A slightly unsatisfying NGD

• Thread starter Kristianx510
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
So I ordered my new Fender Telecaster from guitar center, and got it today. Played it for a little bit, and am pretty happy with it. I've always been partial to Telecasters so it was about time I got one of my own.
(sorry for the sideways pictures)
s4syf5.jpg

It wasn't until I went to restring it that I noticed one of the issues..
2d1pgqs.jpg

one of the screws to hold the saddle is missing!! I restrung it back up and it doesn't sound any worse or anything(to be honest, I dont know what kind of difference this will make), but It is still kind of annoying.

But I brushed that off and kept playing. Then i noticed this.
dmdy5x.jpg

This one isn't as big of a deal to me, but I noticed some wear on the bottom of the neck. On a new instrument though..Is this normal?

So I need some advice. What would you guys do? I'm pretty sure can get a replacement for the screw from my local guitar shop with no hassle, but What do you guys think about the neck issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
I would take it back. When I worked at Sam Ash, there was always at least one Fender that was damaged to the point of no return per shipment from them. I remember sending numerous guitars back because the necks were broken, and I wish I was lying. I'm sure your guitar center deals with the same kinds of things all the time with Fender, so I recommend taking it back. If it was just the screw, I could see getting a new screw, but for the finish chipping on the neck, if my guitar is going to have dings, I want to put them there myself.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Well now that I think of it..The guitar was discounted $50. I guess this might be why? But still, I kind of wish they told me about this.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I'd take it back. Unacceptable flaws for a new instrument. Just read that it was discounted $50, that's probably why but it's still wrong that they didn't tell you before hand so you could save yourself the unpleasant surprise.

tompa909

Reaction score
Yeah man, take it back. If you buy new then you want to be the one to put the lovemarks on it. Otherwise you would have bought it used for half the price.

byrdparis

Reaction score
im sure will suggest to take her back, but you need to decide and look at all the angles;
there is a tele that you find ok in there to replace the one you holding?
how much the chip you've got underneath bother you?
and if its acceptable from your side that the 50$ disc' will cover your "findings"?

i guess that the screw issue they can fix right away.

mongey

Reaction score
I'd email fender and tell them a major dealer sent you a guitar with obvious flaws

I bet you anything fender make it right

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
I'd email fender and tell them a major dealer sent you a guitar with obvious flaws

I'd like to believe that, but i'd surprised.

Another :yesway: for sending it back. The screw is there to set intonation - without it, the string will likely sound wrong on higher frets and i can see a potential for buzzing, particularly with thicker strings.

And that finish thing on the neck... That's just wrong.
Back it should go.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
To make matters worse she fell off her stand tonight and got a nice chip in the paint.. its not deep, but at this point I would just feel like a jackass returning it. The paint on the neck doesn't bug me at all really. To be honest I kind of like the worn feel. It might sound like I'm just making the best of a bad situation, but I think I'm just going to get the screw fixed and keep it. Hopefully this is the last of my problems haha.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Buy a strat screw. Ignore wear. However, go back to the store with it and complain, ask them if they could either give you a replacement, or make it right by giving you a strap or whatever piece of gear you'd like to have. At least ask them to get you a replacement for the missing screw, and ask if they can get a new neck. That should be the minimum.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Nevermind how much it'll bother you, what do you think it's gonna do to resale value if you ever need to dump it. For a new guitar, I'd be trying to preserve as much value as possible.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
Take it back, we are always happy to help you out. And if for some reason they give you trouble PM me and I will help.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score

I'd make the dealer do it. The dealer definitely won't say no.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I too would take it back. Even with the chip that you put into it, I would just say you saw all this stuff after getting home. I don't typically think returning an instrument you chipped yourself is proper behaviour, but being as fucked up as it is when you got it home I think it's a bit fair game sadly. Or at least do as MF Kitten said and go and complain and ask for a discount, credit, or some form of compensation for accepting a subpar instrument.

Rev.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Go and return it, even if its chipped, blame it on the store or tell that you bought it like that.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
UPDATE: took it to my local guitar shop and he reassured me the neck is fine, and he replaced the screw and properly set up all my saddles for a grand total of $2. All in all, I think getting $50 off just for a little scuff on the neck isn't so bad. I really am in love with this guitar.

')