A weird question but why do so few metal bands have real honest emotion like this??

• Thread starter sol niger 333
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Feeling "emotion" over a certain song is a blend of your current mental state and the imagery or atmosphere conveyed by the actual music played. I can listen to a song from Band X and rage at my horrible luck, and then later on listen to the same song from Band X and feel optimistic and encouraged. I'd actually say very little of that actually stems from the notes, scales, and modes you're hearing, and more from in between your ears.

It's also quite ridiculous to say such-and-such sings more emotionally than this other dude. If you've been in the studio for any length of time, you start losing that connection in trying to nail a good take. It's even worse if you play the song live; except for the energy from the crowd, you aren't really connecting that same way you did when you composed. There's still magic, but it's the kind experienced when you share, not when you express something. Going back to the topic of singers, I'd venture to say that what you hear as "emotion" has more in common with an actor's ability to emote than someone's honest feeling while in an iso booth.

You're projecting whatever it is you think or feel onto music. Meshuggah may seem like it has conviction, but to me it's a lot of rhythmic chugging. It does nothing emotionally, except for some awe at the complexity of what those guys can do. Then again, if I liked them, I'm sure I'd be amazed by their intensity and honesty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I think it's really all subjective. I listened to the song you posted and to be honest I didn't get much out of it. I don't think it's any more or less emotional than the usual rock song. Like a few people have said before, it depends on your state of mind and what YOU personally get from a song.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I think it's important to try and find a middle ground. The music I write has technically challenging parts, but isn't a wank fest. I just use the tech to offset the emotion, and combine the two when it'll work. I think some AAL songs, as well as most Opeth and Rosetta songs are good examples of this

sovereignsoviet

mike patton fanatic
Reaction score
get Kezia from Protest the Hero, that album is beautiful. having the lyrics on you when you listen the first couple times helps a lot.

Zelos45

Chris
Reaction score
I know a lot of members here don't like these guys, but this band gives me chills every time I listen to them. I've been a huge fan since they started out, and they've stayed my favorite band for a very long time.

Hell yeah dude, Underoath is great, I hate when people label them "simple metalcore" and say they suck. They have quite a unique thing going on. And the cinematography on that video is amazing. :yum:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score

I think there are two (maybe three) parts to this.

First: some people respond differently to different things. Some people connect more easily with different emotions. I seem to do really well with melancholy and pain. Some people just really like happy, energetic, upbeat stuff. etc. And this links to part one and a half: people look for different things out of their music. I don't usually want to be moved to tears by an absolutely gorgeous piece, I'm trying to get shit done. If I want to just crunch work for a few hours, I'm more likely to put on Meshuggah, or Pelican, or maybe some electronica. Or Bitches' Brew. One of my friends is constantly listening to a huge variety of stuff that usually has very strong emotional content because that's what he wants out of his music.

Two: I think different kinds of music are somewhat biased in what they can easily portray. We all know metal does anger and rage very well. It does pain very well too. Moving into genuine sorrow? Doable, harder. Joy? Much, much, more rare. I'm not saying it's set in stone by any means, but how much super upbeat, joyful metal do you hear? It just lends itself to conveying certain emotions more than others.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I don't entirely get the point of this thread. Metal would be better with more synthy bass parts and songs about tears and relationships?

Seems to me the video you posted would be better with riffs and a better arrangement to catch my ear more.

What I don't get is why can't people like what they like and leave it at that? If you don't like metal that is cool with me. I happen to not really like the song in the video posted for my own reasons. To me it seems pointless to really get into a debate about music you don't like and "why can't it be this?" type of stuff. Find the stuff you do like and enjoy it, that is what music is all about anyways.

Now, I don't want to sound like an asshole metal head, although I play in a death/thrash metal band, so I will go ahead and say my favorite band is Dredg and to me they kick the pants off the video posted.

To me, this is how a song is written:

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Any BTBAM song is charged with so much emotion and has such an interesting storyline running through it that they are the first band that comes to mind.

Also Scale the Summit just ooze feeling...and still kick total ass.

Sethlab

Mesa/Boogie user
Reaction score
Any BTBAM song is charged with so much emotion and has such an interesting storyline running through it that they are the first band that comes to mind.

Also Scale the Summit just ooze feeling...and still kick total ass.

I literally came here just to throw BTBAM and STS into the ring. For me, I get all of my emotional impact from the music itself, which is primarily why I write instrumental metal. (the other reason being, I can't write lyrics to save my life.) BTBAM also has great lyrics to boot, and their music strikes the perfect balance of technicality and musicality.
BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME - MORDECAI - YouTube
The whole clean section to the outro makes me want to die from emotion.
Between the Buried and Me - 'Sun of Nothing' (LiveDVD) - YouTube
This song lyrically is very emotional and morose while still beating the shit out of you technically.
Emotion can be in all genres, even deathcore or djent. You just gotta find it.

EDIT: Don't know how to post the actual video... I suck.

Last edited:

jeremyb

Reaction score
Metal should be angry, if you want emotion hit up some post rock!

Wolf ov Fire

Hellspawn
Reaction score
OP has never listened to power metal

+1

Anyone else feel that Iced Earth or Iron Maiden has great emotional content?

Listen to Wolf and Im-Ho-Tep off of the Horror Show Album

For Iron Maiden IDGAF, all of their songs rock

Dream Theater, too

Sorry if it looks bad I have no idea how to do this shit.
watch

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I don't entirely get the point of this thread. Metal would be better with more synthy bass parts and songs about tears and relationships?

Seems to me the video you posted would be better with riffs and a better arrangement to catch my ear more.

What I don't get is why can't people like what they like and leave it at that? If you don't like metal that is cool with me. I happen to not really like the song in the video posted for my own reasons. To me it seems pointless to really get into a debate about music you don't like and "why can't it be this?" type of stuff. Find the stuff you do like and enjoy it, that is what music is all about anyways.

Now, I don't want to sound like an asshole metal head, although I play in a death/thrash metal band, so I will go ahead and say my favorite band is Dredg and to me they kick the pants off the video posted.

To me, this is how a song is written:

Read the thread before you comment please. I love metal. But a lot of it is manufactured anger and feigned emotion. I also LOVE Dredge to bits. I'm just saying I'm sick of the faux conviction and emotion in a lot of modern metal. People have nothing to say anymore especially in a lot of techy djent stuff. I guess I'm stuck in my ways but I can smell when a vocalist isnt feeling what they are singing and it happens A LOT these days in metal. I'm talking about CURRENT stuff. I already know and love most of the stuff you guys are posting.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Read the thread before you comment please. I love metal. But a lot of it is manufactured anger and feigned emotion. I also LOVE Dredge to bits. I'm just saying I'm sick of the faux conviction and emotion in a lot of modern metal. People have nothing to say anymore especially in a lot of techy djent stuff. I guess I'm stuck in my ways but I can smell when a vocalist isnt feeling what they are singing and it happens A LOT these days in metal. I'm talking about CURRENT stuff. I already know and love most of the stuff you guys are posting.
I did. I was trying to say that most music is artificial and manufactured today.

jeremyb

Reaction score
I LOVE this will destroy you. Have you heard Jakob from New Zealand? Yes metal should be angry but BELIEVABLY angry. Massive difference.

Of course! Jakob are amazing, saw them when they last played in Christchurch at Als Bar, which is sadly an empty lot now :(

Pretty stoked for the release of your new album too btw, Anamoly gets thrashed on the iphone and in the car ;)

Ibanez guy

Reaction score
u want emotion.......here u go....the whole song is emotional and VERY metal at the same time but skip right to 4:13 for the genuine sadness u can see from Chad..

Latest posts

')