Advanced tapping

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
can anyone provide me with a list of songs that i could learn to practice advanced tapping

when i say advanced tapping i mean like tapping that incorporates sweeping and anything like that.

feedback would be appreciated :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
Also, if someone can put up a TAB of chris broderick's betcha cant play this that would be cool

guitar pro would be best

thanks to all who reply:hbang:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase - every song...go

Seriously, this man taps out some crazy diminished sweep arpeggios and a whole bunch of others. Give it a try.

Also, check out some of Jason Becker's solo stuff. Doesn't necessarily need to be tapped but you could still learn to do it for super special show off brag rights.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a song per se, but nonetheless, an amazing video where he slows it down for you to hear each individual note easily

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Jeff tends to stick to the usual "add a note on top, sometimes with a slide" kind of tapping - Chris fits into the "advanced" category more readily to my mind.

For tapping + sweeping You could try a net search or simply add the next chord tone onto your arpeggios for the most basic effect. If you're in Amin and end on A on the 17th fret E string, tap the C on the 19th fret, slide up to E on the 24th, slide back down to A and pull off to E before descending. If the chord tones aren't your thing, just tap notes from the scale on top - easy stuff :)

Google video search (Sweeping and tapping lesson) The first one looks like Rick Graham so thats definately worth checking out:

multi finger tapping lesson - Google Video

Derryl Gabel does some nice two-finger tapping + string skipping:

The Essential Guitarist - Essential Derryl Gabel

Link to a nice Jennifer Batten .pdf:

Jennifer Batten - Two Hand Rock For Guitar

Whole bunch of video's from google video (multi finger tapping):

multi finger tapping lesson - Google Video

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Also, if someone can put up a TAB of chris broderick's betcha cant play this that would be cool

guitar pro would be best

thanks to all who reply:hbang:

There's already a couple of tabs of that circling around. Just google it. Some of the fingerings are a little strange, so you'll have to transpose a few notes closer together.

can anyone provide me with a list of songs that i could learn to practice advanced tapping

when i say advanced tapping i mean like tapping that incorporates sweeping and anything like that.

feedback would be appreciated :wavey:

There was that Guitar Techniques issue with 40 tapping licks. Some of the last ones are quite intense, so they'll perhaps help you. I could post them for you if you like.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
^^

+1

Lorieiro's got some cool tapping passages for Angra. Definitely check that one out.

darbdavys

Reaction score
Necrophagist have some really cool sweeps with tapping. Well, they're all awesome for me, but some ppl don't like them

SleepingSymphon

Redeeming Himself
Reaction score
Are there any easier licks or exercises good for building tapping strength in my picking hand? Specifically the pinky.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a couple of books/Videos by Jennifer Batten (link above) or Steve Lynch that may be helpful to you when it comes to multi-finger tapping but the very simplest idea is to take a tapping run you already know and play it with the finger you want to strengthen rather than your normal digit.

If you have trouble with (for example) your 3rd and 4th fingers then you could do a very simple cross-string tapping lick:

E-------15-----------
B-5-8-12-12-8-5-8-12

Where the B and G are tapped with whatever finger combination you wish and the A and C are played with your left. Or you could do a multi-finger sequence on one string a la Jeff Watson:

Hammer on the A and C with your left hand (if you're right handed) then tap the D with your first finger, E with the 2nd, F with the 3rd, G with the 4th then pull off to the 3rd, then to the 2nd etc etc.

E 5-8-10-12-13-15-13-12-10-8-5

There's quite a few lessons on multi-finger tapping lurking on the internet :)

SleepingSymphon

Redeeming Himself
Reaction score
Alright Dave I tried some of that and I didn't think it would be so hard to play the tapping in eruption with my pinky, but anyway my hand should be like a 90 degree angle to the neck right?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I just went with whatever was comfortable which is going to differ for everyone but I guess I was close to the sort of positioning Jennifer/Steve uses - not that I ever did huge amounts of tapping stuff.

I'm sure there were some excercises on the Steve Lynch video for developing tapping hand independance and strength - there might be some of that on the net if you look around?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Nice one Mr Shred :)

Couple more links to some fairly mental tapping licks for those interested:

TJ Helmerich:

GuitarStew - Lessons & Tabs

Matt Hale:

http://www.shredacademy.com/lessons/Matt%20Hale/matthale4.htm

Daniele Gottardo (Its in italian - run it through a translator if you need to):

Lessons @ Daniele Gottardo.com

I was trying to find a really definitive source of licks (its something I've gradually developed more of an interest in since all my right-hand fingers actually work :lol: ) but as yet I haven't found more than a link here or there. That said, there's more than enough information in those links to give you material for months and a great deal of impetus for developing your own.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
Satriani's Midnight and Day at the Beach
oops forgot Satriani's The Forgotten Part one

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Good call :)

There's a couple of lessons on two-handed chord voicings floating around that might be of interest as well - I'll see if I can find them.

')