"Aberration" by Persaeus (Axe FX Ultra, SD2, HEAVY Djent)

• Thread starter AlexWadeWC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Sounds awesome. My only criticism is that it's pretty dark. It's not muddy, it's just doesn't feel like it has much high end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eternallygutted

Reaction score
yes, it´s a bit dark mix but i really like it. my opinion, really overcompressed drums. i´d go for a more natural drum sound.
i´d appreciate a lot the vocal settings.:)

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
yes, it´s a bit dark mix but i really like it. my opinion, really overcompressed drums. i´d go for a more natural drum sound.
i´d appreciate a lot the vocal settings.:)

Vocal processing I have an EQ, removing all lows 80hz and lower, a 5 db boost at 1khz, and probably another 5 db boost around 10khz. With no tube preamp and using the Shure Beta58 the raw vocals were VERY dark.

I also have the PSP Vintage Warmer on the vocals, it's a tube saturation simulator so that helps with not having a tube preamp. and then there is slight reverb on the main vocals (obviously there is way more reverb on the big like "epic" vocal parts), and then I have a slight distortion on the vocals as well with some lame Logic amp simulator hahahaha.

eternallygutted

Reaction score
Vocal processing I have an EQ, removing all lows 80hz and lower, a 5 db boost at 1khz, and probably another 5 db boost around 10khz. With no tube preamp and using the Shure Beta58 the raw vocals were VERY dark.

I also have the PSP Vintage Warmer on the vocals, it's a tube saturation simulator so that helps with not having a tube preamp. and then there is slight reverb on the main vocals (obviously there is way more reverb on the big like "epic" vocal parts), and then I have a slight distortion on the vocals as well with some lame Logic amp simulator hahahaha.

hey, thanks for the quick answer Alex, it´s really appreciated.
yes, i have not a tube preamp (actually no money to buy a good one.haha) and i usually have to play with EQ to give more air and presence...

did you use a preset in PSP VintageWarmer? i never used it for vocals (sometimes i use it in the guitar bus) and i´d appreciate some info about.

and, most of the song it´s only one vocal take? and for example, in 1.09 or 2.50 (epic part) is double tracked (one left, one right)??
room reverb for most parts (single tracked) ,1.09 included and some different (plate/hall) in epic parts?

sorry for the large message, i really like how it´s sounding and i´d appreciate your answer a lot.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
hey, thanks for the quick answer Alex, it´s really appreciated.
yes, i have not a tube preamp (actually no money to buy a good one.haha) and i usually have to play with EQ to give more air and presence...

did you use a preset in PSP VintageWarmer? i never used it for vocals (sometimes i use it in the guitar bus) and i´d appreciate some info about.

and, most of the song it´s only one vocal take? and for example, in 1.09 or 2.50 (epic part) is double tracked (one left, one right)??
room reverb for most parts (single tracked) ,1.09 included and some different (plate/hall) in epic parts?

sorry for the large message, i really like how it´s sounding and i´d appreciate your answer a lot.

Yeah the main vocal track is single take with a hall reverb with .75 on time and 5 on the wet/dry mix so it's just barely in there.

For the "epic" doubled parts it's one left and one right, all the same plugins as the main vocal track but the reverb is 4.00 on the time and 50 on the wet/dry mix.

As for the vintage warmer i did not use a preset i just tweaked on it until i was satisfied.

Here are some settings:

Drive- +4
Ceiling- 0
Knee- 80
Speed- 30
Release- x1
Mix- 100
Output- 0
Freq left- 100
Freq right- 16
Low- -2
High- +4

myucussman

Ibanez Guitar Slut
Reaction score
wow. In-Fucking-Sanity. :hbang:

Can't wait to get my 1640i so I can start trying to get sounds like that.

Sounds really awesome, bro. :bowdown:

GinoBambino54

Reaction score
sounds good dude, i will say that the vocals are masking the guitar riffs quite a bit, its a little hard to discern whats going on guitar wise, other than that sounding pretty good

eternallygutted

Reaction score
Yeah the main vocal track is single take with a hall reverb with .75 on time and 5 on the wet/dry mix so it's just barely in there.

For the "epic" doubled parts it's one left and one right, all the same plugins as the main vocal track but the reverb is 4.00 on the time and 50 on the wet/dry mix.

As for the vintage warmer i did not use a preset i just tweaked on it until i was satisfied.

Here are some settings:

Drive- +4
Ceiling- 0
Knee- 80
Speed- 30
Release- x1
Mix- 100
Output- 0
Freq left- 100
Freq right- 16
Low- -2
High- +4

again, thanks Alex.
i think the mix sounds well balanced. my points to improve the mix would be to make more noticeable the guitars (1 dB or give more presence) and turn down some vocals volume (1-2dB). for me, drums sound a bit overcompressed but i think it´s my taste (for the this genre, it sounds very good).

no more compression in vocals? i never get lots of compression with vintage warmer and i need to put another compressor.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
again, thanks Alex.
i think the mix sounds well balanced. my points to improve the mix would be to make more noticeable the guitars (1 dB or give more presence) and turn down some vocals volume (1-2dB). for me, drums sound a bit overcompressed but i think it´s my taste (for the this genre, it sounds very good).

no more compression in vocals? i never get lots of compression with vintage warmer and i need to put another compressor.

Yeah I use an additional compressor as well

eternallygutted

Reaction score
Yeah I use an additional compressor as well

hehe. i supposed you used another compressor.
you are going to kill me (haha) but, what do you use in that compressor?

for vocals i usually put lots of compression like a 20:1 ratio, fatest attack and release and lots of Gain Reduction. what did you use for Persaeus?

nothing more in your chain? eq, vintage warmer, compressor, reverb, distortion. (vintage warmer+compressor or compressor+vintagewarmer?)

sorry for all my questions but i really like those vocals. i´d appreciate your answer and thanks for all Alex.:)

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
This is so fucking sick.
Are you gonna produce more?

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
hehe. i supposed you used another compressor.
you are going to kill me (haha) but, what do you use in that compressor?

for vocals i usually put lots of compression like a 20:1 ratio, fatest attack and release and lots of Gain Reduction. what did you use for Persaeus?

nothing more in your chain? eq, vintage warmer, compressor, reverb, distortion. (vintage warmer+compressor or compressor+vintagewarmer?)

sorry for all my questions but i really like those vocals. i´d appreciate your answer and thanks for all Alex.:)

Compressor settings are:
.5ms attack
6.0ms release
3.1:1 Ratio
0 knee
threshold -3.0
gain 9.0

chain is: vintage warmer, EQ, reverb, compression, distortion

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
This is so fucking sick.
Are you gonna produce more?

Yup! Already in the works on another Persaeus track and this other local band hit me up that sounds like Every Time I Die so that should be fun trying to get more "rock" tones

eternallygutted

Reaction score
Compressor settings are:
.5ms attack
6.0ms release
3.1:1 Ratio
0 knee
threshold -3.0
gain 9.0

chain is: vintage warmer, EQ, reverb, compression, distortion

thanks again Alex. listen, if i´m bothering you with my questions, please, tell it to me!

seeing your compression settings...it´s not noticeable compression with threshold at -3.:scratch: threshold at -3 and gain at 9? i´d tell you´re not compressing nothing with this threshold. am i wrong?

Yup! Already in the works on another Persaeus track and this other local band hit me up that sounds like Every Time I Die so that should be fun trying to get more "rock" tones

wow, another Persaeus song in your hands, i think that will be awesome again. i really like the "aberration" song but i think it´s a bit repetitive...hehe.
it´s great to know you´re getting new bands to record, i think you´ll make a good work with them.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
please, alex, never stop, i had my qualms with this production, but god damn is this song amazing sounding. :)

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
thanks again Alex. listen, if i´m bothering you with my questions, please, tell it to me!

seeing your compression settings...it´s not noticeable compression with threshold at -3.:scratch: threshold at -3 and gain at 9? i´d tell you´re not compressing nothing with this threshold. am i wrong?

wow, another Persaeus song in your hands, i think that will be awesome again. i really like the "aberration" song but i think it´s a bit repetitive...hehe.
it´s great to know you´re getting new bands to record, i think you´ll make a good work with them.

Dude to be honest I don't know shit about recording, I serioulsy have very little knowledge and most of my mixing is just from ear, I just turn knobs and tweak until it sounds good hahaha. I've been around a lot of engineers and studios being in the music business so i know what i like and what sounds "good" to me.

I have no rhyme or reason for my settings, so that's why they probably seem unorthodox but whatever, it sounds good to my ear so who cares :lol:

eternallygutted

Reaction score
Dude to be honest I don't know shit about recording, I serioulsy have very little knowledge and most of my mixing is just from ear, I just turn knobs and tweak until it sounds good hahaha. I've been around a lot of engineers and studios being in the music business so i know what i like and what sounds "good" to me.

I have no rhyme or reason for my settings, so that's why they probably seem unorthodox but whatever, it sounds good to my ear so who cares :lol:

haha, no problem Alex, again, thanks a lot for all the info, it´s really appreciated.
i can´t wait to listen the new Persaeus song. some melodic part this time?? or it will be a heavy heavy heavy song again?haha

i forgotten i like the 0.37-0.50 part. the left guitar (0 00 00), it´s high and low pass (extreme) and reverb and delay?

thanks

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
haha, no problem Alex, again, thanks a lot for all the info, it´s really appreciated.
i can´t wait to listen the new Persaeus song. some melodic part this time?? or it will be a heavy heavy heavy song again?haha

i forgotten i like the 0.37-0.50 part. the left guitar (0 00 00), it´s high and low pass (extreme) and reverb and delay?

thanks

Yeah man left guitar is just a lofi EQ (5 db boost around 1 and 2k, dip everything before and after those), and the right guitar is a lead tone with delay and reverb and the same lofi EQ

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score

:squint:

Seriously, your mixes are so huge. fffff :lol:

')