ABYSMALIA (Extreme Progressive Metal)

JouniK86

Autistic philosopher
Reaction score
Hi there guys!

After a three-year-hiatus from making my own music, I am returning to the game with the fifth full-length with this project. I recently posted some self-reflection and contemplation over my relationship with music at the band's Facebook account, as well as a preview track of what's to come. I hope you enjoy the tune. All kinds of feedback are warmly welcome. :)

When I made the decision to put a halt on ABSML for a while, I decided it was time to put my energy in pursuing other aspects of musicianship aside from composing. This was mainly - like I have previously stated - due to the rise of stress levels that emerged from keeping up with an album-per-year schedule and the difficulties of meeting my own standards in my compositions within such timeframe. During this hiatus, I strove to redefine myself as a musician and as a person - and I have to admit I've never felt so lost in my entire life. Mixing, producing and performing other people's music left me with feelings of great alienation and disconnect with myself. I have never enjoyed being on stage and I have always had difficulties in finding my role in carrying out other people's musical aspirations.

I quickly discovered that pretty much the only thing I truly enjoy about being a musician is the moment when you write down a section of a song that gives you _that_ feeling of discovering something valuable to yourself. Playing any instrument, singing and making everything come together production-wise are of no particular enjoyment to me - all of them are merely tools in bringing compositions to life and getting them out of my system.

Nine months after the release of "Amid Adversities" was the turning point for me. Up to that point, I had never enjoyed that album because I felt that musically it lacked emotional depth. I came to realize that this notion was inadvertently derived from the fact that I had worked too much on the album in the production stages and subsequently I eventually lost grasp of what I wanted to state and express with that album in the first place. Anyway, upon remixing and remastering the album, I eventually _did_ become aware of how exceptional montage of music I had pieced together. That was the moment when I understood that in order to control my mental impairments to a reasonable degree, I have to continue working on this particular project.

Later on, I quit working with Vermivore and downshifted my role a bit in Clock Paradox because I wanted to focus more on what is making me happy as a musician, which in turn is making me 'less imbalanced' as a person and a human being. I still very much work with Clock Paradox on our sophomore album that will also be out later this year, but I understood that I have to take it easier with ABSML in order to avoid any unrealistic personal expectations that inevitably will result in the onset of stress - both of which were the main factors that previously took all the enjoyment out of working for this project. I realized I had to do all this differently this time. So by the end of August 2013, I had written an entire album for ABSML with eight songs and started recording them slowly and with no rush or pressure whatsoever.

Fast-forward to present day. I am currently putting the finishing touches on our fifth album and it will be titled "Polarization". It is a devastatingly dark and disconsolate story about discovering, understanding and trying to adapt to one's own personal flaws and their effect on one's identity and the surrounding environment. Even thought it is once again chromatically progressing concept album, lyrics incorporate a variety of thematics, emotional aspects and standpoints throughout the entire album.

Without boring you with any further self-reflection rant, let's proceed to the actual content that may (or may not) have some value to YOU. Here is a tune titled "Cognitive Dissonance". It is placed in the more extreme end of what the album has to offer musically, as the lyrical themes focus on the prerequisites for the subsequent, more contemplative tracks. Don't miss the astonishing guest guitar solo by Mr. Mika Lammassaari from such Finnish metal outfits as MORS SUBITA, WOLFHEART and ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW.

There will be more news pertaining to the album later on, so stay tuned. And of course; feel free to share this if you believe it's worth listening.

With much love,
Jouni K
-ABSML-

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')