Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not sure if this is true or not, but it's possibly a 27'' - 25.5'' fan. Very close to the Iron Label.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I like it, more ergonomic fanned frets is never a bad thing

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that it is pretty awesome that a company that mass products guitars as Ibanez, is doing this kind of forward thinking and letting the guitar players input their thoughts on the design besides only the final aesthetics.

Ibanez is pushing the envelope on other companies (on the same market level*), leaving them behind, far behind and it is also awesome to see Tosin as one of the maestros in this process.

As far as testes go, I like the overall design, I think it is refreshing and truly out of the conventional Gibson/Fender styles. Is it a copy of others? not totally, but they surely innovated here and I like this better than the single cuts on their bass workshop series.

On the DiMarzio/SeymourDuncan, I think that DiMarzio should rethink their approach on the artists/public demand and start a more flexible line of business. Bad for some, good for others...

*Note - I am thinking on ESP, Schecter, Jackson...

You really need to never be in charge of marketing. Ever.

The 8 string market is probably under 1% of Ibanez' business so they're definitely not leaving everyone in the dust, nor are they being innovative when they're essentially just jumping on a bandwagon by going even more niche with a weird looking, fanned fret 8. Ibanez has a unique (RG) look which has been copied relentlessly by everyone (including myself) because its the product everyone wants. All they're doing is taking a chance on a really weird looking product that they hope will sell a few units and keep Tosin Abasi on their artist list. Again, this isn't forward thinking. This is a VERY niche product within a niche market with even more picky players.

Is it a copy of others? No, but it's basically a strandberg/ibby BTB bass design with a very trendy bevel using the same control routing programming and designs of the Iron Label 8's. THe only thing that's really changed here is the body design and the location of production. They've also gone and done a stupid and used the giant soapbars again that are almost universally hated by everyone. Thats not innovation. Hell, Rondo Music beat everyone to the punch years ago on this.

I'm really lost by the "more flexible" business line from Duncan and Dimarzio as they've got an absolutely ridiculous amount of products, catering to practically every type of music you could possibly think of. What exactly are you looking for these companies to produce and why exactly would they? Do you want them to create another set of signature pickups for an artist only to have them jump ship a year later after the models have been released?

If you're looking down at Jackson, ESP or Schecter because of this guitar and the fact that the those companies haven't done it, stop. Why would they even bother? They've got a working business model, products people are buying in droves and their popularity is only increasing with models from Jackson like the Bulb sigs, Schecter with the new KM series after already making the guitar that everyone is basically ordering as customs from other companies, and ESP with ...ok ESP needs to make more extended scale range guitars, but since Schecter/ESP are basically the same company on the level of import guitars, diluting your product line with another product pulls sales away from established revenue streams. Ibanez hasn't been able to release a product to even remotely compete with Bulb's lines of 6 and 7's, let alone the Schecter KM series guitars delivering $2000-$3000 guitar features in a $1000 package, and every single year, they (Ibanez) re-issue guitars and build them completely different from the actual reissues.

To sum up, get off Ibanez's dick. It's cool to see something different from Ibanez and lets hope they keep going in a newer creative direction rather than re-issuing 25 year old guitars that can't hold a candle to the actual guitar that they're supposed to be a reissue of.

Last edited:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I don't get having a "low" string on an 8 if you're not gonna give it enough scale length....

lewis

Reaction score
I don't get having a "low" string on an 8 if you're not gonna give it enough scale length....

range is range surely?. You dont necessarily buy a 7 and 8 string just for the lower string being as low as possible each time?

For example my 8 strings low is a Gb or Ab depending on what im writing, which is commonly more a 7 string tuning. So my 8 is effectively a 7 string with an extra high. It was just about adding more notes to me and not "I need a 30inch scale length because I own an 8 string and of course that means the low is going to have to be Drop Db0"

Shane Sanders

Reaction score
I don't see this particular bevel as 'trendy' ... it serves as the arm bevel and is totally ergonomic in keeping with the overall intention of the design. It then goes on to visually harmonize with the upper bout, completing that arc. As a guitar designer, I find that a very nice visual/functional solution. I immediately thought of the Claas Moby Dick, though, but this shape probably predates even that approach.

Agree with everyone that it looks better headless and probably would have been just as cool.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
As a guitar designer, I find that a very nice visual/functional solution.
Agree with everyone that it looks better headless and probably would have been just as cool.

As a luthier, i find it trendy. If i release a guitar with anything close to that bevel, I'll get called out for following trends if history serves me properly. It's still a viable functional solution. Carvin, Schecter and Ibanez have all doing giant bevels in very recent days.

Deception

deceived
Reaction score
Back view

7SYXhLy.png

From instagram vid

https://instagram.com/p/94dzmtC6gc/

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score

Considering it's for one of the few people who actually utilizes the range, I don't think what you or anyone has to say about scale length really matters. If it works for him it works for him. Also the whole "x scale isn't long enough" thing needs to die. I've been playing a 26.5" scale 8 in whole step down tuning for a while now with absolutely zero issues. Scale length is overplayed 'round here.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To sum up, get off Ibanez's dick. It's cool to see something different from Ibanez and lets hope they keep going in a newer creative direction rather than re-issuing 25 year old guitars that can't hold a candle to the actual guitar that they're supposed to be a reissue of.

Aaaand you just went a bit too far. Simmer down a bit :lol:

elkinz

Pun Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly the more I see it in different angles, the more im liking it. The back view kinda relit the flame for me, its a really strange a quirky design but it REALLY suits tosin! Hes always had weird looking guitars :p

very excited to see the finished product

')