Active Bass eating batteries

• Thread starter Shrooms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shrooms

THE WALLS ARE MELTIN
Reaction score
I have a 00' Ibanez SR885 with ADX5 pickups in it, and for some reason when I leave the bass unplugged with the battery in it, the battery dies in less than a week, but if I leave the battery out it lasts as long as a battery should.

What could be causing this? I'm thinking it's one of the two battery wires, but it could be something else. Can anyone help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
That means the wiring is not set up to have the jack act as a switch...Not that I know how to fix that.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Soneone at Ibanez Wiring your preamp has failed at their job. should just be a lsight wiring issue. grab a wiring diagram of the net so you can setup you jack as a switch

Shrooms

THE WALLS ARE MELTIN
Reaction score
I have no experience with any sort of electronics, I can set up any guitar like a beauty, but wiring is like a foreign language.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Research for good local tech.

or, make this into an excuse to order a new set of emgs with the solderless kits (they do them for bass pickups also surely?.).

Shrooms

THE WALLS ARE MELTIN
Reaction score
Research for good local tech.

or, make this into an excuse to order a new set of emgs with the solderless kits (they do them for bass pickups also surely?.).

I'm keeping this stock, hard to find em, it's pretty much the same thing as a K-5, but cheaper to find used. I got it on a freak guess on used.guitarcenter.com, it was listed as an "855" for 200+ shipping. I took a shot in the dark and got something I really like, and something that can produce a sound I want, for 1/5 of the price it went for new. It's got some wear, but nothing too bad. Little paint wear here and there, few nicks, nothing that can't be covered up by nail polish :metal: :lol:

It just eats batteries. My fix is just disconnecting the battery after every use, and using masking tape to keep the back on, for easy removal until I can afford to get it looked at.

Thanks for the help guys!

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Replacing the jack with a stereo one that will automatically switch on and off the pickup won't exactly kill the resale value on an Ibanez SR885, dude. They're solid basses, but there's a crapload of them out there and they're not exactly selling for top dollar; the people buying them aren't looking for originality, either.

Also, it won't change the sound, feel, or playability of the bass, and will make it MUCH less of a pain in the ass to play. No reason not to.

')