A thread about my guitar (56k-maybe)

FortePenance

Reaction score
So y'all remember all that shit I picked up for my black guitar?

Like that stuffs and stuffs
4b12a8c2.jpg

Yeah, well fuck that black finish :fawk:

My plan? Turn this:
ibanez_rgt42dx.jpg

into this:
4515110324862.jpg

Sanding officially commenced today and after a few hours of laboured sanding (didnt have a palm sander >.<), the result was:

A whole lotta lacquer dust and shit:
98643906.jpg

Mahogany hidden under layers of sealer and paint, revealed
500fc016.jpg

The 5pc maple/walnut peeping out of the heavy holds of the paint:
ea7f5caf.jpg

Full body shot:
dc0ee016.jpg

I did more work after I took these photos btw. >.>

-----
Yeah, expect more updates from this thread. My RGT is getting an entire revamp over easter that I've been meaning to do for ages. The finish will be replaced with a natural tung-oiled look, the bridge swapped out for a Gotoh tremolo or an Edge Pro (if i can find one on the cheap), pots and switches replaced with brand name AllParts hardware, tuners with Planet Waves tuners and stock Ibanez pickups for DiMarzios. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
ooh, cool, ive always thought about doing this to my RGT, but i love black guitars too much :D

FortePenance

Reaction score
ooh, cool, ive always thought about doing this to my RGT, but i love black guitars too much :D

Yeah, the black was cool, but I like change. Not to mention I lusted for the RGT220H only for about, forever (along with it's ash counterpart). :lol: It was partly my incentive to get the RGT42 since it was similar specwise to the 220H.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
yeah i really like the look of the prestige RGT series, my personal favorite has always been the RGT320QRBB

ibanez320top.jpg

:wub: one day, one day

FortePenance

Reaction score
yeah i really like the look of the prestige RGT series, my personal favorite has always been the RGT320QRBB

ibanez320top.jpg

:wub: one day, one day

RGT320BBQ! Haha, those are nice, but I like the colour of the wet-rose one more. Brings out the inner Stitch in me. :p Gotta say, that maple cap looks mighty nice. Faux binding-ish.

I kinda like the finish it has now.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. It had that sort of scruffy industrial metal look to it almost, IMO. I'm still going through to completely natural though.

FortePenance

Reaction score
Ihsahn plays one of those, no?

On Emperial Live Ceremony he was using a Jackson Soloist and he had an Ibby 8 on that 8-string promo vid.

That should look awesome. :metal:

I hope so. :D I need to get some thicker sand paper though. Ibzorange was right when he said I should use 60 grit. And I wish I had a palm sander. :(

Day 2 Pics btw, sorry it was dark when I'd finish. I've got all off the lacquer off except on that elbow cut it seems so i'm dealing mostly with paint now:

Getting those horns
ced941ab.jpg

0d2e4d15.jpg

97ce581b.jpg

And there's a tiny tiny bit of wood filler in the wood :(
f6467d61.jpg

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Two points:

1. Ibanez paint is (as you've found out) hard work to remove by hand. Try using paint stripper.
2. As it's a solid finish, you're likely to find bits of filler or not so nice wood under there. Guitar companies save the best looking wood for transparent or clear finishes.

I'm not trying to put you off, just making you aware of what you might find.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
looking good, pity about the filler though :( hopefully you dont find anymore

Ihsahn plays one of those, no?

indeed, more proof that the guitar is awesome :lol: i also seem to recall that somewhere on this here interweb that there's someone making a 7 string version of it :metal:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I just found this. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Please remove the neck before you sand anymore, it would be a pity to see it get damaged and it will make sanding easier.

FortePenance

Reaction score
Progress is looking great! :yesway:

2006emperorzi3.jpg

???

Oh, I'm not sure then. :lol: It seems like he does though, eh.

Two points:

1. Ibanez paint is (as you've found out) hard work to remove by hand. Try using paint stripper.
2. As it's a solid finish, you're likely to find bits of filler or not so nice wood under there. Guitar companies save the best looking wood for transparent or clear finishes.

I'm not trying to put you off, just making you aware of what you might find.

Yep, I was well aware of the filler but seeing as someone on the Ibanez forum stripped his RGT42 with minimal filler, I guess it'd be alright. If the body's totally chuffed, I'll take it to a pro to repaint.

As for stripper, I was/am kinda nervous about using chemicals on my guitars so I decided to go the old fashioned route. I've got time anyway.

You could left a satin finish there :metal:

That's the plan bro. :D

I just found this. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Please remove the neck before you sand anymore, it would be a pity to see it get damaged and it will make sanding easier.

Cheers. Can't remove the neck though (neckthrough). It'd be a lot better if I could tbh, my fingerboard's totally dirty now. :lol:

I'm going to need some more sandpaper sooner or later. Way I figure, if I don't finish this by the end of easter (doubt I will), i'll just have to face the scary design tech teacher at my school and ask if I can use the palm sander.