Advice for First 7

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all -

I've been playing for a long time, but am looking for my first 7 string. I think I'd like to go for a 26.5 scale to allow for downtuning if I decide to get into that. I think the lowest I'd probably go is A, so maybe 26.5 isn't truly necessary. My ideal budget would be a max of around $800 or less. I'm not opposed to buying a cheaper guitar and replacing the pickups if it's a better bang for the buck.

So far, here's my shortlist. I'm definitely open to any suggestions.

Schecter Damien Platinum 7
Jackson SLATTXMG3-7

If I open up to 25.5, then I was looking at the Ibanez 7421 or 7321 and replacing the pickups, or possibly an LTD MH-417

Also I definitely want to stick to fixed bridges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gofyourself

Reaction score
My advice is to go and play the guitar! DO NOT BUY without playing it!!

Ibanez Universe pretty hot!

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm... The Universe is a trem equipped, over $800 guitar. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Id suggest looking into Agile as well, you can't actually play them (unless you find them used) before hand but they have a killer return policy/exchange policy if you aren't happy.

Some of the best ERGs I've ever played for the price.

That is if you don't mind doing the 25.5 or 27" they don't do 26.5 from what I remember. I was using a Septor 27 for a number of years and it played B standard fine.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Used 7421 or 7621 if possible. Good quality, cheapish, 25.5 scale does A fine if you use thickish strings.

You won't lose on a used guitar like you would on a new one, and these are really solid players. I kind of regret getting rid of my stock 7621.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would the quality of an Agile be on par with a South Korean made Schecter though? If so, I'm intrigued, but if not then by the time I replace the pickups I'm probably better off with the Schecter.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Would the quality of an Agile be on par with a South Korean made Schecter though? If so, I'm intrigued, but if not then by the time I replace the pickups I'm probably better off with the Schecter.

I'd take a mid end Agile over a Schecter just about any day of the week, its all preference of course but I would say you're better off with an Agile.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
I own both of the guitars you mentioned and love both equally.

The Schecter is mahogany and Jackson basswood (according to Jackson's customer service rep anyway - nobody has a straight answer what wood they are) but both sound tonally similar to me.

I bought both having limited experience with baritones and find the scale length more comfortable than any 25.5" I've ever dealt with.

I find the Jackson sounds much better for standard tuned songs and use it primarily for instrumental music.
I downtune the Schecter for heavier rock preferring the EMG81 for dropped power chords and riffing, providing more attack.
This might also have to do with the strings they're currently set up on.
Jackson ships with 9-42 with a 56 low B
Schecter ships with 10-46 with a 56 low B
But obviously you can always change this.

If I could have ONLY one, I would get the Schecter. It just feels like it has slightly better build quality and I prefer the pickup selector in front of the vol/tone controls rather than between like on the Jackson.

On the other hand, I do prefer the EMG707 set better on the Jackson and the neck profile as well. The Jackson neck/fretboard profile is pretty much perfect for my playing style.

jackson_schecter.JPG

')