Acrylised Wood

• Thread starter demigod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

demigod

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
IIRC the wood is saturated with an acrylic under a vaccuum. I think you sacrifice some resonance and lightness for incredible strength and solidness in the process, but depending on which part you do it to, this probably doesn't make a huge difference.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC the wood is saturated with an acrylic under a vaccuum. I think you sacrifice some resonance and lightness for incredible strength and solidness in the process, but depending on which part you do it to, this probably doesn't make a huge difference.

If anything filling the voids, and increasing the strength would increase what you are calling resonance, through a decrease in the damping. Assuming the stiffness increases to a greater extent than the density, resonance would occur at higher frequencies respectively. Damping is a very import factor regarding the amplitude of resonant peaks.

demigod

Reaction score
Aah i see. So it improves sustain basically?
And what should you use for a regular clear finish?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
true, it would technically increase resonance, but it would shift it as well. you would get a brighter and less midsy sound, or something to that effect. really though, you wouldn't notice it much. and yeah, it would technically sustain more because of the increased density.

I don't know if you actually need a finish on it, but if you want to finish it, i would make sure the acrylic and the finish won't react with eachother, and that the finish will sit on the acrylic.

demigod

Reaction score
Yeah. But lets forget about the acrylised wood for a bit, and say i just whant to gove regular wood a clear finish. what paint should i use?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
the industry standard nowadays is polyurethane. the older less current one is nitrocellulose. Then there's the option of waxing it, and other similar approaches.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
There are some water based lacquers now that behave more like Nitro, without the health effects or some of the pain in the arse too. I know a guy who used to shoot nitro likes them a fair deal. Polys are the most durable, and resistant out there though.

')