Acoustic set-up

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What're everyone's preferences when it comes to set-up on their acoustics?

Personally I go for 11-52 gauge strings (usually tuned down a semi-tone) with medium (I think of it as being 'comfortable'...not too high or too low) action. However, I've been thinking recently that it would be cool to have an Ovation-style acoustic strung up with a set of tens, and a fairly low action, just for flashy lead playing (a la John McLaughlin and Mike Campese)...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running 11's on my Ibanez AJ307. The action is pretty medium. I've found that to really get the low B to ring out like it should I can't slam the action down too far.

For slick acoustic lead stuff I just bust out my 2027 and deal with the acoustic tone.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I play Elixir 12's, I think, in standard.

I know jack shit about setting up acoustics, though. My Martin has pretty low action at the first 5 frets or so, but the bridge is a little higher than I'd like and it rises progressively as you go up the neck. It's never ubver-high, but it's a little higher than I'd like to solo across the neck, so most of my acoustic lead playing falls below the 10th fret.

What are my options here? I'm thinking not much save bringing it to a luthier and having him replace the nut (to raise the action a little at the first couple frets) and then pull and shave down the underside of the bridge to lower it higher up and get more even action across the fretboard? The truss rod seems fine, the neck has the slightest amount of relief and there's no real buzzing problems unless I really bash at an open chord.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score

I know jack shit about setting up acoustics, though. My Martin has pretty low action at the first 5 frets or so, but the bridge is a little higher than I'd like and it rises progressively as you go up the neck. It's never ubver-high, but it's a little higher than I'd like to solo across the neck, so most of my acoustic lead playing falls below the 10th fret.

What are my options here? I'm thinking not much save bringing it to a luthier and having him replace the nut (to raise the action a little at the first couple frets) and then pull and shave down the underside of the bridge to lower it higher up and get more even action across the fretboard? The truss rod seems fine, the neck has the slightest amount of relief and there's no real buzzing problems unless I really bash at an open chord.

I always leave set ups to the pros when it comes to acoustics. I have no problem working my own electrics but setting up an acoustic seems too much like a shop project.

arnoroth661

Tremol-no User
Contributor
Reaction score
I love to use .010s on my Ibanez AW... I have d'addarios on there right now, couple months old. Next time i play live with it i'll give it some elixer 10s i think. As for setup... Well it's perfect in everyway, so... :lol:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm guessing a pro setup is your only option if you want the action on your acoustic altered. No idea how much it would be unfortunately.

On a related note, has anyone here had the Buzz Feiten system installed on their acoustics?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing a pro setup is your only option if you want the action on your acoustic altered. No idea how much it would be unfortunately.

:shrug: Probably not much more than a hundred or two, which I'm willing to pay if the work's any good.

')