATE signature guitars. The only time I condone them is if the person who buys one simply wants a guitar with those specs yet cant afford a custom. For instance your not going to find many ash bodied maple fretboard 7s in the production market. Your only choices really are the schecter loomis model and some odd ball agiles.

But you will find me an you are actually a rare breed. Seems in the seven world people LOVE themselves some signature guitars. So much to the fact that some obsess over signature guitars that havent been released yet like they are the greatest guitar ever made yet no one but the artist has even played one. Ive seen countless posts on this forum and others where people who come here asking for a recommendation on a guitar get pointed to something that was just shown at namm. Now dont get me wrong I understand getting excited over gear and wanting to check it out when its released. But I also feel its a bit premature and irresponsible to recommend products that NO ONE has even played let alone seen in person. Me? I dont own a ferrari or a lambo. So Im not about to go tell people that they NEED to find a way to buy a F360 modena when i havent even been on the same street as one. :scratch:

You hit the nail on the head dude, I also wonder where a lot of guys get the money for not one or two nice guitars but entire collections!

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
We gather them over time. I own three customs and another on the way, but I've. Ills tex these over the last few years. Production guitars are often decent value for money and when it comes to second hand guitars there are many reasons to sell. I'm thinking of selling a few guitars, not because there is anything wrong with them. I just want more shiny gear and can't justify keeping so many guitars and amps when I'm not using them.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Also, Jackson make seven strings. Both American customs and Japanese mass produced models.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
well ehm what you want is impossible. You cant get a high end guitar without paying like over at least 1000$ for it. you simply get what you pay for. I found myself in the same position as you do, and decided to build my own guitar. it saves you a pretty penny as long as you don´t screw anything up. i have all the tools i need and my total cost will be around 700 euros, so roughly 850$ destroyer with a mahogany body, quilted maple top, 5 piece maple walnut neck, 26,5 inch scale, fr trem, dimarzio pickups. can´t wait until its finished

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
Also, Jackson make seven strings. Both American customs and Japanese mass produced models.

but if you want a japanese jackson you have to buy now as the factory that was making jap jacksons closed down. Every japanese model has been discontinued. Which really does suck as they actually had better quality than the USA guitars of recent years.

jdecaire

Reaction score
On the note of signature guitars, I bought my Loomis FR because it had the specs that I wanted...it just happens to be a coincidence that Jeff Loomis is kickass and one of my favourite guitarists haha. I also own a Richie Sambora MIM strat because I wanted a reasonably priced HSS strat and it has a floyd II bridge and a dimarzio PAF in the bridge.

moral of the story is that artist sigs can be great and have the specs you are looking for...who cares if it has someone's name on the headstock?...but if you can't find anything that you are satisfied with then you have to go custom and as people said carvin is probably your best bang for your buck

bonethug

Reaction score
On the note of signature guitars, I bought my Loomis FR because it had the specs that I wanted...it just happens to be a coincidence that Jeff Loomis is kickass and one of my favourite guitarists haha. I also own a Richie Sambora MIM strat because I wanted a reasonably priced HSS strat and it has a floyd II bridge and a dimarzio PAF in the bridge.

moral of the story is that artist sigs can be great and have the specs you are looking for...who cares if it has someone's name on the headstock?...but if you can't find anything that you are satisfied with then you have to go custom and as people said carvin is probably your best bang for your buck

Ya but carvin only comes in a 14 inch FB rad and I like a 16 (picky I know!). When it comes down to it, I just need to build my own to be happy with both cost and specs.

')