Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Without knowing if those holes in the pocket go all the way through and aren't just CNC locating pins...is it possible that it's still a set neck?
They wouldn't be finishing body and neck separately if it were a set neck, and no reason to do a stamp in the pocket. You don't need 2 pins in the neck pocket to register on a CNC either.

Avedas

Reaction score
My main issue with a bunch of the Boden J veneer tops I've seen is the color from the finish bleeding into the sides past the top. A lot of them have white bodies except for the top and the bleeding really stands out with those.

They have done some solid colors though: https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop3620/DS05270247/

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
They got a little carried away with sanding around the edges of the pickup cutouts and the perimeter of that quilted top.

Why are they sanding that edge at all after staining the top? Shouldn't that already be done prior to staining? If they're worried about the inner edges, just paint inside the cavity instead of leaving the wood bare. There's going to be pickups in there and no one will care that its not bare wood.

j3ps3

Reaction score
Why are they sanding that edge at all after staining the top? Shouldn't that already be done prior to staining? If they're worried about the inner edges, just paint inside the cavity instead of leaving the wood bare. There's going to be pickups in there and no one will care that its not bare wood.

That is normally the kind of sanding you do when you're going to make a see-thru color. You can't just stain it black and add another color on top of the black. You need to sand some of the stain off. Also, if you sand the body with too fine grit, the stain won't be able to penetrate through the wood as well.

This is pretty much why I'm not keen on giving in-progress-pics of my builds. Same goes with food, it can look messy while you're making it, but that doesn't mean it's gonna look and taste like shit, when it's ready. Don't teach your dad how to make babies. :)

Last edited:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
That is normally the kind of sanding you do when you're going to make a see-thru color. You can't just stain it black and add another color on top of the black. You need to sand some of the stain off. Also, if you sand the body with too fine grit, the stain won't be able to penetrate through the wood as well.

This is pretty much why I'm not keen on giving in-progress-pics of my builds. Same goes with food, it can look messy while you're making it, but that doesn't mean it's gonna look and taste like shit, when it's ready. Don't teach your dad how to make babies. :)

Interesting. This is probably why I would be a shit guitar builder. :lol: I also have almost no interest at all in translucent finishes, and I've only owned a couple guitars that have had them. I don't like worrying about how all sorts of things will affect the appearance of my guitars. They get beat up. I don't want to care. Different strokes I guess.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score

You don't necessarily have to sand back (especially with veneer). The main issue with sanding back on veneer is it's very easy to sand through. You can gradually apply certain colors to get the effect you want without sanding back, though it's somewhat dependent on the dyes used/what color scheme you're going for.

Minute Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally! My Larada by GJ is arrived at somewhere east Asia!
I might not be able to post any review video, sorry.
But as I checked it’s well built and super light.
So it’s true, Abasi guitars concepts is delivering!
Thanks all!
D7D17432-B0F2-4B59-906C-508E2FB4A5A8.jpeg

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m reserving judgement until more comes to light about what happened with Falbo. That front has been suspiciously quiet is of late.

Latest posts

')