Accidents, and lessons learned

• Thread starter vansinn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
Meaning no pun, I felt inspired by Pondman's router accident.
We all have accidents, and I'm thinking we could share these, what happened and why, and the lessons learned about how to avoid it a second time, or for others to avoid similar things.
Mmnn.. probably a Bit of a long post. Oh well.. ;)

My first serious accident was in my teens on a lightly tuned-up two-stroke bike, driving slowly in a forest after dusk, trial style.
Driving down a gentle slope, front wheel hit a bump, making me accidentally twist the right hand, causing the engine to rev up, with the effect that the bike wheelied the handlebar up my face.
Luckily, I always wore full-face helmet, so no damage, other my pride.

Lessons to be learned: Trial-Style After Dark and alone, mya not be the best cocktail. And always wear helmet and other protective gear.

Another bike accident was due to a bike being understeered, that is, it didn't turn as much as expected, and needed to be pushed.
Again after dusk, thus dark, entering a turn on the freeway, which started soft but increasingly got tighter, I felt unsave, though my speed was absolutely tolerable.
So I ended up driving across the road, luckily no opposing traffic, jumping a 245Kg bike 2½ meters down on soaked sticky farming clay-soil.
This would've been ok (I'd done motocross) had the front wheel not hit a poking hole, so, bike and I took a major tumble.

Lessons learned: Again, full body protection (which I did use). Always expect changing road conditions, and be ready to fight centrepedal forces.

Another bike accident, rolling down a mountain slope in Turkey.
GF and I had been down a lagoon swimming, it was 45deg summerhot, I thought the engine didn't need warming-up.
On the way up the rough dirt road, the rear wheel skid a bit towards the edge, the engine choked, bike started to lean towards the edge, there was no place for the foot, so we rolled off the cliff, and got stopped by some large stones.
Fuel started dripping out, she was crying, but we had to get the bike up to avoid fire out there in the totally dry semi-desert bush land.

Lessons learned: Again, helmet - which we did use, but else just shorts and T-shirts. A small fire extinguisher might be a good idea when going alone in such conditions. A functional radio or phone, tested to be operational out-there might be a good idea. And foremost: make damn sure the engine is warmed up - and let the passenger walk the troublesome part, rather than play dirt rider in control!

Heavy sharp cornered metal stuff on floor accident.
I huge passive PC heatsink on the floor. No shoes on, early morning. Foot hit the sharp metal which ripped a spicy meat'a'ball off, blood squishing out in a fountain.
One hand down to block it, jump on one leg to kitchen for first aide kit. Jump to bathroom to flush clean while blood still squished out. Clean, disinfect, band aide on. No time for calling a doctor.
I lost a full-sized glass of blood, so with no breakfast or water yet, so I knew there'd be a shock reaction. Forced some dry food down with water, brought a glass of water to my couch, sat down for the 15 minutes of almost pass-out shock reaction. No biggie, I'm trained for this, but still.

Lessons learned: Don't fcking leave such sharp metal things on the floor! Clean up the mess. Always have first aide kit readily at hand.

Drill smack in the face. At my first job, two of us auto-electricians trainees, not trained mechanics, were ordered to mount seat belts in an old German car belonging to a big boss.
As the other dude was drilling a hole in the panel, the drill squished off, going straight for my eye.
Good for me I was short-sighted, wearing large glasses with thick plastic lenses.
The drill made a big impact, but I kept my eye.

Lessons learned: Use propoer protective gear. Learn to assess the situation, and use a proper setup, rather than handhold a big electric drill onto a curved surface. Learn to say no to assignments untrained for, though this may cause a loss of job.