"Aberration" by Persaeus (Axe FX Ultra, SD2, HEAVY Djent)

• Thread starter AlexWadeWC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
sounds HUGE! but somnething feels like its clipping a tiny bit. i think it's the kick and snare ( AKA early Drewsif Stalin syndrome. love you drew <3)

but that's a little tiny tweak that's easy to fix.

but GOD DAMN, this band sounds massive.

Thanks dude, I believe it's the snare, it was making the parallel drum compressor clip very slighty, but I just left it alone. Good ear ;) hahahaha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
I'm using Metal Foundry and I actually started out on the "Bleed" preset from the 2.2.2 update, but I changed the kick and I'm using multi-out mode and doing my own mix on Logics mixer which is what makes the drums really shine.

The only way to do it :) I love that Bleed preset as well. The Andy Sneap packs are cool too and I think they're only like $9 right now. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you're doing to that snare to make it sound that awesome through you're DAW's mixer? I hear some verb, but I can't put my finger on anything else. Are you compressing it? My next mix and I thank you in advance!

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
The only way to do it :) I love that Bleed preset as well. The Andy Sneap packs are cool too and I think they're only like $9 right now. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you're doing to that snare to make it sound that awesome through you're DAW's mixer? I hear some verb, but I can't put my finger on anything else. Are you compressing it? My next mix and I thank you in advance!

Lets see well it has 1 compressor on it in the SD mixer from the Bleed Preset, I left that untouched. Then there is a compressor, EQ, and reverb in Logic on it's channel. And then I have ANOTHER compressor on a "parallel drum compressor" channel, if you don't know what that is Google it, it really helps beef up the drum sound!

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Sounds sick as hell Alex. Good work. :yesway:

a1a2a3a4

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else getting a shit ton of bass? Seems really hard to hear any of the guitars when the vocals come in and the drums are on the cymbals.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
This already sounds better than their EP. Congrats mang, nice job!

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
Lets see well it has 1 compressor on it in the SD mixer from the Bleed Preset, I left that untouched. Then there is a compressor, EQ, and reverb in Logic on it's channel. And then I have ANOTHER compressor on a "parallel drum compressor" channel, if you don't know what that is Google it, it really helps beef up the drum sound!

Ahhh, I see! Yeah, I use a parallel in SD, but haven't tried using one through the DAW. I can see how that would totally make sense. You're the man, thanks! I'm totally going to be trying this out tonight.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
Oh I just shit alittle, This is absolutely awesome! God damn that tone kicks ballz Super badass mix man. You never disappoint!

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Ahhh, I see! Yeah, I use a parallel in SD, but haven't tried using one through the DAW. I can see how that would totally make sense. You're the man, thanks! I'm totally going to be trying this out tonight.

Oh yeah I have the parallel in SD as well because it's on the Bleed Preset, so yeah there's like 4 compressors total on the drums. hahahaha that might explain the punchiness :p

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score

Holyfuckinshit This technique TOTALLY just made my kit sound so much more amazing! I had been trying to figure out what I was missing! It definitely makes the entire kit sound more full. Can't wait to screw around with it some more. You the man!

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Holyfuckinshit This technique TOTALLY just made my kit sound so much more amazing! I had been trying to figure out what I was missing! It definitely makes the entire kit sound more full. Can't wait to screw around with it some more. You the man!

Hell yeah dude, to be honest this is the first recording that I have used it on as well, just spreading the love!! Glad it's working for you!! :hbang:

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
production and mixing keeps getting better and better by the minute

:bowdown:

still cant believe you did this with an Ibby RG7321 stock, sounds great thru the Axe-FX, maybe a lot better than thru my POD X3 Live (5150/Dual Recto rhythm patch)
:yesway::yesway:

guy in latvia

Reaction score
sounds really good man, personaly i would like the bass guitar to be more pronounced in the mix, having a bit more mids in it making the basslines audible.

also the drums sounds really huge but imo the toms and snare sound much too dark, they dont seem to have much character in the sound, very unnatural imo.

Bobo

Reaction score
Anyone else getting a shit ton of bass? Seems really hard to hear any of the guitars when the vocals come in and the drums are on the cymbals.

I like a shiat ton of bass :yesway: But I do see what you're saying. Is it because of a 7321 with stock pups isn't very clear? Maybe the bass drum is a bit bassy? I simply turned my sub down a bit to get it to sound how I like...but I do that for just about any music even my own songs. Am I hearing a couple subtle bass drops around 1:06, 1:21?

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
After listening in my car I do agree it's a bit bassy, I just need to bring the bass down a few db along with the vocals.

And yes there are bassdrops haha, quite a few :hbang:

Enselmis

Reaction score
Brutal as fuck. The snare is soooooo compressed, but I suppose that would make sense after 3 different comps. Is there any 100% uncompressed snare getting into the mix or is it all compressed at some point? If not, I'd recommend trying it as that could make it even more epic.

\m/

eternallygutted

Reaction score
wow, HEAVY AND HEAVY band...hahaha. i really like the band and good production alex. there are really good details in the mix. i like the intro with that stereo and stutter effect.;)

i can´t believe you get the vocals to sounds awesome without tube preamp...
i´ve a interface and a sm7b mic.
could you give info about vocal processing? i´d like to try your settings to improve my vocals.

thanks

')