Acoustic Metal?

• Thread starter samdaman87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeathOfMusic

Reaction score
Couldn't link it as I'm on an iPod but somewhere on YouTube is a video of Devin Townsend playing "Love?" by SYL acoustically.

wankerness

Reaction score
Name some bands that have some epic acoustic pieces or songs. I have been stripped away of all my gear at the moment and all I have is an acoustic. I want some inspiration.

Check out Empyrium, they're like Ulver's Kveldssanger the non-dabbly version. Their first two albums are half doom-metal but "Where at Night the Wood-Grouse Plays" and "Weiland" are really dark, moody acoustic.

FinnBehemoth

Riffery Index
Reaction score
Check out some Agalloch, lots of acoustic stuff going on with them. And Alcest also comes to mind. Might wanna check them out too.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
+1 Agalloch, The Mantle is more acoustic but i personally prefer Ashes against the Grain

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Days of the New - probably more hard rock than metal, but there's some AWESOME stuff on the second and third disc:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You could always do some Rodrigo y Gabriella covers. They're Orion cover is awesome. Getting her rhythmic strumming technique down is a bear, but it would give you something to practice, that's for sure!

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
not something I'd learn to play, but this is pretty damn metal

this I might want to learn to play however:

aaaand, here's the epic:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Yeah, Opeth.. can't go wrong with their acoustic stuff, hell you can even learn their entire songs on acoustic without it sounding bad!

I think he writes most of the music on acoustic, something about it if its sounds heavy on acoustic, its going to sound super heavy on electric lol

Def the band i'd recommend, along with a few alice in chains songs

Eryalus

Reaction score
someone beat me to ewan dobson xP he actually has an acoustic metal album out, it's cool

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Borknagar released an entire album of acoustic music called Origin.

Yes, they did. And it was the single most boring album I've ever heard. Considering how much I enjoy Vintersorg when they slow it down, I was really disappointed.

Speaking of Vintersorg...

You can certainly tell it's a ballad, but its lined with some of their metallic sounds.

')