Advice for scales workout, jazz chords

Zyglthall

Reaction score
First thread here so hi everybody, I'm from Paris, France so excuse me if my english is not perfect.

I'd like to have some advices for :

- Practicing scales on my 8 strings guitar, i never really seriously practicing my scales even on my 6 strings, so, if you have links or advices for scales on 8 strings..

- Jazz influences / composition : I know a bit of musical theory so i don't start from nothing, I listen to some modal jazz like John Coltrane (i'm also open to musical suggestions, i really like My Favourite Things), I'd like to be able to put some jazz influences (chords, "scales") on prog metal composition (for example i really like Exivious and Ever Forthright).

Thank you guys ! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
If you like "My Favorite Things" you'll probably dig this:

Zyglthall

Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty cool, I like the chords progression and the modal infulence, however I'm not fan of the Oboe :p

Advices anyone ? :)

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
As for learning scales, Rusty Cooley's Fretboard Autopsy I and II are a great way to learn your scale shapes and how to properly utilize them. I'm not big into using DVDs to learn, but this one is the exception.