ABC's take on Atheism

• Thread starter Nights_Blood
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
I know the subject of religion is a touchy one, but this is yet another case of the dominance of mainstream christianity in the media, and it's being broadcast all over the country tonight.

So i just watched Nightline, and it so happened that one of the segments was on atheism in America (which was called "Faith Matters"... that should tell you where this is going). More specifically, a guy named Edwin Kagan, who in ABC's words, is a "ringleader" of these atheists.

Kagan has a kind of support group for adult atheists, where, among other more casual activities, he performs "de-baptisms", in which he takes a blowdryer to the recipient for a few seconds, while jokingly saying things like "free at last", and the audience laughs along (of course, he pokes fun at other aspects of Christianity as well). Some people do take it as a sort of "cleansing" of their blind faith, though it is not intended to be serious.

Next they said he had a summer camp for kids. I though that was weird and almost discredited the guy, until it turned out that the camp was actually for already-atheist kids who were harassed in school by "believers."

Of course, being part of the mainstream media, ABC wasn't going to sympathize with such a "radical" group. They constantly referred to these atheists as being "increasingly aggressive", simply because they were getting their group out there. As reporters always do when they portray something in a negative light, he made extremely sarcastic comments about Kagan and atheism.

Here's some of the dumb shit the reporter said to Kagan, and this is only like the first 20 seconds of the interview.

Reporter: "Religion is the source, for millions of people, of strength, serenity, and it is a fuel for doing good works."

Kagan: "In some cases, it's also a fuel for doing some very bad works". (Which is correct)

Reporter: "Godlessness has been a force for evil as well. Stalin comes to mind, Pol Pat comes to mind...Given that we've had mass atrocities by both the faithful and the faithless, why use that as an excuse to mock?"
(He's not even the one who tied religion in with character. You did that, dumbass)

Kagan: You can mock anything you want to, because you have the right to. Th-"

Reporter (cutting him off): "But that doesn't make it RIGHT".
(Because exposing holes in your so-called "faith" is never right)
----

It just makes me fucking sick to watch these people get berated, and knowing that millions of people sat on their couches poinitng and laughing tonight. Tomorrow, they'll go to school or work and talk shit behind the backs of the "devil worshipping fag in algebra class" or "Tom, the atheist in accounting. I'm not an atheist, so i'm not bitching about being oppressed or some shit like that, just pointing out yet another vendetta by mainstream culture to alienate anyone who doesn't think like they do. And all this was only 20 minutes of a story much more worth my time, which they spent about 4 minutes on: The money we were giving to Haiti's government to help those affected by the earthquake. Apparently their government (and some of our charities) were witholding large portions of money. But that's for another thread

Oh, and as soon as the segment wraps up, the female anchor at the desk just has to hammer the point home:

"Mm. The blurry line between free speech and poor taste". :squint:

Real fucking classy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coupe89

Reaction score
What I hate is when you are an atheists everyone ask you if you were sexually abused as a child, because why else would you not believe in god.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It would harder to expect ABC/Disney to sign off of something that would offer a fair evaluation of both sides.

Anyway, if you think about it, most of what's on the news normally would serve as evidence to the contrary of claims of the benevolence or the existence of God. They can do all the "news magazine" faith-bolstering puff pieces they want for middle-America, but when the rest of their news outlet presents stories on natural disasters, war, tragedies, and other horrors, that's just another way of saying that there's a very good chance that we are alone.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Oh the joy of biased interviews on a biased network. WHO PRESUMES THEY ARE TALKING TO A BIASED VIEWERSHIP :wallbash:

I can't stand this sort of bullshit "reporting", it's funny when Colbert and Stuart do this kind of "interviewing" with prejudice as a lark, but from a multimillion dollar company like ABC (American Broadcast Network. American, Yo, show some damn form you idiots.) it's just disgusting, I've been disappointed by the reporting value of ABC many times. This is no different.

rhysmus

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
i don't classify myself as an atheist because atheism is still a religion in one way. I do not believe in religion at all, hence why i have an Anti-Christ tattoo on my calf.

To me religion is the cause of many many problems. Wars, debates, heck higher religious folk don't have to pay taxes. (that shit is wack!).

And lets all think of the story behind religion, they do not think dinosaurs exist, it was all a test of god. (this was the best explanation they could think of because the bible was written before the bones were found).

And one more thing, if we all came from Adam and Eve (the crazy folk who could talk to snakes! Must have been Ancestors of Harry Potter!) does that mean we are all ridiculously inbreed and Eve slept with her children.

If i offend, Meh, Damn i hate religion!

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
addiscartoon.jpg

This is how it is the majority of the time, and I hate it. I try as hard as possible to stay out of religious debates, but somehow, religious people can never leave me alone about my beliefs. It's quite annoying.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
i don't classify myself as an atheist because atheism is still a religion in one way. I do not believe in religion at all, hence why i have an Anti-Christ tattoo on my calf.

To me religion is the cause of many many problems. Wars, debates, heck higher religious folk don't have to pay taxes. (that shit is wack!).

And lets all think of the story behind religion, they do not think dinosaurs exist, it was all a test of god. (this was the best explanation they could think of because the bible was written before the bones were found).

And one more thing, if we all came from Adam and Eve (the crazy folk who could talk to snakes! Must have been Ancestors of Harry Potter!) does that mean we are all ridiculously inbreed and Eve slept with her children.

If i offend, Meh, Damn i hate religion!

Thanks dude, but that isn't the point of this thread.

Is anyone here really, REALLY surprised about ABC doing this?

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
It would harder to expect ABC/Disney to sign off of something that would offer a fair evaluation of both sides.

I know, and that's the point - they would never do so, because they know what the "acceptable" religion here in America is, and everyone would skew it and say that they were advocating atheism, and their ratings would go down. Unfounded panic by the viewers, which happens with a lot more things than religious arguments (Y2K anyone?)

Anyway, if you think about it, most of what's on the news normally would serve as evidence to the contrary of claims of the benevolence or the existence of God. They can do all the "news magazine" faith-bolstering puff pieces they want for middle-America, but when the rest of their news outlet presents stories on natural disasters, war, tragedies, and other horrors, that's just another way of saying that there's a very good chance that we are alone.

I agree, but most religious people will just tell you "God was punishing us for our sins", or "He works in mysterious ways". I don't think those starving children in Haiti have sinned any more than we have. A-rod had cheated on his wife, lied to millions of his fans about steroids... two of the seven "deadly" sins, and what happens to him? He makes 33 million a year and gets to screw Kate Hudson. Well, the mysterious part sure is right.

The only reason A-rod popped into my head was because when the reporter was asking Kagan about his kid (who is an ordained minister), the questions he asked came off like he was asking "does your son know you have this terrible disease?", while Kagan joked about it like it was nothing more than a Red Sox-Yankees rivalry. It's funny though - they accuse him of being this brainwashing (ironic) atheist, and his kid's a high member of the Christian church.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Fuck the mainstream news channels. All they do is get someone who thinks differently and try to break them down and make their argument invalid. Why are you gonna have someone who thinks differently from you on a network news show, so you can laugh? It's a sad joke.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
the mainstream media isn´t going to side with atheists anytime soon. i know they are more objective here in norway and in england, but in the US, nothing is going to happen until atheism is more accepted and respected first.

pink freud

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the USA is the ONLY western nation with such a disgusting mainstream view of atheists. The American media needs to grow up!

Americans in general need to grow up. Only 10-30% of Americans are atheists (or otherwise unaffiliated). That means that SEVENTY TO NINETY PERCENT OF AMERICANS STILL BELIEVE IN MAGIC. Let's face it, that's what religion is. The belief that beings can ignore the laws of physics (in the name of psychological security blankets).

The religious in this country determine our leaders, because without pandering to them there is no way a person will get elected. It's one of the reasons why I might, if I ever, move out of the country.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Americans in general need to grow up. Only 10-30% of Americans are atheists (or otherwise unaffiliated). That means that SEVENTY TO NINETY PERCENT OF AMERICANS STILL BELIEVE IN MAGIC. Let's face it, that's what religion is. The belief that beings can ignore the laws of physics (in the name of psychological security blankets).

The religious in this country determine our leaders, because without pandering to them there is no way a person will get elected. It's one of the reasons why I might, if I ever, move out of the country.

It's crazy to think isn't it.

Skyblue

Reaction score
What I hate is when you are an atheists everyone ask you if you were sexually abused as a child, because why else would you not believe in god.
what the eff, seriously? I've never heard that.

It's actually interesting to think what would an article about atheism here be like... religion is quite strong here, and while I don't have problems with religious people in person, I sometimes see stuff the religious community does... it's stupid, and borders with insanity.
Not hating on religion here- the thing I hate isn't religion, it's the lack of common sense and free will. for once, think for yourself, and don't blindly follow someone. I could throw some examples if I'm being unclear...

Can't really comment about ABC, since I don't have it here lol.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Stupid fucking people believe in stupid fucking things. Never going to change.

Reaction score
The whole de-baptistm thing is stupid in my opinion. As an atheist, you shouldn't really think in the first place a baptism means anything whatsoever. But I agree with the rest, atheists are probably the most hated minority around. It is a joke.

There are plenty of religious people that have done terrible things. That being said, probably way more religious people have done worst things than atheists.

Almost the entire world has been trained into some religion, and it turns on all of the few who take the logical approach.

Being atheist is OKAY. The people who are are strong because they are going against the masses, who are in many cases, hateful towards them. Hateful? Kinda ironic for "spiritual beings" and "men of God"... :scratch:

Moro

Big damn hero
Reaction score
I'm an atheist. I don't care if it's considered "poor taste". I'd rather have poor taste than poor judgement.

This shouldn't really annoy you too much, trust me. I've been doing this far too long. They can say whatever they want... It's reasonable, why they do it. Most religious people are scared, all the time.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Atheists Conduct De-Baptisms - ABC News

The Rise of Atheism - ABC News

Atheist billboard worries local business owners - ABC News

All of these were talked about in the segment.

what the eff, seriously? I've never heard that.

It's actually interesting to think what would an article about atheism here be like... religion is quite strong here, and while I don't have problems with religious people in person, I sometimes see stuff the religious community does... it's stupid, and borders with insanity.
Not hating on religion here- the thing I hate isn't religion, it's the lack of common sense and free will. for once, think for yourself, and don't blindly follow someone. I could throw some examples if I'm being unclear...

What religion if not that? People are taught to follow rules written by someone they have never met, and are also taught to accept that everything is the doing of their god, and that there's some reason behind it all.

Earlier I mentioned the Haiti earthquake. Now, wouldn't you think it to be against common sense to say, "well I know my all-powerful omnipotent god had the power to create that earthquake and kill hundreds of people, so now i'm going to pray to him to keep me safe"?

The whole de-baptistm thing is stupid in my opinion. As an atheist, you shouldn't really think in the first place a baptism means anything whatsoever. But I agree with the rest, atheists are probably the most hated minority around. It is a joke.

There are plenty of religious people that have done terrible things. That being said, probably way more religious people have done worst things than atheists. :scratch:

The de-baptism is a joke, merely meant to parody what they see as a poinless ritual. Now, some of them took it to mean a litle more personally, but were probably people who spent their whole lives giving money to and being active with the church, so you can kind of understand why. It's just a way for them to mentally put all that behind them.

And yeah, it only makes sense to say that. How many times have you heard of serial murders or mass killings that were commited in the name of god, compared to against it?

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
Since the statement I'm about to address has been made early in this thread, and I see it frequently, I think I will address it now.
Atheism is NOT a religion. It is the lack of a belief in god(s). If atheism is a religion then not-guitar is an instrument, or not reading being a hobby. It's not even a matter of "I believe fervently that no gods exist!" but rather "With the evidence (or lack thereof) presented, I see no reason to believe in god, though I am more than happy to be convinced otherwise".
Thank you.

')