Advice for a small combo amp for playing at home and for small gigs

• Thread starter larphi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

larphi

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a small combo amp, all-tube (or hybrid, I'm open minded) and low wattage (15/20 W, 30 max), for playing at home and for small gigs with or without PA system (and with a deaf drummer, you know what I mean ;)...)
I play metal (death/thrash).
I can't test all the models, so I need your advices, please !
My specifications :
- easily portable without breaking my back, that's very important !!!
- playable easily at low volumes, for example with a power soak to achieve a reasonably good tone, or if it's not possible, with a line out for headphones or whatever (and I know a good 100 w amp can be playable at low volumes, but that's not the point...)
- a FX loop would be a plus,
- not to much expensive (used, about 400-500 euros/USD max)
I envisage to change the speaker if necessary, to gain for efficiency.

My gear :
- Schecter Blackjack tuned to A#
- Maxon OD808,
- ISP G-string decimator,
- MXR 10 band eq

What about my list ?
- ENGL Gigmaster 15 W,
- HK Tubemeister 18 W,
- Laboga the beast 15 W (but no FX loop, argh...),
- Laney Tony Iommi Signature 15W
More powerfull :
- Laboga the beast combo 30 plus
- Laney Ironheart 30W
- Blackstar HT-20

I have only tested the ENGL with my gear, sounds not too bad !
Any advice/suggestion ?
Thanx !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mindwalker

Reaction score
In that budget I think the Laney iron heart is your best bet!
I have the studio version (you would need a separate cab). But it sounds good, does metal, 1w for home use (plenty loud mind you), headphones out.. You can record straight to PC and use impulses if you wish..

Other than that, the Engl Ironball but it's more expensive. Also sounds pretty nice.. I alternate between the ironball and the Laney at home.. Depending on the days I prefer one or the other! They're both that good! :) However the ironball seems to have more gain and is a bit more compressed on the lead channel. The Laney has a bit of dry sound in comparison.
The ironball headphones out sucks though.. It sounds better to play the amp at low volume than to use the headphones out

I don't use an OD or tubescreamer with either

Itchyman

Reaction score
You could probably find a deal on a Mesa Subway Rocket. It's one of my favourite amps. They are just over your budget when they're new, but you might be able to steal one for under 800 euros. They definitely can do metal, and so many other genres as well.

DeathPaupiette

Master-baiter.
Reaction score
The Blackstar HT5 Metal is a safe bet, 5 watts doesn't look like much but I find that it is enough for small gigs, and quiet enough for home use. The ISF is a cool feature too.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have not tried the Engl, but, off your list, I'd recommend the H&K, although the Laney is nice, too. I think the H&K has a pretty solid tone, though for medium to fairly high gain applications, plus the tone of it seems to me to gel a little better.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Don't think a 30W tube amp will be 70% less loud than a 100W. If you play death and thrash, consider a preamp pedal with a cheap but powerful solid state power amp. Consistent sound at any volume.

Preamp: AMT Legend series 2 pedals, Amptweaker tightmetal or fatmetal
Power amp: anything solid state with 200 Watts RMS or more.

Hook up a 2x12, 4x12 or 2 Thiele cabs and you're ready to go anywhere:hbang:

')