Acoustic FX - suggestions?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so my efforts to get JWP to aim more towards the acoustic side of the coin seem to have paid off, as we now have a regular monthly gig as an acoustic act.

So, being a guitarist, I'm looking to expand my acoustic guitar palate a bit, since I'll be playing for 4+ hours at these gigs. I already use an OD for solos (not as bad with the piezo as you'd think), but I'd like to add a bit more, maybe some chorus and delay. Anyone got any suggestions for inexpensive pedals that work well with the piezos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ovation Piezos -> Boss OD -> StroboStomp/DI out -> board.

supertruper1988

Reaction score
If you have the $$$ maybe this: G-Natural Ive never used it but it sounds like it would be great.

Also I have heard that the Yamaha Magic Stomp works good.

PS I just use Piezo>EQ>Delay>Chorus>DI box>Mixer

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i dunno about fx too much, but that taylor ksomething preamp box has made whatever fx i HAVE plugged in beforehand sound at least decent, where as without they kinda didnt work typically. dunno if that helps all that much, but its worth looking into.
look into the visual sound h20 liquid chorus. the new version has a chorus too, which i havent tried. but it was pretty decent on a taylor 300 series acoustic, both with and without the pre

smueske

Reaction score
This may sound cheesy, but if expense is a consideration, you might consider the ToneWorks Pandora PX4A Acoustic Personal Multi-Effects Processor. It's about 160 dollars, is light and portable, and you can chain up to 8 effects.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I use an AG-Stomp (TDW does too, i think) and i use it primarily for a bit of EQ tweak, a touch of mic modeling and a bit of delay and reverb. I don't like adding chorus to my acoustic sound because it makes it sound too much like an electric, and running it in a split hybrid rig, i've already got access to electric sounds.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Once you play the MagicStomp stuff, you'll never go back. For those of you that don't know, the AG Stomp/Magicstomp is essentially the same. They use the same algorithms, only difference is the physical unit and interface, but tonally, the same. The Magicstomps are also real small, real easy to use, and very lightweight/portable.

In all honesty Mike, if you'll forgive a Roger moment, the piezo tone from my 2027 is really quite better than that myspace tone , IMO (which sounds typically piezo, and not really very realistic at all).

I really, REALLY have to quit being lazy, and reformat so I can post sound samples. :mad:

I fucking love your myspace songs, BTW. That's awesome. What great playing and singing. Fat-Bottomed Girls is terrific! :yesway:

On to the pedals, the MagicStomps are cheap as hell, and they sound incredible. But, seems everyone's use varies.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once you play the MagicStomp stuff, you'll never go back. For those of you that don't know, the AG Stomp/Magicstomp is essentially the same. They use the same algorithms, only difference is the physical unit and interface, but tonally, the same. The Magicstomps are also real small, real easy to use, and very lightweight/portable.

That pretty much sums up what I've heard from a couple of friends that have them. One uses an AG Stomp on his violin, in fact.

In all honesty Mike, if you'll forgive a Roger moment, the piezo tone from my 2027 is really quite better than that myspace tone , IMO (which sounds typically piezo, and not really very realistic at all).

Heh. You'd have to try hard to get a tone I disliked more. That's pretty much just Danny, Nick, and Ray, and it's all piezo with almost nothing on it. We're doing a new demo next month that I'm recording, and the guitars will have mics on them, thank you very much. ;)

I'll be miking cajon, too, which is more in the overall vibe of the acoustic performances, but that'll be a recording studio forum post of it's own.

I fucking love your myspace songs, BTW. That's awesome. What great playing and singing. Fat-Bottomed Girls is terrific! :yesway:
The funny thing is, we're barely on that. When we do it live with five of us singing, it's thunderous. That's Division's singer on the lead vox of that one, too (he plays bass in JWP.)

On to the pedals, the MagicStomps are cheap as hell, and they sound incredible. But, seems everyone's use varies.

Off to eBay...

Thanks to all. I had a feeling I'd end up with one of the Yamaha variants...

')