A weird question but why do so few metal bands have real honest emotion like this??

• Thread starter sol niger 333
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Talk about irony. :rolleyes:

Because you may not personally understand or feel the emotion in a piece of music doesn't mean it's not there. Break down that insecure wall of familiarity, open yourself to a little vulnerability and you might just feel it, now or another time in life, or maybe never. ;)

Way to only quote the part that didn't make you look like a condescending douchebag :fawk: When you lead with being offensive that energy will just get recycled back at you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
discussions like this can be somewhat difficult because for me; who am I to presume what a vocalist is portraying or how 'genuine' they are being?

Have Heart, for example. On record they are not a style of hardcore I would really care for, but live they were amazing and portrayed such a huge range of emotion and feelings live. They were a great live band and their vocalist had what I felt was the most emotional performance of any hardcore band I've ever seen.

Most people here though would just write it off as mindless hardcore drivel.

I dunno, these discussions are much the same as 'yeah but did he REALLY feel that 1/4 bend on the 12th fret?' for me.

Although I do understand it; Marco Sfogli for example is probably the most emotive guitar player I've heard for a LONG time, probably because his melodies/hooks are SO good and his work is not just mindless shred wank, haha.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
discussions like this can be somewhat difficult because for me; who am I to presume what a vocalist is portraying or how 'genuine' they are being?

Have Heart, for example. On record they are not a style of hardcore I would really care for, but live they were amazing and portrayed such a huge range of emotion and feelings live. They were a great live band and their vocalist had what I felt was the most emotional performance of any hardcore band I've ever seen.
Most people here though would just write it off as mindless hardcore drivel.

I dunno, these discussions are much the same as 'yeah but did he REALLY feel that 1/4 bend on the 12th fret?' for me.

Although I do understand it; Marco Sfogli for example is probably the most emotive guitar player I've heard for a LONG time, probably because his melodies/hooks are SO good and his work is not just mindless shred wank, haha.

Yeah i hear ya. It's dangerous ground and people are going to get butthurt. Especially when they suggest their own music and it turns out it's the very thing this thread is complaining about haha..

It's a question of personal motivation I guess. Physical and mental progression and innovation vs simple emotional and human connection. I think it's a valid debate and has probably been held on numerous occasions. I'd just like to see more of a balance.

Especially since this whole djent thing has taken off. Again it's objective and a personal taste thing so there's only so far the debate can go. I just think the brain can get in the way of good honest music sometimes.

David Gilmour is not thinking about time signatures when he's weeping through his strat.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Yup very valid points, especially around djent. So many bands get the single F# string open stab polymetric thing down, with layers and good production..........but what are they trying to portray? whats the message?

I suppose its the difference between paint by numbers and a picasso.

Edika

Reaction score
Perception of music changes with the evolution of our personality and has to do also with the environment we live in. We pass through several phases and what once may seem very emotional and meaningful, after some years we may have a completely opposite opinion. This is also reflected through the artists themselves and how their offerings sound like depending on the economical and social state they are in (see the original discs of most successful bands before they became successful and afterwards).

Because I had noticed that early on in myself I stopped judging other peoples preferences, especially if they did nothing for me. I also had a voice in the back of my mind telling me that under given circumstances and being in the right mood I might appreciate a suggestion from someone that I find indifferent at a certain moment. I had a friend that was trying frantically to make me listen to 70's rock. I couldn't get into them then and I still can't now, but there are some elements that attract me. I think there are very interesting bands of that era but I still can't commit emotionally to those sounds.

It is natural for younger people to listen to more extreme and technical music around teens and college/university because teenagers are going through several changes and mood swings as well as rebellious phases that may continue in university were the mind might more open to complex structures.

On the completely opposite side there are a lot of people that consider the so called RnB songs emotional and meaningful.

If you feel that you can't find emotion in metal music then maybe it is a way for your brain to tell you that you should shift to other things musically. That is actually a good and rather healthy attitude towards music or any other form of art.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
But I do agree, I'm tired of this "let's see who can play the most mathematically-challenging piece" pissing contest. It got boring the first day it started. I highly prefer emotionally-charged music over technical ability wank-fests.
You might want to reconsider your continued usage of this site.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Perception of music changes with the evolution of our personality and has to do also with the environment we live in. We pass through several phases and what once may seem very emotional and meaningful, after some years we may have a completely opposite opinion. This is also reflected through the artists themselves and how their offerings sound like depending on the economical and social state they are in (see the original discs of most successful bands before they became successful and afterwards).

Because I had noticed that early on in myself I stopped judging other peoples preferences, especially if they did nothing for me. I also had a voice in the back of my mind telling me that under given circumstances and being in the right mood I might appreciate a suggestion from someone that I find indifferent at a certain moment. I had a friend that was trying frantically to make me listen to 70's rock. I couldn't get into them then and I still can't now, but there are some elements that attract me. I think there are very interesting bands of that era but I still can't commit emotionally to those sounds.

It is natural for younger people to listen to more extreme and technical music around teens and college/university because teenagers are going through several changes and mood swings as well as rebellious phases that may continue in university were the mind might more open to complex structures.

On the completely opposite side there are a lot of people that consider the so called RnB songs emotional and meaningful.

If you feel that you can't find emotion in metal music then maybe it is a way for your brain to tell you that you should shift to other things musically. That is actually a good and rather healthy attitude towards music or any other form of art.

Bang on :yesway: although i dont wish to abandon heavy music altogether. Will keep hunting

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
Well, now the anger and complexity driven pissing contest has turned into a "what-speaks-to-you-emotionally-is-soulless-garbage" pissing contest.

This is key IMO. Music's ability to connect with you is entirely subjective- e.g. the example in the OP did nothing for me, but it made you feel something; it probably made the singer feel something too. That's three different perspectives on one piece of music, but there's no particular reason we should get the same emotion from it.

If you want to think about this meaningfully you need to disconnect the intent of the songwriter and just focus on the effect it has on you. There are hundreds of songs about being honestly emotional- very few of them are any good, regardless of genre. If I go down to my local venue tonight there will be a selection of acts of various genres, all equally sincere in their emotion, but 99% of them will leave me cold. I get excited listening to Bal-Sagoth, even though their lyrics have 0% emotional content. You probably don't. That's just how it is.

On the offchance that you do...

Excuse the rambling drunkenness :spock:

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
This is key IMO. Music's ability to connect with you is entirely subjective- e.g. the example in the OP did nothing for me, but it made you feel something; it probably made the singer feel something too. That's three different perspectives on one piece of music, but there's no particular reason we should get the same emotion from it.

If you want to think about this meaningfully you need to disconnect the intent of the songwriter and just focus on the effect it has on you. There are hundreds of songs about being honestly emotional- very few of them are any good, regardless of genre. If I go down to my local venue tonight there will be a selection of acts of various genres, all equally sincere in their emotion, but 99% of them will leave me cold. I get excited listening to Bal-Sagoth, even though their lyrics have 0% emotional content. You probably don't. That's just how it is.

On the offchance that you do...

Excuse the rambling drunkenness :spock:

Haha I felt humour and happiness from that Bal-Sagoth song :lol: :) Great post though and you're absolutely right. Great user name btw. One of my favourite SYL songs

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
Haha I felt humour and happiness from that Bal-Sagoth song :lol: :) Great post though and you're absolutely right. Great user name btw. One of my favourite SYL songs
Cheers. Glad it did actually make sense :lol:
FWIW, listening to City was pretty much the first time I remember thinking "I have a direct emotional connection to this musician"- it was (and remains, almost ten years later) surprisingly profound [edit: for me anyway!].

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
A weird question but why do so few metal bands have real honest emotion like this??

because you posted a radio rock band?

reminds me alot of

SATIRE AHEAD
why dont metal bands all have a REALLY, REALLY catchy chorus and lyrics similar to that of lady gaga, katy perry, and the likes.

i really enjoy pop music, turns me off when metal isnt really simple earcandy
/satire

this whole thread is as relevant as a "who is the best guitarist" thread, because of the subjectivity of the topic

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Cheers. Glad it did actually make sense :lol:
FWIW, listening to City was pretty much the first time I remember thinking "I have a direct emotional connection to this musician"- it was (and remains, almost ten years later) surprisingly profound [edit: for me anyway!].

Interestingly Devin references City as the last time he truly felt conviction and the necessary amount of honest anger to do metal 100% justice. And what a result. Fantastic piece of work. He said something along the lines of without truth and conviction its just a bunch of grown men making monster noises. Hence the dissolving of SYL. I'm just glad he had the balls to call it a day.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score

because you posted a radio rock band?

reminds me alot of

why dont metal bands have REALLY, REALLY catchy chorus and lyrics similar to that of lady gaga, katy perry, and the likes.

i really enjoy pop music, makes turns me off when metal isnt really simple earcandy

ummmm

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Yep Sikth have their moments for sure. As the Earth spins around and this one still get me.

Incredible solo too

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I will continue writing my mechanical sounding dissonant music thank you very much, I feel a connection to it and that's all that matters to me.

Latest posts

')