Adobe FINALLY releases 64-bit flash for linux

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cev

Trollhammaren!!
Reaction score
Wow, I thought they never would :lol:

Took them FOREVER, though.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, one more step towards a linux desktop that can play more damned stupid Youtube videos and annoying bullshit from Myspace players that don't ask before deciding you REALLY need to hear The Devil Wears Prada at full blast... :woot:

FIEXD FOR YOO.

This is pretty cool - especially since x64 Linux, if I'm not mistaken, got it before OS X and Windows. Not that I'll be installing it, as life has improved significantly since I just disabled Flash, but I'm glad it's finally out - the road to 64-bit apps being 'standard' could use a few more travelers...

Jeff

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
Flash its on the way to being a new Web Standard up there with HTML and CSS. I have a feeling more and more flash sites will be emerging.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Flash its on the way to being a new Web Standard up there with HTML and CSS. I have a feeling more and more flash sites will be emerging.

You're probably right... but for the sake of the Internet I truly hope not - the HTML hell of the 90s still hasn't settled.

Jeff

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score

:noplease:

Flash has it place (video/ some applications) but typically using flash for something that can be done via html/css is just dumb and annoying to the enduser. (...waits for animations to play instead of getting what i wanted to see)

Flash sites are typically very cool the first time you visit them but can become tiresome very quickly.

a little flash goes a long way - lots of people get the "Las Vegas" effect and just want more over the top animations/mouseovers and page transitions (Check out 2Advanced v5 - Attractor )

I think for music and movie sites flash is pretty great , its not like you will be visiting them a whole lot - now imagine your favorite news site with all of the flash silliness added in... you'd get tired of it very very quickly...

You're probably right... but for the sake of the Internet I truly hope not - the HTML hell of the 90s still hasn't settled.

Jeff

Amen WTB css 3 compliant browsers

its not as bad now as it was back in the IE5 - 5.5/netscape 4 days but browsers still have their quirks (pun intended)

For example The line height difference in mozilla/safari/ IE drives me nuts - as well as how all browsers render the box model.

all mobile browsers need to die in a fire (well except for skyfire - that actually displays pages accurately - tho it converts a page to skyfire format and renders that - flash and everything....)

I think future web will have a lot more emphasis on mobile browsing - im not talking about stripped out .mobi sites but sites specifically designed to work in all browser formats easily.

')