Adding a subwoofer..

phantom911

Reaction score
..I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6's that I have going into my Toneport UX2 Analog outs. I wanted to add a sub to my setup so I can better mix bass/low frequencies. Is there a way that I can control the monitors and sub collectively?

-There is a sub-out on my computer

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
There are infinite different ways to work a sub into a studio monitor setup, but in brutal honesty it's not always a good idea, especially depending on what kind of space your setup is in.

If you go through with it, here's a helpful link:
How to Add a Subwoofer to Your Monitor System | Music Production Tips - The Stereo Bus Blog | Intermediate

Though, before you run out any buy anything, you should probably read about "Tweak's law" too:
All About Home and Project Studio Monitors

Hope this is helpful. :yesway:

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
I thought about buying a sub for a while, but decided against it, because only a small minority listen to stereo with a sub. Mixes for stereo won't be made with a sub for this reason. If you include information that only translates well in a sub, then people without one will miss out. If engineers need to check low end details in a technical sense then they can check on full range far field monitors.

Still, a sub will take a stereo input and send it off to your stereo pair. You'll be able to change the crossover frequency based on the frequency range detailed in your monitor's manual.

phantom911

Reaction score
That's a good point about everyone not having the same low end capabilities. It would also be used for movies and general music listening, not just for mixing music. So i'd still like to find a way to add one and be controlled in unison with my monitors

t3sser4ct

Reaction score
I don't know about using the sub output on your sound card in conjunction with your Toneport... I guess it would depend on if your software can support independent interfaces. If you can't get that to work, I'd look for a small but decent passive stereo mixer with a sub out (or just a line out if your sub has its own LPF). Just make sure the mixer actually handles those low frequencies. Then put the mixer between your Toneport and your speakers/sub.

')