Active pickups - Under the cover

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
This may just be a silly/ simple question but, What do active pickups look like with the cover off? I've never seen a picture of one with out the pickup cover on it. I'm assuming its some sort of magnetic bar(s) with a preamp/EQ chip attached? Or am I totally wrong? I've wondered this for awhile.

Does anyone have a picture of what one looks like with out the cover on? I just feel silly having blackouts in my Agile Septor Elite 827 and not even knowing what the pickups look like under the hood haha. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You assume correct. Underneath the plastic and epoxy it's just a pickup with a preamp.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
oh lol, thats not as interesting as I hoped it would be haha. Still, Anyone have a picture though? I'm a very visual learner :D haha

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's what some guy did to a poor, defenseless EMG:

EMG_81_006.jpg

Active pickups are epoxy coated, so there's no way to peek inside without destroying the pickup.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Wow thats so cool, thanks. Its funny its exactly like what I thought it'd look like. I'm assume the shape shown there is just the way the cover was cut away? It's prolly more of a flat surface with bars and the electronics under that.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
Ah, so it uses a rail-like system instead of individual posts for each string. Interesting, I have always wondered what they look inside. And +1 for that Darth Vader comparison.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Ah, so it uses a rail-like system instead of individual posts for each string. Interesting, I have always wondered what they look inside. And +1 for that Darth Vader comparison.

There are a handful of passives that do it too, for what it's worth. I say handful, but now that I think about it, there's a lot of pickups with at least one blade coil...

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Now that we know it's two blades, I wonder how similar an X2N sounds....

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that we know it's two blades, I wonder how similar an X2N sounds....

Not all pickups with blade pole pieces sound similar. In fact, I'd say the X2N and EMG 81 are worlds apart.

Keep in mind, the EMG's coils are wound differently, and then go through a preamp.

Latest posts